You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-13 15:59:51

vladimir_1922

[SOLVED] Wifi dropping on Youtube

I just installed Arch on a "new" laptop. The thing is that while watching a Youtube video on a browser, my Internet connection dies. It would be shown as connected, but any ping will give me time out (there is no errors to show). I need to reconnect again so it works.

I am not really sure if this is a problem of Youtube, or the flash plugin. I only had this problem after I got this computer, and the only thing that makes it different from any previous Arch installation I had done is that I am using a 32bit architecture.

This problem only happens if I use a web browser. Using youtube-viewer, or downloading it won't give me any problem whatsoever, and my Internet connection is stable as far as I don't use Youtube, so I am absolutely certain this is not a hardware problem.

As I said, when Internet dies, I won't get any message, so I can't give further details. In fact, wicd or network manager will show as the connection is up and strong.

Even if this is not really pressing, as I can easily sort the usage of Youtube on a browser, I am really curious to know what is causing this problem. What would you think it is? There is any way of fixing it?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by vladimir_1922 (2013-06-17 22:42:02)

#2 2013-06-16 02:12:29

oboenerd

Re: [SOLVED] Wifi dropping on Youtube

What is your network setting like?  Are you on a wireless connection?  Are you using DHCP?

"I quoted myself." -oboenerd

#3 2013-06-16 08:47:06

vladimir_1922

oboenerd wrote:

What is your network setting like?  Are you on a wireless connection?  Are you using DHCP?

First of all: Thank you so much for your reply! Second: I am sorry, but when it reaches network, my knowledge is gust a big, dark and deep hole.

I am using a wireless connection. The thing with DHCP is confusing me: I did let the default config for Network Manager, which to my understanding uses DHCP (and it is set for doing so), but on my status bar it clearly tells me "DHCP: NO". I am currently going to switch to wicd to manage my networks, as I sense that I have more control over my network configuration and gives me an easy CLI interface

#4 2013-06-17 23:00:40

vladimir_1922

Checking the arch wiki on WICD gave me two possible causes for the Internet dropping. Doing a dmesg | grep ieee80211 gave me both.

wlp3s0: deauthenticating from MAC by local choice (reason=3)

This is some sort of power saving cock-up. I did as said on the wiki to deactivate the power saving

# iwconfig wlp3s0 power off

And then I made a script so it will deactivate this feature at boot.

# vim  /etc/pm/power.d/wireless

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/iwconfig wlp3s0 power off

#chmod +x /etc/pm/power.d/wireless

(adapt the script depending on your devece name, of course).

That got rid of that error, decreasing -sometimes- the Wifi dying on me. I still had this other one show on dmesg:

ieee80211 phy0: wlp3s0: No probe response from AP xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx after 500ms, disconnecting

I configured my router to use just 20mhz, and I switched from b/g/n to just b/g, as my 7 year old laptop won't probably use n. It didn't really solved a thing. But I checked this post on the Gentoo forum http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-94 … art-0.html, and that actually fixed it: (don't put it exactly as it says on the link, as it has a typo and can screw the solution).

just create the file /etc/modprobe.d/mac80211.conf and write inside:

options mac80211 max_probe_tries=20

Rebooted and... it is gone!

-By the way: I suspect that if i just go to the BIOS and deactivate the power saving options I would solve the first issue too, I just prefer a more "softwary" solution in case I find a locked BIOS on a computer with the same problem.

Board footer