You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-03 11:48:08

textillis

Installation of ISO: With partitioning already done, where do I start?

The document I refer to is: http://ebalaskas.gr/wiki/archlinux/netinstall#h254-14

My question is:

Given that I have already used gparted to create a bootable partition, can I forego the first stages of the install procedure as set forth in the wiki
(which are all to do with partitioning, and creating a swap file) and proceed straight to the install?

If so, does that mean that my first task is to create mount points?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by textillis (2013-06-03 14:12:12)

#2 2013-06-03 13:23:24

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Installation of ISO: With partitioning already done, where do I start?

Where are you getting these, questions 2 and 2a don't make a whole lot of sense, and question 1 includes things not in the Beginner's Guide.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

As for #4, yes, you can as long as you don't hibernate one then try to boot the other, but formatting it to ext4? What?

#3 2013-06-03 13:27:48

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Not only are several of these question quite unclear, but there are many of them.  You should have one question per thread.  It will be confusing enough to try to make sense of one of those questions in a thread - we don't need contributors talking across different topics in the same thread to add to the confusion.

So pick one problem to deal with here, and elaborate giving us the needed background.  Suggested pre-reading: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Last edited by Trilby (2013-06-03 13:28:02)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2013-06-03 13:55:22

drcouzelis
Website

Scimmia wrote:

Where are you getting these?

textillis, are you reading this website? wink

Like Scimmia said, please use the Beginner's Guide. Only the Beginner's Guide (and the Official Installation Guide) is supported on the Arch Linux forums. All other guides have too many problems. (For example, the are for older versions of Arch Linux)

#5 2013-06-03 14:01:44

textillis

I am merely trying to clear up some questions which have arisen from reading before proceeding to the install.
Appreciate your response.

drcouzelis wrote:
Scimmia wrote:

Where are you getting these?

textillis, are you reading this website? wink

Like Scimmia said, please use the Beginner's Guide. Only the Beginner's Guide (and the Official Installation Guide) is supported on the Arch Linux forums. All other guides have too many problems. (For example, the are for older versions of Arch Linux)

Last edited by textillis (2013-06-03 14:14:36)

#6 2013-06-03 17:31:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Eh ... don't use that site.

Or if you want to use that site, enjoy, but we can't really help you.  Email the author of that page or ask on that page.  Many members of this community have put a lot of effort into making the begginers guide and keeping it up to date.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-06-03 17:31:58)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2013-06-03 18:01:20

ANOKNUSA

Assuming the other questions have been covered, and only the one about partitioning is left:  Yes, if you already made the partitions you can move ahead to mounting them and installing [base].  A bit of advice:  1) Be sure to check and double-check the system files (locale, fstab, etc.) you manually create after chrooting and installing the base system; and 2) If you only have access to a wireless internet connection, be sure you configure it before rebooting.  That's really the most tedious part, but shouldn't take too long.

#8 2013-06-03 19:31:34

textillis

Thanks kindly for the helpful response.
Duly noted.

ANOKNUSA wrote:

Assuming the other questions have been covered, and only the one about partitioning is left:  Yes, if you already made the partitions you can move ahead to mounting them and installing [base].  A bit of advice:  1) Be sure to check and double-check the system files (locale, fstab, etc.) you manually create after chrooting and installing the base system; and 2) If you only have access to a wireless internet connection, be sure you configure it before rebooting.  That's really the most tedious part, but shouldn't take too long.

#9 2013-06-03 19:41:17

textillis

Trilby, please accept my unqualified apology for running off at the mouth, making an unjustified and ugly snipe, after having picked up the wrong end of the stick.
Sincerely,
Tex

Trilby wrote:

Eh ... don't use that site.

Or if you want to use that site, enjoy, but we can't really help you.  Email the author of that page or ask on that page.  Many members of this community have put a lot of effort into making the begginers guide and keeping it up to date.

Last edited by textillis (2013-06-06 00:52:38)

#10 2013-06-03 19:55:36

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Trilby is right to caution you about using blog posts, videos etc to install Arch; the community documentation and the Official Install Guide are the only recommended (read supported) means of installing Arch.

Please refrain from ad hominem attacks, they are not welcome here (see the Forum Etiquette I linked to in your other thread).

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#11 2013-06-03 20:12:50

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

textillis wrote:

Listen pal, FYI: I took that site from an earlier respondent to this thread.
I am just trying to get oriented around here: your tone comes across as condescending, then finally just boorish.
Is that how you wish to come across?

(does the trilby go with braces, lederhosen and a very short, centred moustache?)

Following that rhetorical question with an example of Godwin's law undermines the whole post.

Please keep in mind that tone is often lost in online posts. Trilby's point is correct and intended to steer you in the right direction. We only offer support on this forum for the "official" installation guides. If you want to follow something else then you are free to do so, but we cannot help you with that, only the author can. Obviously we recommend the official guides and wiki. They are the most accurate and up-to-date.

I'd also like to ask you to please stop top-posting when you quote others.

*pulls out braces with thumbs and struts off in lederhosen*

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#12 2013-06-03 20:26:18

drcouzelis
Website

textillis wrote:

I am merely trying to clear up some questions which have arisen from reading before proceeding to the install.
Appreciate your response.

That's OK, I know what you meant. You are just using the Internet to research about Arch Linux. No problem. smile

...This thread is making me want to buy a pair of lederhosen / suspenders. yikes

#13 2013-06-04 07:09:25

textillis

Points taken about: not top posting; not "going for the man"; and keeping to the recommended texts (with one spec of reticence in this, as the text was referred to me here).

#14 2013-06-05 23:39:36

ANOKNUSA

drcouzelis was trying to confirm the suspicion that you were reading the wrong material, not suggesting that you read that site.  Read the post again, and you'll see that.  Harping on people who have been helping others here for years isn't the way to endear yourself to a new community.

#15 2013-06-06 00:49:54

textillis

Thank you for  pointing this out Anoknusa.

Board footer