You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-05 22:18:01

gauthma
Website

On the /usr intervention ...

I just followed the instructions on the good Arch homepage, and have now updated my system, and rebooted just to be sure everything was proper -- and it was. But this post is not about that fact per se, but rather about the fact that the instructions on the aforementioned homepage were not quite enough to finish the upgrade. Indeed, from the three:

# pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem,bash
# pacman -S bash
# pacman -Su

I could only do the first two, which yielded no errors. When running the third one, it hanged. Running pacman with --debug I got:

debug: running command: /usr/bin/wget --passive-ftp -c -O /var/cache/pacman/pkg/filesystem-2013.05-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz.part http://ftp.tuxdroid.org/archlinux/core/ … pkg.tar.xz
debug: XferCommand command returned non-zero status code (32512)
debug: returning error 52 from _alpm_download : error invoking external downloader

Not being really sure about what this meant, I just downloaded the filesystem package manually and installed with pacman -U, and that was it. But now I'm left wandering: was this extra step needed due to some misconfiguration on my system?

Do note that as per the instructions, before running those 3 pacman lines, I checked if there were any packages needing to be fixed -- there weren't.

Last edited by gauthma (2013-06-05 22:19:41)

#2 2013-06-05 22:21:36

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: On the /usr intervention ...

gauthma wrote:

was this extra step needed due to some misconfiguration on my system?

Most likely as most users didn't have this issue. But as some others may also have the same situation, it is worth learning about.

My first thought/question, was whether you entered the three commands in sequence in a single shell session.  There are a couple ways in which exiting the current session, or moving to another one between commands could lead to problems.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-06-05 22:25:49

gauthma
Website

Trilby wrote:

My first thought/question, was whether you entered the three commands in sequence in a single shell session.  There are a couple ways in which exiting the current session, or moving to another one between commands could lead to problems.

Yep, in sequence one after another, in the same session.

#4 2013-06-05 22:35:29

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Did you try running the XferCommand directly in the terminal to see what happened?

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#5 2013-06-05 22:38:50

gauthma
Website

Xyne wrote:

Did you try running the XferCommand directly in the terminal to see what happened?

No ...

#6 2013-06-06 06:53:43

jakobcreutzfeldt

I, too, had Pacman hang during the final "pacman -Su" after the disk-space check on one of my systems.  I saw a couple other people with similar problems. It seems that a couple of interrupt signals with Ctrl-C caused pacman to wake back up and finish the upgrade, so all was well in the end. I don't know if my problem was related to yours but yes, there was a certain amount of peril, albeit rare, during that final step.

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2013-06-06 08:51:22)

#7 2013-06-06 08:32:16

Gregorz

In my case it helped to commend out:

#XferCommand = /usr/bin/curl -C - -f %u > %o
#XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget --passive-ftp -c -O %o %u

In /etc/pacman.conf

Board footer