You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-02 00:21:02

MickeyRat

[SOLVED] Problem with sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device...I think

I may be barking up the wrong tree here but here goes.  I've been having issues with provoxy taking a long time to start.  At first I thought it wasn't starting at all but, it will eventually start.  So, I've been digging and it looks to me like the problems with the network service it's waiting for.  Here's my privoxy.service file:

[Unit]
Description=Privoxy Web Proxy With Advanced Filtering Capabilities
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=forking
PIDFile=/run/privoxy.pid
ExecStart=/usr/bin/privoxy --pidfile /run/privoxy.pid --user privoxy.privoxy /etc/privoxy/config
SuccessExitStatus=15

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

That After=network.target line looks like it might be the problem.  If I do a

journalctl -b

and look for Privoxy, here's what's there before it starts.

Jul 01 19:15:28 groucho NetworkManager[304]: <info> (enp0s25): IP6 addrconf timed out or failed.
Jul 01 19:15:28 groucho NetworkManager[304]: <info> Activation (enp0s25) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) scheduled...
Jul 01 19:15:28 groucho NetworkManager[304]: <info> Activation (enp0s25) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) started...
Jul 01 19:15:28 groucho NetworkManager[304]: <info> Activation (enp0s25) Stage 4 of 5 (IPv6 Configure Timeout) complete.
Jul 01 19:15:31 groucho gnome-keyring-daemon[344]: keyring alias directory: /home/mickeyrat/.local/share/keyrings
Jul 01 19:16:26 groucho systemd[1]: Job sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device/start timed out.
Jul 01 19:16:26 groucho systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device.
Jul 01 19:16:26 groucho systemd[1]: Dependency failed for A basic dhcp ethernet connection.
Jul 01 19:16:26 groucho systemd[1]: Starting Network.
Jul 01 19:16:26 groucho systemd[1]: Reached target Network.
Jul 01 19:16:26 groucho systemd[1]: Starting Privoxy Web Proxy With Advanced Filtering Capabilities...
Jul 01 19:16:27 groucho systemd[1]: Started Privoxy Web Proxy With Advanced Filtering Capabilities.

My guess is that the reason privoxy takes a while to start is because it's waiting for that time out on sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device.  Of course, there's no eth0 but, that may not be the problem. 

Here's what I see in dmesg about it:

[    4.215696] systemd[1]: Starting Remote File Systems.
[    4.215715] systemd[1]: Reached target Remote File Systems.
[    4.215730] systemd[1]: Expecting device sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device...
[    4.215746] systemd[1]: Starting /dev/initctl Compatibility Named Pipe.
[    4.215783] systemd[1]: Listening on /dev/initctl Compatibility Named Pipe.

There is a line later in both the journal and dmesg that renames eth0 to enp0s25.  No idea whether that's in the wrong place or completely unrelated.

This is a wired connection.  Any way to stop that timeout?

Last edited by MickeyRat (2013-07-02 23:54:31)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
- Oscar Wilde

#2 2013-07-02 01:08:15

WonderWoofy

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device...I think

You have something that is using the BindsTo= parameter that is being directed to eth0.  Since that device doesn't exist, it is waiting and waiting until it just gives up.  Do you have something that is enabled as <service>@eth0?  For example, if you have dhcpcd@eth0 enabled, with no eth0 device, this timeout is the result.

So I don't think that it is a problem at all with privoxy, but rather privoxy depends on the network.target, which cannot be reached until the devices are brought up.

#3 2013-07-02 04:02:37

MickeyRat

WonderWoofy wrote:

You have something that is using the BindsTo= parameter that is being directed to eth0.  Since that device doesn't exist, it is waiting and waiting until it just gives up.  Do you have something that is enabled as <service>@eth0?  For example, if you have dhcpcd@eth0 enabled, with no eth0 device, this timeout is the result.

So I don't think that it is a problem at all with privoxy, but rather privoxy depends on the network.target, which cannot be reached until the devices are brought up.

I absolutely agree that privoxy is not the problem.  It's the timeout.  I'm not sure how to find what might be binding to eth0.  It doesn't show up in systemctl list-unit-files.  I'm not sure where else to look.  Don't forget, I'm learning but, I'm still a newb.

- Oscar Wilde

#4 2013-07-02 04:35:11

WonderWoofy

"systemctl list-unit-files" will list all units by what their unit file is named.  But units with an '@' have a special meaning.  So you need to find out if any of those are specifically pointing to eth0 (like dhcpcd@eth0.service).  Read through the man page to find out how to do this.  You're close.

#5 2013-07-02 10:45:00

MickeyRat

WonderWoofy wrote:

"systemctl list-unit-files" will list all units by what their unit file is named.  But units with an '@' have a special meaning.  So you need to find out if any of those are specifically pointing to eth0 (like dhcpcd@eth0.service).  Read through the man page to find out how to do this.  You're close.

I think I might have solved it.  I had already searched for eth0 in everything I did (journalctl -b, dmesg, sytemctl list-unit-files, etc).  I didn't find anything that looked likely.  I decided to run a

grep -ir eth0 /etc/systemd/*

That turned up

/etc/systemd/system/netctl@my\x2dnetwork.service:BindsTo=sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device

netctl@my\x2dnetwork.service did show as enabled in systemctl list-unit-files.  So, I disabled that service with systemctl and rebooted.  That solved the problem.   So far, everything seems to be working.

That service wasn't working to begin with so I can't see how I'll miss it.  I'm not sure how it got in there.  The only thing I can think of is I did enable dhcpcd@enp0s25.service for a while before I set up NetworkManager.  That might have put it in.  Here's what's in the file.

.include /usr/lib/systemd/system/netctl@.service

[Unit]
Description=A basic dhcp ethernet connection
BindsTo=sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device
After=sys-subsystem-net-devices-eth0.device

Before I mark this closed, any reason to think I'll need that service?

I think I must have installed netctl when I was reinstalling.  Anyway, it's off my machine now.  I'm marking this solved.

Last edited by MickeyRat (2013-07-02 23:54:13)

- Oscar Wilde

Board footer