You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-15 15:26:23

nfisher.sr

Can I install from a mounted iso without booting?

Just checking out arch after using lfs and freebsd for a number of years. I like what I've read so far, and am wanting to give it a go. I'd love to stick with FreeBSD, but frankly the upstream devs of most userland are getting really s***y about portability and I'm tired of fighting it. I even wrote my own makefile based automation of lfs to mimic FreeBSD's build system, and started work on a ports tree. But it's definitely reinventing the wheel and I don't want to get obsessed with maintaining it. So arch is looking right now like the closest thing to what I'd like my system to be, without my having to write and maintain a build system myself.

What I'm wondering is if I can mount the appropriate "root-image" from the install cd, chroot into it, and perform my installation from there rather than burning and booting the cd? It would make it nice and easy to be able to leave the installation docs open in a browser window and just install from a terminal. Also I don't like burning and wasting disks, especially if they're only going to be used once. It's a pet peeve of mine with most *nix distros. After my first introduction to the *nix world I had a box literally full of installation media because I tried so many distros, and none of it was used ever again. Anyway, I'd like to try it my way unless there's a compelling reason not to.

Thanks,
Nathan

#2 2013-06-15 15:34:50

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Re: Can I install from a mounted iso without booting?

Like this ? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In … veCD-image

Welcome to Arch. The wiki is full of useful information.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2013-06-15 15:35:26)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#3 2013-06-15 16:32:49

progandy

You could also extract the iso into a tmpfs and kexec the new kernel. Then you can even reformat the whole disk.

PS: I like to use cheap usb sticks (the 1€ / 1$ sort) which you can reformat with the install disk you want.

Last edited by progandy (2013-06-15 16:33:57)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2013-06-17 16:17:53

DSpider

I second the suggestion to use a USB stick. They're dirt cheap now. Look them up.

2-4 GB should be more than enough. And there's: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … tion_Media

As for the "installation docs open in a browser", open a new tty after the install media boots (e.g. using Ctrl+Alt+F2) and run:

# elinks wiki.archlinux.org

Geek level over NINE THOUSAND!

Enjoy.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2013-06-17 20:01:22

progandy

As for the "installation docs open in a browser", open a new tty after the install media boots (e.g. using Ctrl+Alt+F2) and run:

Or use the inofficial tmxgta iso which display the guide in a tmux split.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer