You are not logged in.

#26 2013-05-06 03:50:11

sadistic_angel

Re: Acer C7 Chromebook

Installed wicd
got rid of/disabled others (netcfg/netctl/networkmanager)
connected through wicd
worked right away.
Thanks for all your help SomeoneE1se
I'm so exited!

#27 2013-05-13 20:53:41

MaxterTheTurtle

Hello,

I wanted to let you guys know that I am still looking at this thread. I am waiting for the wiki to get updated before I made any more replys, but I wanted to see if I could get Arch at least running on the Acer C7.

sadistic_angel wrote:

ok so after reading through the chrubuntu script i found where the modules come in
I copied the to both /lib/ and /usr/lib/ to be safe
iwconfig now reports "enp2s0f0", "wlp1s0", and "lo"

I got everything else figured out, except I am still having the problem sadistic_angel was having. I don't know where to copy the modules from. Could anyone tell me?

Thanks!
MaxterTheTurtle

#28 2013-05-13 21:10:05

SomeoneE1se

MaxterTheTurtle wrote:

Hello,

I wanted to let you guys know that I am still looking at this thread. I am waiting for the wiki to get updated before I made any more replys, but I wanted to see if I could get Arch at least running on the Acer C7.

sadistic_angel wrote:

ok so after reading through the chrubuntu script i found where the modules come in
I copied the to both /lib/ and /usr/lib/ to be safe
iwconfig now reports "enp2s0f0", "wlp1s0", and "lo"

I got everything else figured out, except I am still having the problem sadistic_angel was having. I don't know where to copy the modules from. Could anyone tell me?

Thanks!
MaxterTheTurtle

This is just a mirror of the modules from the chrubutu script

wget http://grayhatter.com/C7/zgb-x64-modules.tar.bz2
tar xf zgb-x64-modules.tar.bz2

#29 2013-05-13 21:14:24

SomeoneE1se

And I'm not ready to post this to the wiki yet (because I haven't made sure it will work as I expect, but it "SHOULD")

this will install the kernel for arch.

And as the wiki says I've had no luck yet compileing my own working kernel. If anyone provide some insight, that would be AWESOME!

wget http://grayhatter.com/C7/zgb-x64-kernel-partition.bz2
bunzip2 zgb-x64-kernel-partition.bz2
use_kernfs="zgb-x64-kernel-partition"
vbutil_kernel --repack $use_kernfs \
  --keyblock /usr/share/vboot/devkeys/kernel.keyblock \
  --version 1 \
  --signprivate /usr/share/vboot/devkeys/kernel_data_key.vbprivk \
  --config kernel-config
dd if=$use_kernfs of=${target_kern}

Don't forget to set $targer_kern, or to replace it in the above script.

Last edited by SomeoneE1se (2013-05-28 04:28:00)

#30 2013-05-14 14:54:23

Helvetin

Hello everyone

I am quite new to Linux (about 2 years on Ubuntu) and even newer to Arch (since September on Raspberry Pi and just a few weeks ago managed to make it work on a 7 year old macbook).
I have an Acer C7 Chromebook and looking forward for the Wiki to be done and then I will certainly try it too  :-)  Great work already! Compliment to everyone!!

#31 2013-05-16 01:43:03

MaxterTheTurtle

Hello again,

I finally got to install the modules. That worked perfectly. I THINK that I installed the new kernel too. I used the command

uname -m

and it reported x86_64. Which, the image that I used to install arch was i686. However, the kernel version was only 3.40. So I THINK I got it working. I did have to change the command line though:

target_kern="/dev/sda6"
vbutil_kernel --repack $use_kernfs \
  --version 1 \
  --oldblob $use_kernfs
dd if=$use_kernfs of=${target_kern}

I went ahead and tried to install XOrg and XFCE4. I couldn't get it working. Bash couldn't find xinit, even though the file exists.

