I just put a new graphics card in my box, and I got the drivers mostly working. Operation works normally most of the time, but I see issues when launching certain applications and sometimes when switching between ttys.
I'm using the proprietary drivers, following the instructions on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI_Catalyst
Every once in a while, there is a quick flicker when opening applications, but when starting something like Steam or running 'glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"' (recommended in the article to check whether things are working) the display freezes and begins flickering. This is only fixed by switching to another tty and rebooting.
I checked my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file after one of these episodes and found a backtrace with a message about a segmentation fault, but I cannot find it anymore.
Sorry there isn't much information here, but I'm not sure what else is relevant and I haven't been able to locate anything useful on The Internet
Last edited by cbab (2013-06-13 14:37:04)
After lots of poking around and debugging, I came to suspect my DE as the problem, I've been trying out Enlightenment. I installed KDE and tried a few of the things that have been causing crashes, and so far so good.
Since I haven't seen any more signs of issues (yet), I'll mark this as solved.