You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-30 22:06:46

firekage

[SOLVED]Can't boot Arch after installation-grub use wrong uuid in bios

Hello smile I would like to ask for Your help and say hello. I'm new here.

I have one big problem with Arch. Can't boot it after base installation. The same problem with Arch, that was mentioned in this topic:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1294597

I have the same problem and the same error:

No such Device: ad4103fa-d940-47ca-8506-301d8071d467.
Loading Linux core repo kernel ...
error: no such partition.
Loading initial ramdisk ...
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue..._

I'm new here, and with Arch, could you explain me how to fix it? I tried the solution given in the link above, several times but with each time i have errors and warnings from the post 1 in mentioned topic. I installed my Arch from usb thumb drive. Maybe this is something to do with it? Also, my hard drive that Arch is installed on is being connected to a "raid card" named Adaptec, but during installation my disk is being found so i think that drivers is present and works ok, so it is not related to this, also there is no raid present, i use it only as a mean to connect to motherboard because there is not enough sata port, and because:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/35626

he wrote that this error is also on virtualbox, so it is not my fault and Adaptec related issue.

I haven't tried this yet:

Sotanaht,
    I had the exact same problem as you, but I was able to fix it by replacing the bad grub.cfg file with the grub.conf file found in the same directory.  If you try this do not forget to back up your original file (just in-case smile)

because i don't know much about it, don't want to destroy data on my hard disks or to destroy my other distros (i use Ubuntu with derrativates such as Mint, Kubntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Slackware 13.37 and 14.00).

If you could explain it in details i would be really happy.

I could post something about my setup, please write what. My computer is:
-AMD X4 PII 955 runinng at 3.2GHz
-4GB DDR2 runinng at base clock (800 if i remember correctly)
-about 7 hard drive disk connected to a sata ports, one adaptec drive that i mentioned above and one dvd-rom
-nvidia GTX260
-850W PSU Chieftec

Last edited by firekage (2013-07-02 08:11:29)

#2 2013-06-30 23:38:06

cfr

Re: [SOLVED]Can't boot Arch after installation-grub use wrong uuid in bios

Did you generate grub.cfg after installing it?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#3 2013-07-01 05:56:16

firekage

Yes, of course. I did it several times with

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and the result is always the same - Error posted above.

Here is my grub.cfg file:

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
insmod part_gpt
insmod part_msdos
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  load_env
fi
set default="0"

if [ x"${feature_menuentry_id}" = xy ]; then
  menuentry_id_option="--id"
else
  menuentry_id_option=""
fi

export menuentry_id_option

if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
  set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
  save_env saved_entry
  set prev_saved_entry=
  save_env prev_saved_entry
  set boot_once=true
fi

function savedefault {
  if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
    saved_entry="${chosen}"
    save_env saved_entry
  fi
}

function load_video {
  if [ x$feature_all_video_module = xy ]; then
    insmod all_video
  else
    insmod efi_gop
    insmod efi_uga
    insmod ieee1275_fb
    insmod vbe
    insmod vga
    insmod video_bochs
    insmod video_cirrus
  fi
}

if [ x$feature_default_font_path = xy ] ; then
   font=unicode
else
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd0,msdos5'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos5 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos5 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos5  ad4103fa-d940-47ca-8506-301d8071d467
else
  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root ad4103fa-d940-47ca-8506-301d8071d467
fi
    font="/usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2"
fi

if loadfont $font ; then
  set gfxmode=auto
  load_video
  insmod gfxterm
  set locale_dir=$prefix/locale
  set lang=en_US
  insmod gettext
fi
terminal_input console
terminal_output gfxterm
set timeout=5
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
menuentry 'Arch Linux, with Linux core repo kernel' --class arch --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-core repo kernel-true-ad4103fa-d940-47ca-8506-301d8071d467' {
	load_video
	set gfxpayload=keep
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd0,msdos5'
	  search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos5 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos5 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos5  ad4103fa-d940-47ca-8506-301d8071d467
	else
	fi
	echo	'Loading Linux core repo kernel ...'
	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=ad4103fa-d940-47ca-8506-301d8071d467 ro  quiet
	echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
	initrd	/boot/initramfs-linux.img
}
menuentry 'Arch Linux, with Linux core repo kernel (Fallback initramfs)' --class arch --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-core repo kernel-fallback-ad4103fa-d940-47ca-8506-301d8071d467' {
	load_video
	set gfxpayload=keep
	insmod gzio
	insmod part_msdos
	insmod ext2
	set root='hd0,msdos5'
	else
	fi
	echo	'Loading Linux core repo kernel ...'
	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=ad4103fa-d940-47ca-8506-301d8071d467 ro  quiet
	echo	'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
	initrd	/boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
}

### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
### END /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f  ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
  source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f  $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
  source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

It is wrong, the root partition is different than in this, we can see that this grub leads to wrong root partition, i posted my root partition at the bottom from /etc/fstab. I don't know how to fix it - i'm not familiar with the dos names (hd 0,5 and so on).

