You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-22 00:07:55

ssalenik

[SOLVED] firewire camera issue - buffer being read twice?

Hi,
I have a firewire camera (Imagingsource DFK 41BF02.h) and I am using Coriander to get images (video) from the camera.  The issue is that on my current Arch Linux build, which is up to date as of right now, the video buffer seems to get played twice.  That is, whatever happens in front of the camera is shown twice.  The period of repetition depends on the size of the 'DMA ring buffer' which I can set in Coriander.

From my understanding, Coriander is basically a front end for the libdc1394 library.  The issue doesn't seem to be with Coriander, as an application which was developped in house has the same issue when built and run on my machine. If I boot into Ubuntu 12.04 on another partition, the camera works as it should in both Coriander and our application.  That version of ubuntu seems to be using a slightly older version of the libdc1394 and libraw1394.  However, I have tried downgrading these packages in Arch and the issue persisted.  Building both libraries from the latest source also did not solve the issue.

I'm not really sure what else to try, and I haven't been able to find anything resembling a similar issue that someone else has had.

Thank you.

UPDATE:
Ok, another thing I noticed is that this problem doesn't occur if I put the camera into B&W mode, that is, if I switch the pixel mode from YUV422 to MONO8 (mono 8bpp), then the issue goes away.

Last edited by ssalenik (2013-06-26 18:26:35)

#2 2013-06-25 17:50:24

ssalenik

Re: [SOLVED] firewire camera issue - buffer being read twice?

Not 100% certain this is Arch Linux's fault, but I've reported this as a bug:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/35931

#3 2013-06-26 18:26:07

ssalenik

Re: [SOLVED] firewire camera issue - buffer being read twice?

So I just tried switching to the 'linux-lts' package kernel (3.0.83-1)and the issue goes away... I'll be reporting the bug upstream.  I guess I'll mark this as 'solved' then.

Board footer