You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-25 02:56:24

StR@ng3r

slim vs startx - fonts look totally different under xfce?

Depending on wether I login using slim or just type startx, my fonts under xfce look completely different. I am guessing on option sources/calls some config files, that the other one doesn't. Any ideas, where to look or why this happens?

#2 2013-06-25 03:03:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: slim vs startx - fonts look totally different under xfce?

Which one looks better?  What does it look like if you use `xinit` instead of `startx`?  Do you have an ~/.xinitrc, if not, how do fonts look if you create a minimal one?

There are *many* different configuration files that could be relevant depending on these questions.  Slim has it's config file, and all the files it sources.  But when you use startx/xinit, you are then getting a whole batch of other files, starting with shell profiles, both systemwide /etc/bash_profile /etc/profile.d/*, and user-specific ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bashrc.  Then you are also getting ~/.xinitrc, if you have one, or the systemwide xinitrc.  The systemwide xinitrc sources several other files, and startx itself includes several others on top of that.

So if you are sitting at your computer and all you can do is guess, we certainly can't do any better.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-06-25 03:08:32

StR@ng3r

Ok. I was using gdm previously and starting xfce through gdm looked the same as it does now through slim.

When I just type startx. The fonts are way smaller. But I actually like it. They are still crisp and all and I would like to figure out what is causing this, so I might be able to achieve the same when starting sfce with slim.

I do have a .xinitrc but it is pretty bare bones:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
    [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi

# exec gnome-session
# exec startkde
# exec startxfce4
# ...or the Window Manager of your choice
exec startxfce4 

I am using the infinality bundle btw.

Last edited by StR@ng3r (2013-06-25 03:08:52)

#4 2013-06-25 03:11:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

And if you use xinit instead of startx??

What is in your /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2013-06-25 03:14:23

StR@ng3r

that folder contains:
30-dbus
40-libcanberra-gtk-module
xdg-user-dirs

Do I actually need that dbus thing without gnome3?
xinit looks the same as startx

It seems like xfce is using a 96DPI setting when run through slim and 72dpi with startx. However, the appearances dialogue shows a custom DPI of 96 either way. Starting it through slim and then entering a 72 in that dialogue makes it look the way it does when started with startx.

Last edited by StR@ng3r (2013-06-25 03:54:24)

Board footer