You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-13 22:35:09

kyeshi_0913

MacBook Pro Installation - Failed to Mount Real Root

Hi, I've been trying to install Arch on my older MBP for years now (2009 model, I think) with a single-boot configuration. I can successfully boot from the USB, where I get to select from three shells to boot in, being:

Arch Linux archiso x86_64 UEFI USB
UEFI Shell x86_64 v1
UEFI Shell x86_64 v2

Then, I select the first, and stuff just skims by at first, until I end up at something like:

:: Device /dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201303' mounted successfully
:: Mounting /run/archiso/cowspace (tmpfs) filesystem, size=75%...
:: running late hook [archiso_pxe_common]
:: running cleanup hook [archiso_shutdown]
:: running cleanup hook [udev]
ERROR:  Failed to mount real root device
Bailing out, you are on your own. Good luck.

Then I'm stuck with a shell as root with barely any commands to use (no fdisk/gdisk/insert-any-partitioning-tool-here), etc. I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen. Is there any guide on how I can fix this? Googling hasn't exactly worked, and I couldn't find anything on the Arch Wiki too easily.

Thanks for the help!

Important note:
Months ago, I got stupid and did try to install CrunchBang (BIOS boot only, obviously). That erased pretty much everything (that includes the EFI partition, etc.) and left me with a few unbootable partitions. So, uh, that is to say, if any suggestion involves booting up from OS X and doing anything, or using rEFInd/rEFIt, it won't work. Thankfully, however, I am able to do most Linux commands as I am currently on my primary system, Linux Mint. big_smile

Last edited by kyeshi_0913 (2013-06-13 23:02:15)

Board footer