You are not logged in.

#801 2013-06-12 04:17:14

LyCC

Re: The Official Unofficial 'Arch is Best' Thread

drcouzelis wrote:

Woah. Slackware, the super conservative "release when it's ready" distribution?

not quite, i use slack in server env., they are conservative indeed, but for example, compared to centos they are light-years ahead with the packages.  Plus it's a billion times easier to configure and maintain slack (in my opinion of course).

For desktop, Arch rules. I love rolling release, especially getting all the new stuff on a regular basis, plus the KISS philosophy of course. I chose Arch after trying out about 10-15 other distros. Arch indeed is a great distro if you want to start learning linux, if not, then it's not (for newbies).

Last edited by LyCC (2013-06-12 04:19:23)

#802 2013-06-12 10:41:54

vyu223

I feel that it's really personality that determines if one can be comfortable with using Arch on a normal basis (and even prefer to do so). Arch is the first and only Linux distribution that I've ever tried, and I've been using it pretty much exclusively for a few months now (I may boot into my Windows partition to play games like GTA IV or use EAC or something, but that is rare). I came from Windows not knowing much about OSs. However, I had the right personality. I liked to configure things (such as editing the text files for settings of some pc games like America's Army, Bioshock, Source games, etc.), and I would always read up the subject before I made changes. Naturally this lead me to Arch at some point. I love reading documentation and trying to figure things out for myself by searching, reading, and troubleshooting. So by reading the Beginner's Guide and other related documentation, I've been able to live comfortably on Arch despite having no prior experience with Linux.

#803 2013-06-12 18:26:13

czubek
Banned

If I can install and use Arch Linux, a trained chimp can do it. The best thing about Arch is it's a rolling release, so a fresh installation invariably leapfrogs any problem that resulted in a crashed system.

#804 2013-06-15 19:58:20

scjet
Banned

Arch is a more constant growing experience. It's hard to ride on the most bleeding-edge of all linux distro's out there without experiencing road-bumps along the way.
Everyone's experiences will be different, depending on many things, but the funny part is Arch is defeintely NOT *Buntu,..., and yet, Arch "is" Linux, equally as *Buntu,..., -heck, they all are.
..., even though Arch is not really the "absolute" bleeding-weirdo-testing-edge, although it can be more easily than others, it still remains something that if you don't keep up with intenal changes, then you're outta luck sonner than you think, Or, you could invariably be enjoying fixes that everyone else hasn't quite implemented  yet ???
Then again, Maybe Arch is just a double-edged sword, and that should be tantalizing enough?

I guess I just agree with @czubek for now too.\

...than again, Computer Science is Arch too, so pick your blades and learn to adapt like the rest of us.
wink

The "BSD" things in life are "Free", and "Open", and so is "Arch"

#805 2013-06-18 22:19:16

PReP
Website

Actually, i never actually "got" linux at all pre-arch.
I had tried ubuntu because it was "the cool thing", but only as an actual user (as in; i just used what was given), and i got no deeper understanding of stuff, and crap, and junk. (besides, hey, packages and pre-set dirs are a nice concept).
I then just booted it from time to time doing nothing particular really, then liking how it was not windows (this was years ago, before ubuntu had that sour and stale and crappy taste to it in the general minds).

I do remember doing a Crux linux install, but i do not think i did use it that much,
and i also do not remember how i ended up trying Arch..

.. But Arch actually taught me, and keeps teaching me, and i feel so much in the know of stuff, junk and crap then i were before.

My bottom line is that i do not think we always need a "let's get used to this lesser distro" first, unless one is really lost to anything lacking a start menu (though i suppose Win are too nowadays tongue)

. Main: Intel Core i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4 XMP, Gefore GTX 970 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Server: Intel Core i5 2500k @ 3.9 Ghz, 8 GB DDR2-XMP RAM @ 1600 Mhz, Geforce GTX 570 (Gainward Phantom) - Arch Linux 64-Bit
. Body: Estrogen @ 90%, Testestorone @ 10% (Not scientific just out-of-my-guesstimate-brain)

#806 2013-06-30 12:21:23

kcy29581

Just wanted to say how much I love this distribution. I used to distrohop like mad back in the day, but for a good number of years I have been running Arch as my main platform for everything, except for gaming. And now Steam is here, and with Wine getting better and better each release, I may be able to use Linux for my gaming needs as well!