#32 2013-05-26 01:31:51

kdb424
Website

I'm having some troubles using this method of install. I installed Ubuntu, removed all the files, installed arch as per normal (I have installed arch many times before, I'm not new at that), and booted.I get to a login prompt, but it seems to not be loading modules, or using anything boot related. I set my keyboard layout in /etc/vconsole.conf same as my other arch linux install, and it's ignored. I can't happen to see what the boot errors are as it boots too fast from an SSD. Any suggestions? (using the kernel compiled from the post above mine, though any do that it seems.)

EDIT: Are you running the X86, or X64 version of arch?

EDIT2: Re-installed full x64. Working almost flawlessly. Still not loading my vconsole.conf which is a pain as I use dvorak. Ideas?

Last edited by kdb424 (2013-05-26 05:10:41)

#33 2013-05-28 04:25:50

SomeoneE1se

kdb424 wrote:

EDIT2: Re-installed full x64. Working almost flawlessly. Still not loading my vconsole.conf which is a pain as I use dvorak. Ideas?

I also use dvorak, and mine works as expected, can you please `cat /etc/vconsole.conf`?

#34 2013-05-28 04:29:17

kdb424
Website

KEYMAP=dvorak

same as my other working arch install on a "normal" PC. This isn't my first time around the block on arch. I actually bricked my install, so hopefully my next install works. Broke the partition table, and chromeOS was restored. Should have checked if it was a "battery pull fix" but didn't. I'll report back when I do that.

#35 2013-05-28 04:29:55

SomeoneE1se

MaxterTheTurtle wrote:

I did have to change the command line though

I went ahead and tried to install XOrg and XFCE4. I couldn't get it working. Bash couldn't find xinit, even though the file exists.

I missed that part, fixed in my last post now. Thanks!

How are you trying to start X? (I will try to help, but if you have a working command prompt, you might find the answer faster/better elsewhere in these here forums.)

#36 2013-05-28 04:32:41

SomeoneE1se

kdb424 wrote:

KEYMAP=dvorak

same as my other working arch install on a "normal" PC. This isn't my first time around the block on arch. I actually bricked my install, so hopefully my next install works. Broke the partition table, and chromeOS was restored. Should have checked if it was a "battery pull fix" but didn't. I'll report back when I do that.

How did you break it? (just curious)

That is SO strange, mine works as expected. If you're already going for a new install that ""should"" fix it.

Try and omit the 'quiet' from the kernel line when you resign the kernel. And let me know if that shows boot messages?

Last edited by SomeoneE1se (2013-05-28 04:33:32)

#37 2013-05-31 01:19:56

MaxterTheTurtle

Hello again,

I have everything working now. I have decided that for those who stumble across this thread later, I will make a quick Step-By-Step guide on how to get this working. I would like to say thank you to SomeoneE1se, sadistic_angel, miotatsu, and the ArchLinux community. For without them I would not have had any chance of getting ArchLinux running on my Acer C7. I hope this short step by step guide helps someone else out there.

(I made some changes to this script as of 6/7/2013. I also added comments. I'm also going to add some of this to the wiki when I get around to it.)

Requirements:
1.) Acer C7 Chromebook
2.) Another Computer
3.) 2GB Flashdrive

Steps Part 1: Creating an ArchLinux Image
1.) Download or torrent the ArchLinux Dual ISO from https://www.archlinux.org/.
2.) Download and install Virtual Box from https://www.virtualbox.org/ .
3.) Create a New Virtual Machine within Virtual Box.
    a.) The name can be anything that you want.
    b.) The type has to be linux and the version Arch Linux.
    c.) The memory size can be anything you want. I used 2048mb.
    d.) Select "Create Virtual Hard Drive Right Now."
    e.) Select "VDI."
    f.) Select "Dynamically Allocated."
    g.) The size doesn't really matter; I chose 8GB the default option.
    h.) Select "Create"
    i.) Select your Virtual Machine and hit "Run."
4.) The Virtual Machine will ask for a "Startup Disk."
    a.) Select the Dual ArchLinux ISO that was downloaded.
    b.) Select the x86_64 Bit version of ArchLinux on the bootloader screen
    c.) Partition the Virtual Box's hard drive:

cfdisk >> new >> primary >> (entire hard drive) >> write >> yes >> quit
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1

d.) Once Arch Linux has finished partitioning, type in these commands:

