You are not logged in.

#3226 2013-06-15 08:48:50

DarkeoX

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello, I'm a newbie on Arch and am running Ubuntu 13.04 and Windows 8. I decided to try Arch to see if I could switch to definitely, although I'm having a lot of troubles getting everything right. See you !

#3227 2013-06-15 21:27:41

studentik

Hello and my warmest greeting to all Archers!

I play games and make money with Microsoft for 15 years. Many times I tried to install linux because of curiosity, because community of geeks attracts me, because of (yet another) shiny new distros. But each time I failed to keep up, mostly because it took so much effort to configure it, that by the time I finally got used to it, I already forgot how I got there. Since I could not make two identical configurations from scratch, I could not guarantee that my new linux computer would be as good as old. Time went by, I learned git, python and sql and somehow I started to enjoy typing shell commands more than clicking buttons, editing config file became better than finding a program that does the same. Than is why few weeks ago I decided to try Archlinux inside VirtualBox on my Windows laptop. Wiki is amazing and Arch Way is exactly My way, so playing with Arch distro became very pleasant. I could bring all the sugar from my Windows experience to Archlinux. I easily found and configured reasonable alternatives for every Windows program that I used. Soon I switched to Archlinux and started to do all work there. Then I realized that running linux inside VBox does not let me play Steam games, so I started looking for a way to get out of the box. Getting out was not easy: tons of reading and tests before I could find a safe way to transfer my root partition to external hard drive and make it bootable and usable on laptop. But when I finally managed that, I decided to test if my external hard drive boots on any other computer. That moment the world of linux showed it's glory to me! My Archlinux works literally everywhere. I plug it to my laptop, boot from it and it works, then I plug it to other computer and it works again! This is a miracle! No more installations, activations and setup of everything for every new computer. Arch just sits in my usb drive and waits to be plugged into any computer, where it will work like a charm with all my settings.  No need to bind myself to specific computer - that is what I call freedom! I am so amazed by that, so I decided to share my love for Archlinux with you guys. Thank you very much for your efforts in making perfect distro!

Cheers!

P.S. Also I have some time while Wargame installs to my Archlinux drive smile

#3228 2013-06-17 15:53:56

desiderius

Hello everyone!

Although I have had arch on my box for some while, I haven't had time to say hi or use the forum that much...

Either way; Hello!!

#3229 2013-06-17 16:03:54

gerito

Hello everyone.

I have had arch since some time but I never joined to the forums before. So Hi!

#3230 2013-06-17 18:33:27

schorem

Helo Everybody.

Greetings from Amsterdam. I've just installed Arch, coming from Debian/Ubuntu. And I must say, love it so far!

#3231 2013-06-17 23:52:14

Divine888

Hello I am from Podgorica(Montenegro,Balkan).
Have 15 years.And love science.
And I would love to install Arch Linux but have some difficulties with installing it.

When I install I will research all Arch and I hope that Arch will be my OS all my life.

#3232 2013-06-18 17:33:00

hrvoje

Hi everyone!

In short. Ex Fedora user, recently needed to freshly install new OS, tried Arch and I'm sticking with it. After a bit lengthy, but not overcomplicated install, Arch is the best distro I have used so far. It works like a charm.

Greetings from Zagreb.

#3233 2013-06-18 20:47:40

nshemonsky

Hey everyone. Not new to linux but it's been a while since I ran any distro as a daily driver. Recently I got a new laptop, immediately wiped Windows 8 and installed Arch. So far so good, had a couple headaches with UEFI during install but nothing digging through some wiki's and the forums couldn't overcome. Hopefully I can get some screenshots of my shoddy Openbox set up posted in the next few days.

#3234 2013-06-19 11:59:02

Centinel

Greetings! After several years of using Linux as a hobbyist, I've decided to make it into a career by becoming a sysadmin. I do have a technology background, but I tried to find work as a writer for several years after graduating from college because I saw that there was a genuine need for good communication in IT. Well, it turns out that most people don't have the proper frame of reference to recognize that. It's like asking the guy at the grocery store what he thinks of a fine bottle of vintage wine: "Oh, that's cool. Say, did you see [generic brand] over there? That's good too."

I need to understand the fundamentals of Linux, so I decided to re-install Arch on my main machine. (I tried it a few years ago and promptly uninstalled it because I thought it was too much work.) And you know what? I'm already finding it a lot easier to use than distributions that force you to wade through endless mazes of menus under the guise of being "easy." I think you and I, community-at-large, will get along quite well smile

#3235 2013-06-20 22:14:43

redstar

Hello, everyone. My name is Adam. I'm a fairly new Linux user and was pushed towards Arch by a friend of mine. I was introduced to Linux via Ubuntu and used it for about a month and then went to Archbang upon the suggestion of the aforementioned friend. After using that for a few more months, I wanted to use the "real thing" so I made the switch and I absolutely love it. I used Openbox for a bit but am now using i3 which I really enjoy. I hope to learn a few things from this forum and, perhaps in the future, contribute in some way. See you fellas around!

P.S. i3 screenie

#3236 2013-06-21 05:46:25

JonnySams

Hi Everybody!

I Learnt about Linux by using ArchLinux , and you know what??   .... Its Awesome!!!!

#3237 2013-06-21 19:26:21

yhj

hey everyone!

I've been using linux about 3 yrs now. Started with ubuntu, tried a few other and decided to stick with ubuntu. But then I wanted to know more, so I tried salix, archbang and manjaro. They were great so I decided to take the plunge and try installing archlinux. The documentation was great and now i have a smooth running arch system. It is fast and just as i want it. Archlinux is a great distro. Hope to learn a lot about linux by using archlinux.