On top of it, I used Arch as work as a server for our file-serving needs, and it never failed me.

A great big thank you to the devs, and the community that makes the magic happen.

There is no spoon in Arch...

#807 2013-06-30 14:19:48

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Merged in kcy29581's thread; title was "I love you Arch, thanks for the continuous run of fun!"

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#808 2013-07-07 14:46:30

Socal Tom

Just sort of patting myself, and all the developers, mods and generally helpful folks what I consider a pretty successful experiment.
I've toyed with archlinuxarm on a hacked pogoplug to share video with my tivos with pyTivo for a couple of years.  I recently discovered plex, and wanted the ability to transcode, since the tivos and my ipad don't like the same formats.
Anyhow to make a short story long, I'm now running Arch on a resurected core2 duo.  Its running pyTivo and Plex, and monitoring some IP cams with motion.  Sharing the pics with lighttpd, and for giggles in setup up virtualbox with a win7 VM.  Then because it all went so smoothly I setup openvpn so I could log in from work  for no good reason.
Oh yeah, I'm using also using samba to load videos and provide a location for backups back ups. next week I'm adding a couple of hard drives, and I'm going to take a stab at LVM.
Thanks for all the help along the way..
Tom

#809 2013-07-07 15:39:42

ewaller
Administrator

Merging 'Nothing is Broken' thread with the 'Unofficial Arch is Best' sticky thread.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#810 2013-07-12 12:12:56

cdwijs

Hi All,

When installing for instance k3b, pacman shows me optional dependencies. I very much like the fact that pacman now shows me if they are already installed.

This saves me time, and I like it. Thanks pacman developers!

Best regards,
Cedric

#811 2013-07-12 13:22:29

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Merged cdwijs's thread. Its title was "Thanks pacman!"

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#812 2013-07-23 22:45:02

GI Jack

There is a lot of FUD about rolling release, and arch, and no, your laptop won't mysteriously stop working.

Arch IS rolling release, but it only uses stable grade software outside of "testing" repos. There are somtimes manual interventions, but rarely breaks.

Most of the problems come from stuff in AUR, which is of mixed quality, but you'll learn how to fix things yourself.

#813 2013-07-25 21:34:13

thiagowfx

Pacman, I just love you.

#814 2013-07-25 22:08:35

DeadDingo

I use Arch on all my work and home computers.  It's been solid and stable.  In short, it's beauty is in it's simplicity.

In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

#815 2013-07-26 13:32:29

keith_tx

Arch, you rock.

#816 2013-07-27 10:07:55

hsul

thiagowfx wrote:

Pacman, I just love you.

+1

#817 2013-08-04 13:45:57

hamhut1066

I've been using arch for about 8 months now, moving from ubuntu.
It is so refreshing to be able to actually find the problem.
I have very slow internet where I live so have to wait a month or 2 at a time between updates, and they always go fine!
The only exeption is doing partial upgrades or installing packages without upgrading the whole system (although one can normally get away with it)
The only problem I've had (barring stepping on and breaking my charger) was a trivial fix by simply rolling back to the previous install.

Arch Linux | i3 | mpd | vim
`Everything to those who wait`

#818 2013-08-16 11:13:19

Mineko

So, I've been distro-hopping for the last year and a half, heard about arch linux PLENTY of times, but never gave it much thought, then I installed and configured arch linux.
The end.

Meow.

#819 2013-08-17 11:26:36

wstewart90

Updates tend to be smaller when you do them more frequently. I typicall run updates every night while I'm at work but I only work 3 or 4 days a week so my first day back at work will probably have more updates since I try not to do too much computer stuff outside of work.

