You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-21 22:19:10

manouchk

better keyboard/dictionnary

Is it possible to have a better keyboard/dictionnary behaviour? It looks like android is so much ahead right now. I'd like to have a dictionnary that could handle at least:

- more than one language, namely, I'd like to use simultaneously three languages (English, French and Brazilian Portuguese). That would be something like swiftkey for archlinux. Don't know if it's possible but should be! It would be good even if there were no word suggestions. It is impressing that computer are now getting old with android stuff!!

With hunspell-en, fr and pt-br, we have to face about 20 dictionaries in firefox which is the ugliest part of my archlinux, now that I configured it systemd which is great BTW!

Last edited by manouchk (2013-05-23 16:45:40)

#2 2013-05-23 13:50:18

skanky

Re: better keyboard/dictionnary

aspell will handle multiple dictionaries at the same time - I've not tried, but would assume this enables multiple languages.

As for selling while you type, that would be WM/DE/Application dependant. There may be some DEs that provide it.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#3 2013-05-24 15:39:54

manouchk

I just discovered that midori support simultaneous dictionnary! I'm using it now! It accepts words from 3 dictionnaries, I selected in midori preference! So great. I didn't find so far something that I could not do with midory. I only have to test yet home banking which is the most complext task. I'm maybe migrating to midori. Is firefox going  to be obsolete?

I tried so far 3 diferent ways to define the prefered languages:
fr pt-br en
fr,pt-br,en
fr;pt-br;en

None of them work as expected...

Last edited by manouchk (2013-05-24 15:50:27)

#4 2013-05-24 15:41:52

karol
Archivist

manouchk wrote:

I'm maybe migrating to midori. Is firefox going  to be obsolete?

I want a T-shirt with this quote.
Dusty, are you listening? ;-)

#5 2013-05-24 16:00:12

manouchk

Small troll [?]
Well, I tried midori with hunspell and it did not work so far. They suggest to use aspell. That may be the problem? I don't know!

#6 2013-05-24 16:08:43

karol
Archivist

manouchk wrote:

Small troll [?]

No, I meant no harm and I wasn't making fun of you.

#7 2013-05-24 16:43:04

manouchk

No harm at all! I was just thinking of my little troll with such an obvious provocation!  (Is firefox going  to be obsolete?)

Anyway, midori just check my spelling for the last language in the list I putted in prefered language so that's not yet a working solution here anyway. I may have missed something simple yet.

Last edited by manouchk (2013-05-24 16:50:44)

#8 2013-06-02 15:35:37

manouchk

If anyone has any solution to reduce cleanely the number of dictionnary in firefox. That would be great. Midori is not some much an option in fact and check spelling does not seem to work very smoothly in midori.  For now, I need english, French and Basilian Portuguese dictionnaries but have to cope with 33 dictionnaries!!!
A solution maybe to make costum hunspell packages with single languages. I have though to learn a little bit about this kind of things before doing this!

#9 2013-06-05 10:15:55

manouchk

No solution. Too bad that makes me gRRRR!

#10 2013-06-07 09:00:23

skanky

There are dictionary add-ons that you can use, or just visit this page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo … age-tools/
The English dictionary there just pulls in one dictionary. I've not tried the others, but I bet they're the same.

You'll need to remove the hunspell ones though.

"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#11 2013-06-07 13:25:14

manouchk

How do I remove them from firefox without remove hunspell. Removing hunspell is, in principle, not really an option here, libreoffice-common needs hunspell. A crazy solution would be to install hunspell only when using libreoffice and uninstalling when quitting this application! No impossible but not very elegant!!

Is there any hidden way to make firefox to avoid hunspell dictionnaries? Maybe recompiling it with some specific option. Firefox package does depends on hunspell package right now.

#12 2013-06-07 13:35:43

karol
Archivist

I think that hunspell itself is not the problem, hunspell-xx dictionaries are.

#13 2013-06-07 13:45:11

manouchk

yes, I get that but if I uninstall hunspell-xx. I would not have spell checking in libreoffice. I just think that firefox should have an option to unselect a hunspell dictionnary. Maybe this option exists, I don't know. This problem is quite recent. This is not optimal but I can live with thoose 33 dictionnaries. I just think this is annoying and that on linux, and especially with firefox, I'm accostumed to much better stuff. I will give a try again at chromium but I'm not too much a chromium fan! Nothing is "perfect"!

#14 2013-06-07 14:53:14

skanky

I'm not sure what I'm doing differently, but I have both libreoffice and FFx installed (so obviously hunspell). I have the GB language pack installed for libreoffice (which includes four dictionaries), and I have the En-GB dictionary installed in FFx. In FFx I only have one language option under spelling, and the other English language dictionaries (za, ca, au) do not appear. I do not have the hunspell dictionaries installed. Thus it must be possible.

Therefore I think you could uninstall the hunspell-xx dictionaries and use the libreoffice and FFx specific ones:

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sor … =&flagged=
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?sor … =&flagged=

I think both LO and FFx use hunspell as an engine, and provide their own dictionaries.

#15 2013-06-08 02:10:10

cfr

I also use both. I have two dictionaries available in Firefox which correspond to my LANGUAGE environmental variable but also to the dictionaries I have installed in firefox as addons.

In other applications, I get more dictionaries because I see various different variations on English but not in firefox. Firefox seems to do rather better at de-cluttering and integration than other applications for me, as it happens. I would like to know where Fedora gets its dictionaries, actually, as their Welsh system-wide (not firefox) dictionary is much better than the one I use in Arch. (Although Fedora's thinks most occurrences of the definite article are misspelt for some reason but you can't have everything.) I also get more choices for English but Welsh is definitely the most problematic on Arch.

I have to admit to not really understanding the relationship between all of the different spellers and dictionaries in Linux. hunspell, ispell, aspell, enchant... (oops, just turned my laptop into a frog.)

EDIT: You know you can install just the dictionaries you want, right? e.g. for hunspell, I just have hunspell-en. For aspell, I have aspell-cy and aspell-en.

Last edited by cfr (2013-06-08 02:13:20)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer