You are not logged in.

#1 2002-12-15 21:05:08

mike

The Arch 0.4 experience! ;)

Hi everyone!

I'm finally back and just downloaded and installed Arch 0.4. For a beta version it works very nicely so far. I couldn't install version 0.3 without removing my SCSI card but this problem seams to be solved with the new beta.

1. Installation works fine.
2. Adding new packages with pacman works great. KDE was installed in a few seconds.
3. Configured my network, loaded the realtek modules. Internet is running after just 2 minutes.
4. Ok, X is up and running, KDE 3.1 beta seams to be pretty stable. It's time to install the NVIDIA drivers. Using the source archive this is done in 2 minutes.
5. Hmm, I can't get the sound to work as "normal" user. Using the kernel module emu10k1 the sound works fine as root. Normal users don't have the permission to use /dev/dsp. You might want to fix that.
6. It's now time for a serious test! I have just installed the Linux version of Serious Sam and it works perfectly. Very smooth and without any problems.

Overall I'm really impressed with this new release. I will keep testing it and give you some feedback!

#2 2002-12-16 06:39:14

sarah31
Website

Re: The Arch 0.4 experience! ;)

welcome back!

as for your sound as user problem this thread should help that.

don't forget to edit your /;etc/pacman.conf and uncomment the unofficial entries. i hav e recently added a huge number of packages to it an d there are more on their way in the next few days and weeks.

have fun and enjoy your yourself.

( i am indeed glad i got chased away from libranet smile )

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2002-12-31 03:43:32

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

mike wrote:

sound works fine as root. Normal users don't have the permission to use /dev/dsp. You might want to fix that.

sarah31 wrote:

as for your sound as user problem this thread should help that.

I have the same problem. The sound does fine as root but user don't have the permission. I checked the thread but too "high tech" for me or I didn't find what to search.

Markku

#4 2002-12-31 06:03:26

scottro
Website

As was said in that thread (though I don't know if the whole quote got in there) in Unix there's always more than one way to do something (and someone will be sure to say your way is wrong.)

I'm lazy, so I just compiled my sound into the kernel, this way I don't have to worry about loading the module--but I liked the idea of doing it in rc.local, it appeals to my sense of laziness.

So, let's say your sound card module is cmpci.  I added this line to /etc/rc.local

insmod cmpci

So, now the module is loaded.  I then did the following
As root or with root privilege

groupadd audio

So, let's say your user name is rasat
With your favorite text editor, open /etc/group--you'll see there's a new group called audio at the bottom. The line ends with a :   Right after the colon, put rasat so it'll look something like

audio:*:66:rasat

Next, edit /etc/devfsd.conf

Somewhere in there put

REGISTER  sound/.*  PERMISSIONS root.audio rw-rw----

Note some of the spacing--it should be REGISTER one space sound/*  (No space between sound and the / )

Now, you should be able to have sound for any user belonging to the audio group. (If you want to add others, it's comma no space--so if you had a second user, rasat1 the line would end with

audo:rasat,rasat1

Sorry if I gave you more info than you need, but wasn't sure where you got lost on that page, and this way, if the next person searching is a total beginner, it should help

HTH

Scott

#5 2002-12-31 06:14:39

sarah31
Website

for me i use alsa for sound and this is what i have put in my /etc/rc.local file:

modprobe snd-cmipci
modprobe snd-pcm-oss
chown -R sarah.users /dev/sound/*
chown -R sarah.users /dev/snd/*

the first line is for my sound card
the second is for other sound features such as mixer control and what not
the third and fourth lines actually change the permissions of all items in both directories.

you can also use devfs to control sound permissions by adding these lines to your /etc/devsfd.conf.

REGISTER sound/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 660
REGISTER snd/.* PERMISSIONS root.audio 660 

the second line is only necessary if you have alsa installed

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2002-12-31 06:38:30

scottro
Website

My bad--I DEFINITELY should have mentioned that I don't use Alsa.

660 would work I'm sure--it's just that I learned it the other way, and the older you get, the harder it is to break habits. smile

Thanks

Scott

#7 2002-12-31 07:49:33

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Thanks for the hints. I got the sound to work. My sound module is complied in my kernel. What I did, I used KUser tool to add a new group (audio) and linked it to my user (rasat). KUser is a handy tool.

Markku

Board footer