# Connect to the internet so ArchLinux can download the necessary files
dhcpcd

# Mount the Virtual Machine harddrive
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

# Make a directory to access the ArchLinux image files from 
mkdir /mnt/arch

# Make a directory to access the flashdrive
mkdir /mnt/flashdrive

# Change directory to the hard drive's mountpoint
cd /mnt

# Create an image to install ArchLinux to
truncate -s 1G arch.img
mkfs.ext3 arch.img

# Mount the ArchLinux image
mount arch.img /mnt/arch

# Initalize the keyring for pacman
pacman-key --init
pacman-key --populate archlinux

# Install the base system to the ArchLinux image
pacstrap -i /mnt/arch base base-devel

# Change-Root into the ArchLinux image
arch-chroot /mnt/arch bash

# Install wpa_supplicant
pacman -S wpa_supplicant

# You can install any other programs that you feel necessary to run on the Acer C7 immediately

e.) Insert your flashdrive into your computer and use Virtual Box to mount it inside the Virtual Machine.
    f.) Then type in these commands:

# Unmount the ArchLinux image
umount /mnt/arch

# Mount the flashdrive to store ArchLinux on
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/flashdrive

# Copy the image to the flashdrive (This may take a while!)
cp /mnt/arch.img /mnt/flashdrive

# Unmount the flashdrive
umount /mnt/flashdrive

# Shutdown the Virtual Box
shutdown now

ArchLinux should shutdown and the Virtual Machine should close. It is now safe to unplug your flashdrive from your computer. It now has a working image of ArchLinux.

Steps Part 2: Formatting the Arcer C7 Chrombook for ArchLinux
1.) Open your Chromebook in developer mode. (ESC+F3+Power)
2.) Open terminal. (ESC+F2)
3.) Login as chronos.
4.) Type in these commands:

# Get the script to partition the Acer C7 Chromebook
wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=qHQw0smh -O acer_c7_partition.sh

# Execute the script to partition the Acer C7 Chromebook
sudo bash acer_c7_partition.sh

The Chromebook will format itself with the correct partitions, then it will reboot.

Steps Part 3: Installing ArchLinux, Installing Modules, and Installing the Kernel
1.) When the Acer C7 Chromebook finishes rebooting, open terminal (ESC-F2) and login as chronos.
2.) Plug the flashdrive with the ArchLinux image on it into the Chromebook.
3.) Now we need to copy ArchLinux from the image file to the correct partition:

# Make a directory to mount the ArchLinux image to
mkdir mnt/arch

# Make a directory to mount the flashdrive to
mkdir mnt/flashdrive

# Make a directory to mount the ArchLinux partition to
mkdir mnt/sda7

# Mount the flashdrive
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 mnt/flashdrive

# Mount the ArchLinux image
sudo mount mnt/flashdrive/arch.img mnt/arch

# Mount the ArchLinux partition
sudo mount /dev/sda7 mnt/sda7

# Copy the files from the ArchLinux image to the ArchLinux partition
sudo cp mnt/arch/* mnt/sda7 -r -a

# Generate the correct fstab file  (THIS IS REQUIRED!)
sudo echo -e "/dev/sda7\t/\text4\tdefaults,relatime\t0\t1" >> mnt/sda7/etc/fstab

4.) Now we need to install the modules into ArchLinux:

# Download the modules
wget http://grayhatter.com/C7/zgb-x64-modules.tar.bz2

# Unzip the modules
tar xf zgb-x64-modules.tar.bz2

# Copy the modules to the correct folder
sudo cp 3.4.0/* mnt/sda7/lib/modules/3.4.0/ -R

5.) Now we need to install the correct kernel into ArchLinux:

# Download the x86_64 kernel image

# Unzip the x86_64 kernel image

# Set the use_kernfs variable to use the downloaded kernel image

# Set the target_kern variable to use the ROOT-C partition
target_kern="/dev/sda6"

# Make the kernel (?)
sudo vbutil_kernel --repack $use_kernfs \
  --version 1 \
  --oldblob $use_kernfs

# Copy the kernel to the ROOT-C partition (?)
sudo dd if=$use_kernfs of=${target_kern}

Steps Part 4: Booting into ArchLinux
1.) Now we need to set ArchLinux as the default OS to boot to:

# Set the Acer C7 Chromebook to boot into the ArchLinux partition
sudo cgpt add -i 6 -P 5 -S 1 /dev/sda

# Reboot the computer
sudo reboot

2.) You're done!

Last edited by MaxterTheTurtle (2013-06-07 19:21:04)

#38 2013-05-31 09:47:04

miotatsu

awesome guide MaxterTheTurtle! I think I'll try installing arch over the weekend smile I assume with chrubuntu already installed I can simply skip "Steps Part 2: Formatting the Arcer C7 Chrombook for ArchLinux" and everything else should be the same?

#39 2013-05-31 22:17:48

SomeoneE1se

The section using vbox is unnecessary if you already have a working linux install.  You can use any method of getting a working arch image.

Also, could you add some of this to the wiki?

Last edited by SomeoneE1se (2013-05-31 22:19:49)

#40 2013-06-01 05:34:34

MaxterTheTurtle

miotatsu wrote:

awesome guide MaxterTheTurtle! I think I'll try installing arch over the weekend smile I assume with chrubuntu already installed I can simply skip "Steps Part 2: Formatting the Arcer C7 Chrombook for ArchLinux" and everything else should be the same?

Yup, you can skip "Steps Part 2: Formatting the Arcer C7 Chrombook for ArchLinux." However, before executing the command:

sudo cp mnt/arch/* mnt/sda7 -R

You should probably remove all of the existing chrubuntu files by using the command:

sudo rm mnt/sda7/* -R

I would also check to see if all of the files were removed with the command:

sudo ls -a mnt/sda7

Good Luck, please reply and tell me how it goes for you. I'm willing to help you, and I want to know if everything that I typed works.

Last edited by MaxterTheTurtle (2013-06-01 05:34:58)

#41 2013-06-01 15:51:02

miotatsu

hm so from what I understand I'll need an x86_64 image? My other systems are all i686, can I somehow make an arch image off of chrubuntu or would there be a way for me to create an x86_64 arch image on an i686 machine?

#42 2013-06-02 05:07:52

SomeoneE1se

miotatsu wrote:

hm so from what I understand I'll need an x86_64 image? My other systems are all i686, can I somehow make an arch image off of chrubuntu or would there be a way for me to create an x86_64 arch image on an i686 machine?

You totally can make one from chrubuntu, but I believe there's a way create one from i686 as well. (I just don't know it)

#43 2013-06-03 20:34:08

miotatsu

I'm going to try to get an image made from chrubuntu but I've ran into some issues. I think I'm doing this right? I downloaded the squashfs root image for the x86_64 install media. I unsquashed it, can chroot in, etc. All is good there. I then proceeded to follow MaxterTheTurtles instructions (which btw has some mistakes, you mkdir /mnt/archlinux but then refer to it as /mnt/arch, and then later you start referring to only /mnt, also you need to init and populate the pacman keyring before doing pacstrap, I know what you meant though.) Anyway, all went well until pacstrap. Everything downloaded fine, the integrity checked out, things began installing, but then it started giving many warnings and errors for IO related things. I think perhaps it ran out of space? I am thinking later I will try starting with a larger image file... (I did truncate -s 1G as suggested in the steps)

#44 2013-06-03 23:49:38

MaxterTheTurtle

miotatsu wrote:

I'm going to try to get an image made from chrubuntu but I've ran into some issues. I think I'm doing this right? I downloaded the squashfs root image for the x86_64 install media. I unsquashed it, can chroot in, etc. All is good there. I then proceeded to follow MaxterTheTurtles instructions (which btw has some mistakes, you mkdir /mnt/archlinux but then refer to it as /mnt/arch, and then later you start referring to only /mnt, also you need to init and populate the pacman keyring before doing pacstrap, I know what you meant though.) Anyway, all went well until pacstrap. Everything downloaded fine, the integrity checked out, things began installing, but then it started giving many warnings and errors for IO related things. I think perhaps it ran out of space? I am thinking later I will try starting with a larger image file... (I did truncate -s 1G as suggested in the steps)

Thanks for pointing those out! I fixed them now. smile Sorry I wrote that really quickly.

