You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-18 14:57:04

hybrid

looking for a video organizer/browser with preview

Hi, over the years I piled up a lot of various video clips and now I'm looking for a good way to sort through them.
Ideally I would like to put everything in a playlist, play it, skip forward and backwards and be able to easily delete (or at least move to a different directory). By easy I mean e.g. while watching the clip pressing delete on the keyboard will pause the playback, ask me for confirmation and when confirmation is given automatically proceed to the next item in the playlist.
This functionality is essential for any good image browser (like for instance gqview) but I haven't found anything like that for videos yet.

#2 2013-06-18 15:25:41

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: looking for a video organizer/browser with preview

This is likely to be TGN'd, I think, as there is already a poll thread on the most used video/music players (many of which have libraries/organizers). But I would suggest XBMC if you're looking for a media center. It has a great deal of cool features with pretty good organizing principles, and can be simply customized. It can also be run as a Desktop Environment if, for instance, you plan on only doing media things for a while.

All the best,

-HG

#3 2013-06-18 16:44:08

drcouzelis
Website

hybrid wrote:

This functionality is essential for any good image browser (like for instance gqview) but I haven't found anything like that for videos yet.

That's interesting... I never thought about "gqview for videos" before. I, too, wonder if something like that exists, something with a list of thumbnails that, when selected, start playing in another view.

My guess is that most people don't have enough unlabeled videos for this type of application to be popular. Plus, when I watch a video it's usually just one video. When I look at images I usually want to look at a set.

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for. The closest thing would be a good file manager with video thumbnails.

#4 2013-06-18 17:06:07

skanky

I think people who keep a lot of digital camera clips would find it useful. I'd be half interested myself, but obviously not to the point yet of looking myself.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#5 2013-06-18 18:59:46

hybrid

That's what I thought too: in times of digital cameras, modern cell phones and so on a lot of ppl probably have quite a few clips. But apparantly there doesn't seem to be an extensive need for something that I'm looking for, at least I can't find anything like it.
I wouldn't even need any thumbnails, just "mplayer video/dir/*" with the ability to delete the current video with a push of the del key would be just perfect to sort things.

#6 2013-06-18 19:08:43

drcouzelis
Website

hybrid wrote:

I wouldn't even need any thumbnails, just "mplayer video/dir/*" with the ability to delete the current video with a push of the del key would be just perfect to sort things.

Woah. Talk about a relevant thread: Here you go!

#7 2013-06-18 22:01:01

skottish
Forum Fellow

Something like this combined with Mplayer's playist option?

http://jurjenbokma.com/ApprenticesNotes … layer.html

#8 2013-06-19 20:20:29

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

As a shameless plug, I made a tool called mebitag for browsing and playing collections of clips that are grouped into categories. However it can't delete anything. It just makes the interface by reading in what the files / tags / titles / etc are from an XML description.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#9 2013-06-19 20:55:49

kokoko3k

The ability to delete in a faster way seems a good idea to me.

As a shameless plug

I could (i will) add soon the delete feature to xt7-player-git, as it already provides thumbnails view and playlist managment.

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#10 2013-06-19 22:45:33

ANOKNUSA

Can't say I know of anything with this precise functionality, but then it's my opinion that it shouldn't be necessary in the first place. Call me a sadist, but maybe having to sort through ninety bajillion random video clips one-by-one would be a good lesson in keeping things organized in the first place. tongue  And wouldn't you have to exit out of playback to immediately rename and move the file anyway?  I don't think there's any way of going about such a project that won't be tedious.

#11 2013-06-19 23:09:51

hybrid

Thank you drcouzelis, awesome find. And thank you Skottish, though it only marks videos I'm using it for now. It's one more step to do (mark then move/delete, compared to just moving/deleting), but processing the list I create with that script is easy. :> I may goof around creating a script that moves the files to a given directory on the push of a button in the future though.
Thanks both of you again, you were really helping me.
Glad I could inspire you, kokoko3k. Actually I believe that more ppl will find that feature useful.

Last edited by hybrid (2013-06-19 23:17:05)

#12 2013-06-20 09:50:19

kokoko3k

Ok, did it, you can try it via aur.

hybrid wrote:

Glad I could inspire you, kokoko3k. Actually I believe that more ppl will find that feature useful.

I think that too.

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

Board footer