You are not logged in.

#26 2013-06-29 15:25:39

Sanne

Re: mkinitcpio = Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.

You could check what's in the faulty image and compare to what's inside the working one. You can generate a faulty image to a temporary location so it won't overwrite your working one, with

$ mkinitcpio -g /path/to/faulty-image.img

You can check what's inside images with

$ lsinitcpio -a /path/to/image.img

If our currency were not money but appreciation and acknowledgement for what we do for others, for the community, for the benefit of all, we would have paradise on earth.

#27 2013-06-29 20:40:10

cfr

No doubt a mod will correct me if I am wrong but I would recommend sticking to this thread but changing the subject and putting a note in your initial post linking to the first post addressing the current issue. That way, the background info is there if people want it (which may avoid needing to answer questions already addressed) but they can quickly jump to the relevant part of the thread and see from the thread title what the issue is.

If you had not originated the thread, you couldn't do this of course. But you did and it is really the same issue - it isn't as if we've solved one problem and now you're saying, "Oh, and another thing, I can't get my coffee make to work with hdmi output". Just some possibilities have been (we think) eliminated so the issue is better focused.

EDIT: re. the issue. I second the suggestion above for comparing the initramfs produced with the working one.

Last edited by cfr (2013-06-29 20:41:40)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#28 2013-06-30 00:00:37

MickeyRat

Sanne wrote:

You could check what's in the faulty image and compare to what's inside the working one. You can generate a faulty image to a temporary location so it won't overwrite your working one, with

$ mkinitcpio -g /path/to/faulty-image.img

You can check what's inside images with

$ lsinitcpio -a /path/to/image.img

Actually I did that for both lsinitcpio (lists the files in the image) and lsinitcpio -a (human-friendly listing of the "important parts" in the image) and I used gvim diff to compare them.  There are about 45 files in the faulty image that aren't in the one that works.  That difference must not be considered "important" because the only difference found in the listing from lsinitcpio -a is in the size of the image.  I even did a lsinitcpio -x which extracts the files in the image and verified that all the files listed in the file list were there.

Looking at the files that were extracted I noticed a lot of files in the bin directory were links to busybox (Didn't think Arch used that.).  So I tried reinstalling mkinitcpio-busybox...nope! 

Lastly, the Kernel version that started all this was 3.9.7-1.  3.9.8-1 came out today.  So, I figured it was worth a shot...nope!  I got to practice a restore from backup again.

I may try a reinstall but, the problem with that is the current download version is the one I installed to begin with.  That doesn't fill me with confidence.  Anyone know when a new install disk is coming out?

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
- Oscar Wilde

#29 2013-06-30 00:08:51

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

MickeyRat wrote:

I may try a reinstall but, the problem with that is the current download version is the one I installed to begin with.  That doesn't fill me with confidence.  Anyone know when a new install disk is coming out?

Short answer: "when it's ready"
Longer answer: the images have been coming out about once a month, so a new one should be out soon if this pattern holds. Having said that, though, I can tell you that I did two successful installs with the 06/01 image (and I suspect others have also done so, because I haven't seen a lot of people complaining about a broken install image) so I don't think your problem is caused by the 06/01 image.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#30 2013-06-30 00:10:58

Scimmia
Fellow

New install disks usually come out in the first day or two of the month, BUT they really don't have much to do with what is actually installed. Installing with the image from April (for example) will give you the same system as installing with the one coming out in the next few days.

Last edited by Scimmia (2013-06-30 00:12:45)

#31 2013-06-30 00:15:59

WonderWoofy

Though it has already been pointed out that the version of the install image doesn't dtermine the outcome of the final installation, I wanted to point out that the July Archiso should be right on time.  There have been a flurry of commits and a new version (11) was just pushed to the repos a couple hours ago.  Also, all the chatter on the [arch-releng] list seems to indicate that there are no issues to overcome.

#32 2013-06-30 00:20:50

MickeyRat

2ManyDogs wrote:

Having said that, though, I can tell you that I did two successful installs with the 06/01 image (and I suspect others have also done so, because I haven't seen a lot of people complaining about a broken install image) so I don't think your problem is caused by the 06/01 image.

Understood but, there aren't a lot of ppl having trouble with mkinitcpio either.  So, it would be nice to install something more recent.  I know that most likely this was caused by something I did.  Given what I've learned I probably won't do it again but, still...

I'll probably have time to try the install tonight or tomorrow.  I'd rather not do it on a weeknight.

Last edited by MickeyRat (2013-06-30 00:22:37)

- Oscar Wilde

#33 2013-06-30 00:22:12

Scimmia
Fellow

MickeyRat wrote:

So, it would be nice to install something more recent.

Again, this is a netinstall. There is no such thing as more recent, it always downloads and installs the latest packages no matter what disk image you use.

#34 2013-06-30 00:25:43

MickeyRat

Scimmia wrote:
MickeyRat wrote:

So, it would be nice to install something more recent.

Again, this is a netinstall. There is no such thing as more recent, it always downloads and installs the latest packages no matter what disk image you use.

I've slept a few times since I did the install but, I thought that was optional.  I believe I installed off the disk originally but, even if I'm right (probably not), thanks for pointing out the possibility of the net install.  I hadn't thought about that.

Now I'm itching to try it!  Next time I'll probably be on here from Windows while the install is running!

Last edited by MickeyRat (2013-06-30 00:27:04)

- Oscar Wilde

#35 2013-06-30 00:26:46

Scimmia
Fellow

Installing off of the disk hasn't been possible for about a year now

#36 2013-06-30 00:30:47

cfr

What does

cat /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset

give?

When you say you tried reinstalling mkinitcpio-busybox, what do you mean? Do you just mean you reinstalled it or do you mean it was not installed for some reason? (mkinitcpio depends on mkinitcpio-busybox.)

EDIT: Sorry. For some reason the discussion about reinstalling wasn't showing up when I posted this and this no longer makes any sense.

Last edited by cfr (2013-06-30 00:33:39)

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#37 2013-06-30 11:37:30

Sanne

This might be too late in case you already have reinstalled, but maybe it still helps you or anybody who comes across this thread:

MickeyRat wrote:

Understood but, there aren't a lot of ppl having trouble with mkinitcpio either.

I just remembered a thread where somebody also had weird problems with mkinitcpio generating a non working image (not adding any modules in that case). It turned out to be a broken grep, which is one of the tools mkinitcpio uses. Reinstalling grep solved that particular issue.

So, it might not be the mkinitcpio script itself but one of its tools that it depends on that might be broken. Just something to investigate maybe.

Last edited by Sanne (2013-06-30 11:38:53)

If our currency were not money but appreciation and acknowledgement for what we do for others, for the community, for the benefit of all, we would have paradise on earth.

#38 2013-06-30 15:30:16

MickeyRat

Interesting comments and one of these days, I may try restoring from that backup again and try it but,  I'm most of the way through a reinstall at the moment.  In fact depending on how you look at it, you might say I have reinstalled.  I just haven't quite gotten everything working.  I'll be starting at least one thread on those problems.  I wouldn't have thought about grep having a problem though.

cfr I just reinstalled mkinitcpio-busybox.  It was already there.  Just grasping at straws.

Whether I restore and continue to wrestle with it depends on you guys.  If you're like me and want to get to the bottom of things, I'm willing to chase it a bit after I get the reinstall working and backed up but, I hate to be a pest and waste ppl's time when there's no real need.

I have verified that in the reinstalled version, mkinitcpio will create a usable initramfs image. smile

I do want everyone to know I appreciate your help.

Last edited by MickeyRat (2013-06-30 15:31:53)

- Oscar Wilde

#39 2013-06-30 21:51:09

Sanne

Whatever you decide is fine by me, you're not wasting my time at all. I like to help solve problems, although I consider myself an Arch Linux beginner still and might not have enough knowledge to be of great help yet.

In any case, good luck with your new install. smile

#40 2013-06-30 22:08:18

cfr

Generally, I find it rather frustrating when people say "Never mind, reinstalling fixed it" because you never get to find out what the problem was i.e. you don't ever get the solution to the puzzle because they tore up the puzzle! That said, I think that sometimes figuring out the issue may not be worth it or terribly interesting. This may be such a case. If, for example, some tool mkinitcpio uses is causing issues because it is corrupt, we might never know what caused the corruption and it might take a lot or work to identify which tool for a fairly uninteresting result (i.e. some unknown something messed this bit up). So it is really up to you - I'm fine either way but I don't have any more suggestions right now, either.

#41 2013-07-01 02:53:47

MickeyRat

I'm willing to pursue it but,  the reality is that I'm up and running now.  I can go back to where I was but, before I do,  I need to know what I'm going to do when I get there.  Any suggestions there? I'd pretty much hit the end of things when I reinstalled.  I have a backup of what I have now.  It's not that hard for me to go back but, what am I going to do then?

- Oscar Wilde

#42 2013-07-01 10:58:51

Sanne

I'm with cfr on this one. Even if you find out it was some broken tool mkinitcpio uses, there's not much to learn further from this I think. Sometimes weird things happen. It is rare, fortunately.

If I were you, I would just move on, enjoy my working install, and learn from the next breakage. wink

(Not meaning that Arch breaks constantly. I'm using it since about 16 months and so far never had major problems.)

#43 2013-07-01 11:24:22

MickeyRat

Sanne wrote:

I'm with cfr on this one. Even if you find out it was some broken tool mkinitcpio uses, there's not much to learn further from this I think. Sometimes weird things happen. It is rare, fortunately.

If I were you, I would just move on, enjoy my working install, and learn from the next breakage. wink

(Not meaning that Arch breaks constantly. I'm using it since about 16 months and so far never had major problems.)

Actually, I'm not doing anything with the USB harddrive I used as my first attempt at using Arch at the moment.  If anyone has an idea they'd like to pursue on this one, I can put it on there and boot off it.  However, at this point, it's for curiousity's sake only.  Even if I do manage to fix it, I won't be going back to it.

I'll advise everyone to maintain a list of your installed programs.  The pacman tips wiki tells you how. 

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Tips

It's a HUGE help during a reinstall.

- Oscar Wilde

#44 2013-07-01 21:03:18

cfr

MickeyRat wrote:

I'll advise everyone to maintain a list of your installed programs.  The pacman tips wiki tells you how. 

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman_Tips

It's a HUGE help during a reinstall.

crontab with dropbox:

31      23      *       *       *       test $(cat /sys/class/power_supply/ACAD/online) -eq 1  && (nice /usr/bin/pacman -Qqe | nice grep -vx "$(/usr/bin/pacman -Qqm)" > /home/<username>/Dropbox/pacman-list-main)
32      23      *       *       *       test $(cat /sys/class/power_supply/ACAD/online) -eq 1  && (nice /usr/bin/pacman -Qqem > /home/<username>/Dropbox/pacman-list-other)
33      23      *       *       *       test $(cat /sys/class/power_supply/ACAD/online) -eq 1  && (nice /usr/bin/tar -cjf /home/<username>/Dropbox/pacman-database-local.tar.bz2 /var/lib/pacman/local)

#45 2013-07-21 07:17:05

Archlinuxomane

I had the same problem and this thread is one of the first that comes up on google, so I think I should post my "solution" if anyone else gets here the way I did.

I tried everything stated in this thread and a few others, reinstalled the kernel, mkinitcpio, mkinitcpio-busybox, grep, gzip, systemd, grub and a few other things, nothing changed. As I grew more desperate, not wanting to reinstall my system I tried one last thing. I reinstalled all packages (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … l_packages) after deleting the pacman cache (pacman -Scc). That solved the problem, though I don't know which of the packages actually made the difference.

It's a bit extreme, but better than  reinstalling. Maybe this helps someone else with the same problem.

Board footer