You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-18 12:16:35

squalene

Nvidia 2D performance

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble with 2D performance with my Nvidia GeForce4 card. When dragging windows in Gnome they stutter around the screen in jerky movements rather than being silky smooth.

glxgears runs at a fair rate, so it seems like the 3D acceleration is working fine.

Grepping glxinfo tells me direct rendering is turned on and I've placed my user into the video group (is this needed?)

I've also tried using my previous xorg.conf from another distro (clutching at straws) to no avail.

I'm using the latest xorg and nvidia drivers available in the standard pacman repo's.

Anyone know if Ive missed something obvious?

Thanks,

Oh, and as this is my first post. I was looking for a distro with a rolling release and having come here by way of gentoo and sid, i'm loving arch so far. It's more up to date than debian unstable and seems less... well ... unstable (ignoring a couple of nvidia compile and udev issues) ...

#2 2005-12-18 14:49:49

khazdar

Re: Nvidia 2D performance

This has been discussed here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … slow+gnome

I had the same problem with Gnome, so I made the switch to XFCE about a year ago. It's really fast, and does everything that I want it to do.

I installed Gnome a few weeks ago just to see the new release and dragging windows are still jerky. I couldn't stand using it for more than 5 minutes.

-Khaz

#3 2005-12-18 23:23:10

squalene

Thanks, that thread was what I was after.

It's been ages since Ive tried XFCE, was going to give it another go when thunar was further along, I never liked the original file manager (or rox that much).

#4 2005-12-19 02:01:58

shadowhand
Website

Thunar is coming along just fine. I package it too.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

Board footer