You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-12 21:52:04

wujek.srujek

screen remains dim after waking up on virtual terminals

I am having a strange issue when the display gets dim and won't get bright again, but only when I am no a vt.
I have an older (~4 yrs) Dell Studio 1737 with a Mobility Radeon inside with the xf86-video-ati driver:

$ lspci | grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV635/M86 [Mobility Radeon HD 3650]
$ pacman -Qq | grep xf86-video
xf86-video-ati
$ lsmod | grep radeon
radeon                754282  2 
ttm                    65132  1 radeon
drm_kms_helper         35086  1 radeon
drm                   229990  4 ttm,drm_kms_helper,radeon
i2c_algo_bit            5391  1 radeon
i2c_core               22479  6 drm,i2c_i801,drm_kms_helper,i2c_algo_bit,radeon,videodev

When I leave my computer on one of the virtual consoles (vt2 - vt6) and it is idle for (I think) 10 minutes, it gets dim (via DPMS, I guess?) . However, I can't make it go bright again - after I move the mouse (which I am not sure makes any sense since I have no mouse in the vts) / press any key, nothing happens.
Now, the strange thing is, when the light is right, I can just see the text, but it is very, very dark and unreadable. Under normal circumstances I can see nothing and the screen can't be told apart form a blank black display. Actually, I had thought it was blank for a while until only recently, when I had the Sun shining against the display.
I wrote a simple script whose name is 'b':

echo 10 | tee /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

and I left the console as root (!) for 10 minutes (!) and when the screen went dim I called 'b' and nothing happened. I have no other ideas about how deal with this one - I tried reading and looking around, and have pretty much nothing. Does this problem ring any bells? Does anybody know how this can be fixed (apart from "just don't leave it on the vt for longer than 10 mins" or similar ;d - these have occurred to me already). Of course, if you need any more information about my hardware, I will provide it.
I am running a constantly updated arch.

wujek

Last edited by wujek.srujek (2013-06-12 21:53:03)

Board footer