You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-13 13:28:44

rlt6246

[SOLVED] Slim unable to logout after second login

I've just performed a new install of archlinux with Xfce and Slim and I am experiencing an unusual problem with Slim (at least I am unable to find any mention of it in the forums). Here is what happens in different situations:

(1) I boot up, login to a user (I have two users, root and richard), logout, login to either the same or the other user. Then when I logout the second time, the background image remains, but I lose the panel and cursor and I get no repsonse from the keyboard, except that ctl-alt-F1/F2 restores the console where I am able to login. After logging in, ps shows that slim is still running. When I try to reboot from the console, I get the message

A stop job is running for SLiM Simple Login Manager

I get no further response and have to turn the machine off to reboot. I first thought this might be a permissions problem, but it occurs even if both logins are to root.

(2) If I boot up, login, logout and then reboot, the reboot proceeds normally.

(3) If I boot up, enter exit at the login prompt, the colsole comes up. If I then login and enter the command slim, I can login and out of my desktop as many times as I please with no problem. The command ps -efH  shows the same programs run after slim as in scenario (1), although in slightly different order. In this case I have no difficulty rebooting.

I've loaded .xinitrc and slim.conf at pastebin: http://pastebin.com/cqRhHGWj and http://pastebin.com/DXnQBSKx, but I doubt that the problem is there as I only made minimal edits to the example files.

Any help greatly appreciated as I am stumped.

Last edited by rlt6246 (2013-06-13 14:57:58)

#2 2013-06-13 13:45:06

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Slim unable to logout after second login

It's been mentioned a few times, in different ways. This is the latest thread that I've seen: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162287

It has a couple of solutions in it, and the topics I've linked to in there have other, similar solutions.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2013-06-13 14:50:52

rlt6246

Re: [SOLVED] Slim unable to logout after second login

Thanks to WorMzy for the link, and thanks to djraymondnm for the simple solution found in post [SOLVED] xfce-session-logout does not work as expected. For the record, let me post the solution here:

djraymondnm wrote:

Activate the "sessionstop_cmd" line in /etc/slim.conf as follows:

sessionstop_cmd    (killall --user $USER -TERM; systemctl restart slim)

Last edited by rlt6246 (2013-06-13 14:59:22)

Board footer