You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-09 05:06:59

saw2th

Dual Booting Mac OS X and Arch, rEFInd fails to open initrd file

I gave up on trying to solo boot Arch on a MacBook(1,1), and I'm dual booting. I have Arch installed on its own partition, and rEFInd is installed and configured through Mac OS X. I followed the wiki's instructions on moving the initramfs files and creating refind_linux.conf in Arch's folder on the EFI partition, and when I reboot, Arch appears as a boot option! This is good news! However, when I select it, the following happens:

rEFInd - Booting OS 

Starting vmlinuz-arch.efi
Using load options 'root=/dev/sda4 ro rootfstype=ext4 systemd.unit=multi-user.target initrd=\EFI\arch\initramfs-arch.img'
Failed to open initrd file: EFI\arch\initramfs-img
_

My question is, do I need to install refind-efi on the Arch partition, even though I've installed rEFInd on Mac OS X?
Also, do I need to install GRUB in Arch, even though I've [attempted to] used EFISTUB to link rEFInd with Arch?

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 2013-06-09 05:15:55

WonderWoofy

Re: Dual Booting Mac OS X and Arch, rEFInd fails to open initrd file

I take it you typed this out by hand since this: "Failed to open initrd file: EFI\arch\initramfs-img" does not match this: "initrd=\EFI\arch\initramfs-arch.img".  So ahve you checked to make sure that the paths are correct?  On my system, and by default, the initramfs is named "initramfs-linux.img" not "initramfs-arch.img".

#3 2013-06-09 05:21:55

saw2th

Yes, the slash is present in the first instance, but not the second. The wiki instructs me to copy the initramfs files from /boot to /boot/efi/EFI/arch, replacing the -linux with -arch, i.e. initramfs-arch.img from initramfs-linux.img.

I just realized: I installed Arch in BIOS Compatibility mode because 32-bit MacBooks have issues with booting from a UEFI disc. Would this have something to do with my problem? Would I be better off having rEFInd hand off the process to GRUB? I'm fine with using either EFI or BIOS Compatibility, though I'd prefer EFI.

#4 2013-06-09 13:33:07

WonderWoofy

Yes that would have soemthing (read everything) to do with the problem.  You can use UEFI, but you would have to use the 32-bit UEFI.  I think tht with those old macbooks, bios compatbility is the way to go. That is what I used on my 2,1.  That way you can use a 64-bit system as well (if that interests you) as long as it is a core2 or newer.

#5 2013-06-09 16:11:25

saw2th

Are you using GPT or MBR?

#6 2013-06-09 20:16:19

WonderWoofy

On a mac of any kind, in order to use the bios compatibility mode, you need to hav a hybrid MBR.  That is, it needs to be GPT, but instead of having a protective MBR, the MBR should actually contain real partitions.  The caveat is that you have to have the first partition of the MBR start at sector 1 and it has to be type coded to be a protective MBR.  The other three slots can match up to whatever partitions you want, though I think it is wise to include the /boot partition (or the rootfs if there is no separate /boot) within the MBR. 

Personally on my Thinkpad, I use GPT.  It is far superior to MBR.  But with macbooks you have to adhere to the funky quirks of their firmware in order to get things working.

#7 2013-06-09 20:20:09

saw2th

I ended up not dual booting (I only was going to because that was the only way I could get rEFInd to work). And I redid everything as MBR. And now GRUB works, and Arch is good to go. Thanks for your help.

If anyone having issues solo booting Arch on a 32-bit MacBook discovers this thread, my advice to you is to use MBR and BIOS Compatibility. I spent over a week trying to get an EFI boot of any kind, and had not an ounce of success.

#8 2013-06-09 20:29:51

WonderWoofy

I got 32-bit UEFI to work on my macbook, and I found it to be rather straight forward.  But 32-bit UEFI is not incredibly common, and I wanted to have a 64-bit system so that I could potentially chroot into my other computer's disk if necessary.  So that is why I ended up using bios compatibility on my macbook.

Edit: Oh yeah, and yes, using MBR only is also another way in which you can use bios compatibility mode.  Basically you just need to have a MBR with more than one protective partition, and I think you need to have one partition marked as bootable in the MBR.  It has been a while since I got all that macbook stuff working though, so the info is a bit stale in my head.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2013-06-09 20:31:17)

Board footer