You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-28 13:32:44

StrikerASD

Xorg -configure segmentation fault

Hi,
I have a problem and i cannot deal with it. It all started with deinstalation of XFCE4 and installation of enlightenment environment. I cannot configure X, and when i even want to startx i'm getting black screen. Mouse cursor appears for a second and then dissapears and nothing happens. Here is output of an error from Xorg -configure:
http://pastie.org/private/bkqswo5tkwo36rjbrrq7w

Thank you for all the help i can get smile

Last edited by StrikerASD (2013-05-28 14:31:21)

#2 2013-05-28 15:15:26

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Xorg -configure segmentation fault

Can you pasie your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file as well?

Also, what is it that you are trying to do?  In general, Xorg-configure just is not used much,  any more.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2013-05-28 21:31:00

StrikerASD

Hello... This is actually Xorg.0.log output, because it contain lot of info. I have misspelled my actions, and for that i'm sorry. I'm using Xorg -configure every time when desktop environment is not loading. It has been working when xfce4 was installed though. I've deinstalled xfce4 with pacman -Rscn xfce4 command. Then i've installed enlightenment. I've done that with the instruction from the wiki site about enlightenment. I have exec enlightenment start in ~.xinitrc file. But even without this exec command X doesn't start, because of this errors. I cannot pinpoint the problem. Is that driver, or hardware issue? Or is it something else?

#4 2013-05-31 11:41:00

StrikerASD

Ok, situation is as follows... I've installed xf86-video-vesa driver and all went good. Xorg -configure don't have segfaults anymore. But what it means? Is that means, that xf86-video-ati driver is corrupted? I've tested this driver on two graphic cards:
1. ATI Mobility Radeon X300
2. AMD Radeon 7850 2 GB

All with same results... Then it is no coincedence. Drivers are bad or what?
On my laptop i have custom kernel, on station with 7850 i have generic kernel if that helps

Last edited by StrikerASD (2013-05-31 11:41:33)

#5 2013-05-31 20:07:01

fenuks

Hello, I have similiar (same?) problem. Everything seems to work fine, but I wanted to generate xorg.conf and edit it in order to boost open ati driver.

I'm using xf86-video-ati version 1:7.1.0-3, xorg-server version is 1.14.1-1. When I run sudo Xorg :1 -configure I got this output. This is full log. Anyone know why Xorg fails? Thanks.

#6 2013-06-11 14:24:04

StrikerASD

Hi there. It's been a while. It's probably xf86-video-ati driver problem. I've read that xorg have problems with some graphic drivers. But i don't have xorg.conf file anywhere and my ati card works fine. Enlightenment however isn't working for me, because it can't start. Well... It starts but i see only a black screen, even changing to terminals doesn't help, because i don't see them. Only soft reboot (ctrl+alt+del) helps. But i've deinstalled enlightenment17 and installed lxde. Everything is working fine now for me smile

#7 2013-06-11 14:46:16

mav1

I fixed this issue the other day on a debian machine by installing the "firmware-linux-nonfree" package. Dont know what package it is in arch and if it will help, but give it a shot smile

#8 2013-07-06 18:42:47

paorpo

Hi there, I'm having the exact same issue using "Xorg -configure". As I want to change Xorg's keyboard language, I need to generate the default Xorg.conf file.
I'm am not fond of installing big random software package in order to solve the problem which is why I want to restart this subject.
I'm also curious of why does it segfault.

My Xorg.0.log file

Hope there will be a fix soon.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT : I'm also using xf86-video-ati

Last edited by paorpo (2013-07-06 18:43:56)

#9 2013-07-06 18:52:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

This thread is full of bumps all of the flavor "me too", but it seems no one has read ewaller's post.  Xorg -configure should not be needed for most (a vast majority of) circumstances.  It's certainly not needed to change your keyboard layout.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2013-11-26 21:48:56

StrikerASD

Hello all... I still getting the same segfaults with newest Xorg and xf86-video-ati drivers. So i need to ask that question... If Xorg -configure is not needed at all, then why E17 don't work?? I have FreeBSD 10-Alpha 2 and xf86-video-radeonhd driver installed and E16 is working just fine, but i have Xorg configured nicely. But this is other machine with AMD Radeon 7850 Pitcairn. I have still troubles with ATI Mobility Radeon X300 on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. I think that E17 don't work like it should, because it NEEDS xorg.conf file. Anybody have this problem? Where is the solution? Any links or something?

Last edited by StrikerASD (2013-11-26 21:49:46)

#11 2013-11-26 22:04:25

ewaller
Administrator

StrikerASD wrote:

If Xorg -configure is not needed at all, then why E17 don't work??
. I think that E17 don't work like it should, because it NEEDS xorg.conf file.

Apples and Oranges.

Xorg -configure generates a baseline monolithic xorg.conf file
Not using Xorg -configure does not imply you cannot have a custom configuration.

X has become very good at figuring things out for itself.   When it needs a guiding hand, one can create a configuration file that tweaks only the area of interest.  Rather than explicitly telling X how to do everything with a big bonking monolithic configuration file, one should put the bits and pieces in the xorg.conf.d directory (I am not certain of the exact name and path; I cannot ssh into my box to look right now)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#12 2013-11-29 16:45:45

StrikerASD

All right... Xorg -configure problem is not in my interest anymore on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. I've installed FreeBSD 10-BETA3 and here Xorg -configure works perfectly. I don't have enough knowledge to create a custom xorg.conf file. Previously i had only 30 FPS on glxgears, now i have 1202.424 FPS for example. I'm using the same driver, but different version of Xorg... I think >> FreeBSD Xorg version : 7.7, for Arch.. Latest. For the record, glxinfo on Arch Linux said that direct rendering is on. I don't know and i don't care now. Now is everything good. So thank you all for help. See you around

Last edited by StrikerASD (2013-11-29 16:50:41)

#13 2013-11-30 08:01:36

ewaller
Administrator

Well, I am happy you are happy.  Good luck to you.

But you clearly need to do some research on glxgears, its merits as a benchmark, and what it just might mean when you are getting 30 f/s.  (Hint: It is a good thing)

---

Board footer