You are not logged in.

#1 2002-11-01 20:37:47

sarah31
Website

So close but so far with getting my printer working

Hi all.

First of lets get this out of the way right off...CUPS will not work for me so don't go there  smile

Anyway, I have got my printer working to some degree by making a lprNG package, recompiling ghostscript to take out CUPS support, installing gimp-print, and installing the free version of Turboprint. However, this has only allowed me to print the *.ps files within the turboprint folder and images within gimp. Trying to print anything else outside the turboprint folder and The Gimp fails and the freezes the lpd daemon which then has to be restarted in order to print again.

I have the feeling that it has something to do with the ghostscript package but i have not figured it out yet.

I have a HP DeskJet 812C with a USB connection (yes the USB stuff is set right in the kernel).

I rarely will ask questions once I am comfortable with a distribution but this one has me flummoxed :?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#2 2002-12-31 08:06:21

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: So close but so far with getting my printer working

sarah31 wrote:

First of lets get this out of the way right off...CUPS will not work for me so don't go there  smile
Anyway, I have got my printer working to some degree by making a lprNG package...

I am glad I am not only one struggling to get my printer to work. I have a simple HP DesJet Portable, which is usually easy to install with Cups on other distros.

What I read about Cups on Arch Linux (this forum), would it be preferable to use lprng? If I remember correctly there is a tool to install printers by Gnome. Or any suggestion how to setup a printer?

Markku

#3 2002-12-31 12:56:39

scottro
Website

Hey, just for the heck of it--I'm not in Arch right now--is ghostscript a dependency?

If not, then try installing ghostscript and see if you have better luck. 

Scott

#4 2002-12-31 15:12:37

scottro
Website

Turns out ghostscript is not a dependency.  At home, with an HP inkjet, everything was fine--at work, with an 1100 LJ through a JetDirect, it wnotasn't.

So, I then finally looked at the CUPS error logs and it said, "Do you have ghostscript installed?"  (Actually, it didn't say that, I had to read it.)

So, I installed ghostscript (which has cups as a depedency)  smile and it worked. 

As a friend of mine says, "It's Cups, it's not supposed to work. "

Scott

#5 2002-12-31 17:17:54

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

I also got cups to work once ghostscript was installed. My hostname is "localhost", so this was not the cause of the problem. Not also error: "client-error-not-possible". The error is still there.

The conclusion is that cups work fine directly from the package as long as ghostscripts is installed.

Markku

#6 2015-08-15 15:12:21

stephen221

HP printers are known for working very well on linux it is strange that you encounter such a problem.

#7 2015-08-15 15:21:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I was wrong in the other thread you necrobumped - I thought that being over 10 years old it might be a record setting necrobump.  But this one is almost 13 years old!

Closed.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer