You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-31 02:17:17

Sotanaht

Grub2 using wrong UUIDs (BIOS)

I've just installed the latest stable x86_64 ISO, following all the instructions, and when I select Arch on the grub menu, I get the following error:

No such Device: ad4103fa-d940-47ca-8506-301d8071d467.
Loading Linux core repo kernel ...
error: no such partition.
Loading initial ramdisk ...
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue..._

The UUID it displays is incorrect.  I found this thread, which had the exact same UUID in the error message, so I'm assuming it's a placeholder or something.  The solution in that thread was to copy /efi/EFI/grub.cfg to /boot/grub.cfg, except I'm using a BIOS computer, so that's no good for me.  I've found a few similar threads, but they were all UEFI computers, and nothing they did helped.

#2 2012-08-31 05:07:06

DSpider

Re: Grub2 using wrong UUIDs (BIOS)

The UUID is for the root partition. It shouldn't complain that you need to load the kernel first unless you're missing /boot/vmlinuz-linux.

Chroot, reinstall the linux package and re-generate the .cfg:

# mount /dev/sdxY /mnt        #Your root partition.
# mount /dev/sdxZ /mnt/boot   #Your boot partiton (if you have one).
# arch-chroot /mnt
# pacman -S linux
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-09-01 01:50:36

reasterling

Sotanaht wrote:

I've just installed the latest stable x86_64 ISO, following all the instructions, and when I select Arch on the grub menu, I get the following error:

No such Device: ad4103fa-d940-47ca-8506-301d8071d467.
Loading Linux core repo kernel ...
error: no such partition.
Loading initial ramdisk ...
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue..._

The UUID it displays is incorrect.  I found this thread, which had the exact same UUID in the error message, so I'm assuming it's a placeholder or something.  The solution in that thread was to copy /efi/EFI/grub.cfg to /boot/grub.cfg, except I'm using a BIOS computer, so that's no good for me.  I've found a few similar threads, but they were all UEFI computers, and nothing they did helped.

Sotanaht,
I had the exact same problem as you, but I was able to fix it by replacing the bad grub.cfg file with the grub.conf file found in the same directory.  If you try this do not forget to back up your original file (just in-case smile)

#4 2013-03-22 20:22:04

Strompf
Website

I had the same error. I followed the Lifehacker tutorial: http://lifehacker.com/5680453/build-a-k … he-process but I missed the line

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg 

Solution:

Started with the Arch Linux cd, followed by

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
 arch-chroot /mnt
 exit
 umount /mnt
 reboot

Last edited by Strompf (2013-03-22 20:24:09)

Jeroen Strompf, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://devliegendebrigade.nl - System Maintenance, Webshops, Online Marketing
http://devliegendebrigade.nl/wiki - Wiki
http://devliegendebrigade.nl/wiki/index … nux_-_Arch - Arch Linux (Dutch)

#5 2013-06-30 21:53:59

firekage

Sorry for refreshing but  i have the same problem with Arch. I'm new here, and with Arch, could you explain me how to fix it? I tried the solution above, several times but with each time i have errors and warnings from the post 1. I installed my Arch from usb thumb drive. Maybe this is something to do with it? Also, my hard drive that Arch is installed on is being connected to a "raid card" named Adaptec, but during installation my disk is being found so i think that drivers is present and works ok, so it is not related to this because:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/35626

he wrote that this error is also on virtualbox, so it is not my fault and Adaptec related issue.

I haven't tried this yet:

Sotanaht,
I had the exact same problem as you, but I was able to fix it by replacing the bad grub.cfg file with the grub.conf file found in the same directory.  If you try this do not forget to back up your original file (just in-case smile)

because i don't know much about it, don't want to destroy data on my hard disks or to destroy my other distros (i use Ubuntu with derrativates such as Mint, Kubntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Slackware 13.37 and 14.00). If you could explain it in details i would be really happy.

Last edited by firekage (2013-06-30 22:00:15)

#6 2013-06-30 21:58:49

karol
Archivist

firekage, please open a new thread (you can include a link to this one so people know you tried fixing it) and share some more details wrt your setup.

#7 2013-06-30 22:07:20

firekage

Ok. Thank you and sorry for refreshing. I wrote new thread:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 2#p1294602

#8 2015-02-11 16:37:59

Gamonics
Website

Strompf wrote:

Solution:

Started with the Arch Linux cd, followed by

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
 arch-chroot /mnt
 exit
 umount /mnt
 reboot

On first reboot after installing on my MacBook Pro9,2 I had the exact same problem as Sotanaht, and I'm certain it was because I forgot to execute the grub-mkconfig step during installation. The solution Strompf posted solved my problem. Thanks, Strompf.

Board footer