Here is my /etc/fstab:

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system> <dir>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# /dev/sdb2
UUID=59603166-5d8a-4aaf-81f7-5a822fd630e5       /               ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 1

# /dev/sdb1
UUID=20028674-d7e8-4bf4-8551-64f133641962       none            swap            defaults        0 0

(END)

Last edited by firekage (2013-07-01 06:26:59)

#4 2013-07-01 08:02:39

firekage

Help sad I really would like to move from other linux to Arch sad

#5 2013-07-01 08:27:41

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2013-07-01 08:37:26

henk

I suggest you start with reading the manual of your Adaptec raid card, and set it up properly.
http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/instal … _03_06.pdf

If you really want to start using Arch, get accustomed to the fact that you have to do a lot of research on your own,
before asking for help.
You WILL get support more easy if it is clear to the people here that you did your research and did try, instead of asking people to hold
your hand, and guide you to a solution. That's clearly not the way it works here.
There are a lot af webpages out there which can explain to you how grub handles the naming of harddisks and partitions
Google is your friend, use it.

#7 2013-07-01 09:32:19

firekage

henk wrote:

I suggest you start with reading the manual of your Adaptec raid card, and set it up properly.
http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/instal … _03_06.pdf

If you really want to start using Arch, get accustomed to the fact that you have to do a lot of research on your own,
before asking for help.
You WILL get support more easy if it is clear to the people here that you did your research and did try, instead of asking people to hold
your hand, and guide you to a solution. That's clearly not the way it works here.
There are a lot af webpages out there which can explain to you how grub handles the naming of harddisks and partitions
Google is your friend, use it.

Sorry my friend but you assumed that i'm totally newbie in linux (or maybe with computers at all) - i wrote that i use other, like Slackware. My adaptec is not at fault. Pleas try to read again. If this was his fault than i could not boot my disk when i installed it, i could not see partition when using blkid, i could not format it, create it and mount it - also, i wrote that i don't use RAID on it. Of course i tried to use different distros with him: Ubuntu and derrativates works, Slackware installed on it works, tried also Mint and it works.

Believe me that this problem is not related to hardware: i provided another topics that they mentioned it. In one case it was also under virtualbox (or vmware) and in one case it was with normal setup. I tried to look for solution but there are only few pages that describes this problem (the same uuid are posted on these topics), nothing works and few them are in russian language, french...not in english or my native. I did everything that was on links that i posted above. I don't know other solution. Also, i read many about installing arch, there are few good faqs liki one here and one that worte on polish sites. I installed earlier version of arch, grom march 2013 on vbox under ubuntu and it works. The one from june doesen't.

Last edited by firekage (2013-07-01 09:36:11)

#8 2013-07-01 10:03:18

hokasch

It is wrong, the root partition is different than in this, we can see that this grub leads to wrong root partition, i posted my root partition at the bottom from /etc/fstab. I don't know how to fix it - i'm not familiar with the dos names (hd 0,5 and so on).

Are you running grub-mkconfig while chrooted into the arch system? If not it will pick up wrong partitions for root. You can also manually search/replace the wrong UUID with the one from your fstab in the  "/etc/grub.d/10_linux" section.

#9 2013-07-01 10:08:00

firekage

hokasch wrote:

Are you running grub-mkconfig while chrooted into the arch system? If not it will pick up wrong partitions for root. You can also manually search/replace the wrong UUID with the one from your fstab in the  "/etc/grub.d/10_linux" section.

Yes, i did it while chrooted arch.

#10 2013-07-01 10:41:03

henk

Sorry if we got off on the wrong foot, no bad intentions on my side.

As in hokasch mentioned, but I would rather replace the UUID's in grub.cfg. But I could be wrong here.

From this side the following line:

devices are still numbered from 0, but partitions start with 1. For example, this means that sda1 is now (hd0,1) and NOT (hd0,0) as before! 

Your root partition is on /dev/sdb2( fstab) which in grub would be 'hd1,msdos2' not 'hd0,msdos5'
That is the reason I thought you had your raid configured wrong....
You can modify this also in grub.cfg.

After the modifications do a new grub-mkconfig

#11 2013-07-01 19:48:11

firekage

Ok, no harm was done - if this is written correctly in english wink

I will try with changing it. But there is one thing - i have to chroot-arch and do it under live cd. Will changing grub.cfg from live will fix it? If i do another grub-mkconfig than i think that fixed grub.cfg will be again overriden with grub-mkconfig.

BTW - i don't know why there is wrong uuid and root partition after generating grub with grum-mkconfig. Strange thing.

Last edited by firekage (2013-07-01 19:51:04)

#12 2013-07-01 20:35:20

henk

About the fixing of grub, just go for it. Modify grub.cfg and if you don't trust the outcome of another grub-mkconfig just reboot after the
modifications. If that does not change a thing, go back in, modify, and do grub-mkconfig.

#13 2013-07-01 21:26:10

cfr

Did you read http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2066130? That seems a very similar issue and involves a case with multiple linuxes installed.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#14 2013-07-01 21:43:52

firekage

I would like to thank to all of you. I fixed it under ubuntu. I mounted / from Arch in ubuntu and entered /etc/ from here. I saw 3 grubs here:

-grub.cfg
-grub.cfg.new
-grub.examples

I deleted grub.cfg - i didn't want to change it or modify because i found that grub.cfg.new is actually my correctly generated grub with all of my systems being detected. I renamed it to grub.cfg with nano under ubuntu, rebooted, and here i'm - o wrote it from Arch!

Thanks!

BTW - how to mark this topic as a solved one?

Last edited by firekage (2013-07-01 21:44:42)

#15 2013-07-01 21:49:30

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

firekage wrote:

BTW - how to mark this topic as a solved one?

Edit the title of your first post.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

Board footer