You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-04 09:51:26

gnux83

[SOLVED]Searching for a way to change default kernel installation path

Hi,

( first of all SRY for my english smile )

I've set up a multi boot system onto an USB Stick - something like a personalized Recovery System. Currently I have a 32 and a 64bit version of Arch on it, but may I'll extend it with other distros...

OK, so far everything is running pretty fine, but every time I do a kernel upgrade I'm running into the following issue:

Since I'm using a shared boot partition where my GRUB and all of my Kernels (i686, c86_64) lie on. -  I'm using the shared partition for technical reasons (MSDOS part table, max 4 primary partitions sad ).
I've organized my kernels in different directorys (e.g. i686, x86_64) and it is no problem to tell GRUB about this, but every time I do a Kernel upgrade the kernel is installed to its default location on /boot/vmlinuz-linux.
That has two side effects:
   - I have to move the kernel "by hand" to the right directory
   - I've changed the Kernel-Path in mkinitcpio.conf to /boot/xxx/vmlinuz-linux therefore mkinitcpio is not able to create the initramfs because it does not know about the right path sad

My current solution is, that I will move the kernel to the appropiate directory and execute mkinitcpio afterwards ... but sometimes it happens that I forget about that and my system is not able to start up again...

I've thought bout possible solutions via symlinks, mountbinds, shutdown scripts, etc. but I wasn't able to find a proper solution for that problems.

So far my (long) story. My specific question is, is it possible to change the default installation path of the kernel package? If so that will solve my problem in a elegant way wink.

Best regards,
gnux

PS.: I was thinking about something like a config e.g. in /etc/kernelpath ... whatever

Last edited by gnux83 (2013-07-04 11:17:52)

#2 2013-07-04 10:31:36

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED]Searching for a way to change default kernel installation path

#3 2013-07-04 10:53:32

gnux83

Re: [SOLVED]Searching for a way to change default kernel installation path

Thx, I'll go through that

Board footer