#3238 2013-06-22 16:22:42

night0wl

Hey what's up? I'm returning to Arch on my main box after a hiatus of distro hopping. Arch has always been one of the better distros on the list that I have tried over the years. And now I think it's time to show it. That is all.

#3239 2013-06-22 19:46:01

franklinchou

Hello, I'm Franklin.

At the time of this posting, I am a 21 year old student with a Linux fetish. (I also REALLY want to try plan9 but in terms of support and community I think Linux is slightly better.)

I'm not a total stranger to Linux. I started with Ubuntu when I was 17. Eventually I started to hate it. Then I used Linux Mint from about 2010 to 2012 as my main operating system. I'm happy to say that Mint was the end of the hand holding era of my Linux experience. I'm ready to brave arch and I'm super excited!

Franklin

#3240 2013-06-23 11:01:48

C@illou

Hi there, just registered on this forum to thank somebody for a patch. I've been using Archlinux for 2 years now and I'm pretty happy with it, the community is amazing  and I always find answers to my questions without asking for it (that's why I never registered before!)

Anyway, have a good day and keep this arch spirit!

#3241 2013-06-23 15:35:14

josealb77

hi

#3242 2013-06-26 18:05:04

danwelsh

Hello people, Dan here from Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada. I'm totally new to Arch Linux but loving it so far......I'll probably be asking lots of questions and hopefully you guys will help me out smile

#3243 2013-06-27 00:05:50

LowEndGeek
Website

Hmm, it seems I have completely neglected to introduce myself. I am Ken aka the LowEndGeek the tech enthusiast who is just a little out of date.  I'm 33 (34 one month from tomorrow) been using linux for around 8 years, 6 as a dual boot and the last 3 as my sole os.  I love learning new things and especially customization.  Don't be suprised if im mostly active in the screenshots section, currently working on an arch linux inspired awesomeWM theme modified from another theme.

I come from california (though not by choice) but I live in my own state of mind.

Last edited by LowEndGeek (2013-06-27 00:07:46)

#3244 2013-06-27 19:42:57

ShadowCat8

Greetings all,

New to Arch but definitely not new to linux.  Started by working with Red Hat back in the mid-90's, and have done Linux From Scratch, Debian, Ubuntu, Mandrake, Fedora, Gentoo, Linux Mint and Sabayon.  Finally managed to get here (like I promised...  wink hehe) after talking with a couple of the Arch devs at SCaLE back in February.  Great guys! 

The particular reason I'm playing with Arch now is to breathe new life into an old IBM Thinkpad T71 laptop (Yes, one of the last of the original IBM "tank"-style laptops before Lenovo).  I'm normally a Gentoo user, but Gentoo seems to be a bit too much work (for the system) for just getting the laptop running optimally.

So, I look forward to learning Arch, sharing thoughts, ideas and knowledge and generally lurking as a ShadowCat is wont to do.  wink

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas-covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be."

* Douglas Adams, in a speech at Digital Biota 2, Cambridge, UK, 1998

#3245 2013-06-29 12:55:06

pirateserb

Hello! I am from Serbia. Yesterday I have completly switched to Arch Linux. I`ve been using Manjaro for couple of months and a week ago I started playing with Arch in Virtualbox. Arch Wiki helped me very much. I finnaly reached final destination in searching for the best Linux distribution.
Cheers

#3246 2013-06-29 17:51:56

Phry

Hi, I'm 32 and from Germany, have been using Arch with LXDE for some months now as sole OS on a notebook with a quite small SSD.
All in all I've been using Linux for about 8 years, most of the time as dual-boot. Arch is a really great distro and very much more flexible than Debian, which I came from after some Gentoo and Fedora- experiments lately.

#3247 2013-06-29 21:54:41

clfarron4
Website

Hi, so I'm Claire and I've been using ArchLinux since I started University back in 2009, running various installations of *buntu before then. I do most of my work in Arch, which doesn't really bother me, and I haven't had any real problems.

I've been hanging around on the Google+ community for the last few months and I thought it was about time that I said Hi! to the Forums! (Hey, Ken/LowEndGeek, I'm damn sure I've seen you about on Google+).

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#3248 2013-06-30 19:48:37

Jing

Hello >:}

I'm a 16 year old starting my A levels next year and I'm also a 1 month old noob to arch ^^

#3249 2013-07-01 14:29:22

chaoswotaku

Been using Arch for quite a while now and I just wanted to say hi! Being new to the GNU/Linux world, Arch has helped me learn so much in such a short time.

#3250 2013-07-02 03:15:40

ipeters61
Website

Not sure if I posted here when I first started experimenting with Arch about a year and a half ago, but I'm back to trying it out on some of my systems!  I picked up this $10 HP Omnibook XE3 off eBay, and after trying all sorts of distros on it, various problems occurred (Ubuntu and Fedora screwed up the display horribly, CentOS 6 didn't even work, CentOS 5 did work...but it's old).  To my surprise, I stuck Arch on a flash drive, and to my surprise, after installing XFCE, it seems to be working gloriously, no problems at all!

My Arch Systems:
Dell Studio 1555, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 Memory, 500 GB Hard Drive, Intel 4 Series Graphics
HP Pavilion 742c, Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz, 1.25 GB DDR Memory, 40 GB Hard Drive, Intel 845 Graphics
HP Omnibook XE3, Intel Pentium III-M 1.06 GHz, 640 MB PC133 Memory, 20 GB Hard Drive, Intel 830 Graphics

Board footer