You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-04 08:07:08

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

[solved: udevil + devmon]autofs by label?

*    -fstype=vfat,sync,uid=1000       :/dev/sd&

Assuming auto.master has specified the base folder /media, the above works to put /dev/sdb1 into /media/b1 and so on and so forth (/dev/sdb8 into /media/b8).

However, I'd like to be able to do something similar but using the labels (/dev/disk/by-label). So something along the lines of:-

*    -fstype=vfat,sync,uid=1000      :/dev/disk/by-label/&

Which would mount any vfat USB drives as /media/<label> (I think).

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work. Any other way to do it? Don't mind switching to systemd's autofs if it'll solve it. The main thing is I do not want to have to pre-specify a certain list of drives (I already know how to do that in /etc/fstab for systemd and in /etc/autofs for autofs), I'd like it to be dynamic.

Thanks!

Last edited by ngoonee (2013-06-24 05:38:45)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2013-06-06 07:47:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [solved: udevil + devmon]autofs by label?

Anyone has any idea? I used to just use udiskie but its unmaintained now.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2013-06-06 15:15:01

WonderWoofy

I don't fully understand what you mean when you say

ngoonee wrote:

The main thing is I do not want to have to pre-specify a certain list of drives (I already know how to do that in /etc/fstab for systemd and in /etc/autofs for autofs), I'd like it to be dynamic.

Can you explain more precisely what it is you are trying to achieve.  From what I have read here, I am thinking that you would use systemd's autofs functionality... except  I don't really get this part.

#4 2013-06-06 15:40:15

skanky

If it's just USB drives, you could look at ldm?

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#5 2013-06-06 16:31:47

anonymous_user

How about udevil?

#6 2013-06-07 00:05:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

WonderWoofy wrote:

Can you explain more precisely what it is you are trying to achieve.  From what I have read here, I am thinking that you would use systemd's autofs functionality... except  I don't really get this part.

If I plugin a USB drive with a label TEST it should get mounted at /media/TEST

Right now the autofs solution above just mounts it at /media/b1 (if this is the first USB drive plugged in).

If I then plugin another USB drive with label DATA it should get mounted at /media/DATA rather than /media/c1

And anonymous_user, udevil is manual rather than automatic. Manual I'll just use sudo (that's what I'm currently doing while figuring this out) mount.

#7 2013-06-07 00:18:20

WonderWoofy

Thank ngoonee, that makes total sense.  Udevil is manual unless you start the devmon service.  Then it automounts.

#8 2013-06-07 01:38:32

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Ah did not know about devmon. Will give that a try sometime today. Thanks WonderWoofy.

#9 2013-06-24 05:38:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

And having finally found the time, devmon seems to do exactly as required. Thanks WonderWoofy. Marked [solved]

Board footer