You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-12 04:41:56

RonaldPottol

Kernel panic on uefi boot of the installer

I am using the current archlinux-2013.06.01-dual.iso and I made a uefi installer from the directions https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UE … B_from_ISO but when I try to boot the kernel (I get the menu just fine, and can pick other things), I get a kernel panic unless I use the noefi boot switch. Is there any way around this? Machine is an HP Envy DV7-7243CL . I do have screen shots of the kernel panics if they are of any use to anyone. The KMS related options do not help (nomodeset, etc).

I'd like to use uefi, rather than legacy BIOS, any tips?

#2 2013-06-12 04:46:28

mrgod

Re: Kernel panic on uefi boot of the installer

Same on HP Pavilion g6-2137sr.

#3 2013-06-12 04:47:51

WonderWoofy

You know that using noefi is not making you not use UEFI.  It is the way around the kernel panics.  It has to do with memory allocation and runtime services I think, not with how the machine is actually booting.

#4 2013-06-12 04:53:04

RonaldPottol

I wan't sure how that would play out, so I'll have a go at it. I do see that it hasn't configured the directories for it (I don't think that was /proc, um, I don't recall, one of the other "uefi and my life sucks posts here").

And given the hassles of the installer (I've done arch before, but it's not Ubuntu!), I didn't want to go through that and fail because of the noefi switch.

#5 2013-06-12 04:57:18

WonderWoofy

If you want, you can simply install via bios mode, which I presume you know how to use, then convert the installation to UEFI later.  In fact, you can actually just add UEFI without ridding yourself of the bios mode.  I have my machine set up this way, as although I like UEFI I still don't fully trust its reliability.

#6 2013-06-15 04:19:41

RonaldPottol

Well, the efiloader didn't work, the same kernel panic I got with the flash drive (and I was having issues getting it installed), but I was able to install grub-efi, and that works, though I have to select a boot device, and navigate to the grub-efi boot file, but it works. Still some debuging, but I'm making progress.

Now to get X working. Just for fun, I'm using Enlightenment. I like it.

#7 2013-06-15 04:45:13

WonderWoofy

It sounds like the EFISTUB kernel loader is what is causing you all these problems.  It has been a bit buggy of late, so it is probably better that you have a "traditional" boot loader like grub-efi or elilo.  That is, those boot loaders actually load the kernel and initramfs themselves.  Gummiboot and rEFInd on the other hand actually use a feature in the kernel itself as its own bootloader, which is what is referred to as the efistub loader.

There was a kernel update today, so maybe the situation has improved for you.  If the machine will load grub-efi, then it means that at least the firmware is working though it may be buggy.  Though again, it could also be that the efistub is buggy as well.  You might want to check for a bios update to see if things improve.

Also, if you want actual information from the kernel dump, you can navigate to /sys/fs/pstore and find info there.

#8 2013-06-15 05:17:09

RonaldPottol

Thanks for the pointers, I'm working on usability (yeah, I'm a wimp, I want X, and a pretty X (thus enlightenment for my window manager)), then I'll hunt down all the occasional issues (I mean, how often do I need to boot, really?).

#9 2013-06-15 05:22:23

WonderWoofy

RonaldPottol wrote:

Thanks for the pointers, I'm working on usability (yeah, I'm a wimp, I want X, and a pretty X (thus enlightenment for my window manager)), then I'll hunt down all the occasional issues (I mean, how often do I need to boot, really?).

True, choose your battles.... you know that if using bios booting is acceptable to you, then there is really no practical advantage to UEFI.  It is indeed the way of the future and sooner or later, if you continue to use a distribution like Arch Linux, you will end up learning it.  The only thing it can bring is the ability to install and configure multiple bootloaders, and it can slightly decrease boot time.

I'm the opposite of you.  I don't really care so very much about how the system looks (in fact I really dislike enlightenment personally) and I use a tiling window manager with more of less the default colors.  What I do enjoy is learning about the internals of my system.

#10 2013-06-15 05:48:16

RonaldPottol

Oh, I'm still using efi booting, just via grub. It is the future, and I'm picking it up, just new enough that people haven't figured out how to make everything bug for bug compatible with windows yet.

Window managers don't mater that much, I just got fond of E, after fleeing Ubuntu and Unity in horror. That is also a fight I'm willing to wait for another day, if I have to go back to wm2, so be it (ok, wmx, let's have a few features), E can wait for another day, but I'll put a bit of effort into it first.

Board footer