Whilst, fixing those errors, I found another error, I forgot to set up the Virtual Box's hard drive. So that you would have enough space to install Arch Linux to the hard drive.

I'm not sure about the IO errors. I am going to try to make an arch.img with just 1 gigabyte. I thought that I used 1 gigabyte to make my arch.img, but it is possible that I used 2 gigabytes.

Edit: I just made an image using only 1 gigabyte. So I don't think that is the problem, if you want I could host the image somewhere for you to download.

Last edited by MaxterTheTurtle (2013-06-04 00:14:53)

#45 2013-06-04 03:27:13

miotatsu

MaxterTheTurtle wrote:

Edit: I just made an image using only 1 gigabyte. So I don't think that is the problem, if you want I could host the image somewhere for you to download.

Hmm, okay. If you could host an image somewhere that would help a lot, thanks. smile

Edit: I also just tried rebooting the chromebook, creating a larger image, and rerunning pacstrap, but no luck. It spams the warnings and errors when it gets to installing gcc. warnings are of the form: warning given when extracting ... (Can't create ...)
errors after those are like: could not open file ... Input/output error
could not commit transaction
Not sure what goes wrong, those errors to me seem like it's something like the image being to small (which isn't the case), tmp filling up (don't think that is it either), or similiar, and I have plenty of free disk space, 4% of /dev/sda7 used... oh well heh

Last edited by miotatsu (2013-06-04 04:10:49)

#46 2013-06-05 19:11:57

MaxterTheTurtle

miotatsu wrote:
MaxterTheTurtle wrote:

Hmm, okay. If you could host an image somewhere that would help a lot, thanks. smile

Edit: I also just tried rebooting the chromebook, creating a larger image, and rerunning pacstrap, but no luck. It spams the warnings and errors when it gets to installing gcc. warnings are of the form: warning given when extracting ... (Can't create ...)
errors after those are like: could not open file ... Input/output error
could not commit transaction
Not sure what goes wrong, those errors to me seem like it's something like the image being to small (which isn't the case), tmp filling up (don't think that is it either), or similiar, and I have plenty of free disk space, 4% of /dev/sda7 used... oh well heh

Hello, I'm still not sure what is wrong with your installation process. It looks fine to me. However, I did manage to get the arch.img hosted. I couldn't host it on my own server, because it would have taken you a millennium to download it lol. Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6RxS20 … sp=sharing I don't think that you can wget it, because I think that it requires Javascript to download.

Edit: This might let you wget it: https://docs.google.com/uc?export=downl … VdoOXk4YTQ

Last edited by MaxterTheTurtle (2013-06-05 19:13:18)

#47 2013-06-05 22:03:57

SomeoneE1se

Are you really hosting a blank 1gb arch.img? Or is it the installed image of arch?

#48 2013-06-05 22:31:18

MaxterTheTurtle

SomeoneE1se wrote:

Are you really hosting a blank 1gb arch.img? Or is it the installed image of arch?

Lol. It has Arch Linux x86_64 installed on it. I wouldn't host a blank image.

#49 2013-06-05 23:50:20

SomeoneE1se

MaxterTheTurtle wrote:
SomeoneE1se wrote:

Lol. It has Arch Linux x86_64 installed on it. I wouldn't host a blank image.

I didn't think you would, but I was confused... if you'd like I can host it at grayhatter.com

#50 2013-06-06 12:54:19

miotatsu

Thanks for the help so far everyone! I now have a working arch install on my C7, but wireless doesn't seem to be working.
I followed the steps MaxterTheTurtle listed, so (I should?) have the modules needed for wireless. ip link only reports lo.

Board footer