#820 2013-08-18 02:24:43

cardinal-biggles

caligula wrote:

Arch is Best!

It's been a month now since my arch installation.
I have used bunch of distros in the last 8 years, but somehow always came back to the *ubuntus.

All the recent shite with canonical has finally pushed me over the edge, and after searching the realms for a new home - I arrived at arch, and fell in love. It's exactly what I've always been looking for: simple. (Really) encouraging choice. Great documentation. Up-to-date. Rolling release.

So, Hi.

Dang... that's pretty much my story too (except for the 8 years part wink)

You know, being more experienced in Linux, Arch was perfect for me. Starting out with a command line wasn't like "oh crap what am I supposed to do" but more like "this is awesome." I love the ability to configure the system the way I want it in the first place instead of installing/uninstalling software after the fact.

I tried other distros and they just don't compare. I even tried Debian, but they don't exactly have the latest software, even in Sid. I'm not even kidding. And I really dislike Ubuntu's model for up-to-date software: either reinstall or do a huge upgrade every six months. Yeah, no.

#821 2013-08-18 06:47:44

rufus
Banned

....Arch is great for what it is and whom it targets....it is different not better as compared to all other distros.
   for the advanced coder/tinkerer it is a cutting edge, fast paced, hands on system it is great for that..
  all linuxes are great for what they are and whom they address...hmmm well a lot of em are anyway....
   Arch is a great place to lurn and have great thots....other distros are good for wot they are and whom they address....

EDIT; also the package management is second to none

Last edited by rufus (2013-08-18 06:57:10)

end ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     'the machine is not the end to the means., we are. In history, in board rooms and politic the greatest  decision and effort
        evolves from passion, lust for life, and a common sense of humanity. Never forget what you are and why'.         -me

#822 2013-08-20 18:42:49

mamamia88

Ordered a hd5450 for an old dell i have sitting around that i want to use as an htpc.  Prior it had debian on it and was working fine.  I compared the debian documentation on ati to the arch documentation on ati and the arch wiki looked so much simpler.  Sure debian install is more automated but if you want to do more complicated stuff down the line you can't beat the arch wiki.   Also it's always been super stable for me despite my worst fears when i started out.  So i slapped a base install of arch on the computer and can't wait to get it all set up with xmbc etc.   I love you arch

#823 2013-08-24 12:35:35

OrdinaryMagician
Website

I put Arch on everything: my desktop, my Raspberry Pi, my phone (chroot), my server... and I have it installed on an external HDD so I can run it on whatever other computer I get on (especially nice at school since the computers there run XP and Ubuntu).

It's just so versatile I prefer it over anything else...

Last edited by OrdinaryMagician (2013-08-24 12:35:49)

I'm just an ordinary magician...

#824 2013-09-01 23:47:04

Jeroen)Mathon

For me Ubuntu was like this (Day1:AWESOME,Day2:Lets add this and that of dont forget that,Day3:SYSTEM CRASH)
So after a few tries i decided to grab that old compiled printed wiki page of the installation for arch and install it.
And i must say its light weight and super fast.

For Arch you do need to be in love with the command line at least that is what i think.
But if what you do needs stability and power i'dd go for Arch.
Only flip side is my graphic card.
As for now AMD "Dropped" Support "<Im not buying that story." For Arch users "What they really mean is that they are fond of using Xorg ==<14.00 Packages"
So Gaming is not really that close as for now unless you want to downgrade.

I don't know for invidia i have Both AMD and Invidia cards so i might try to switch.
For the rest Gaming goes well (I am basicly in love with Stepmania)
But again you do need to be ready for a lot of Wiki research and Q&A's.

To be honest i think your gonna love it!

#825 2013-09-02 00:21:32

progandy

Only flip side is my graphic card.
As for now AMD "Dropped" Support "<Im not buying that story." For Arch users "What they really mean is that they are fond of using Xorg ==<14.00 Packages"
So Gaming is not really that close as for now unless you want to downgrade.

Use the beta driver (repo "catalyst" or aur "catalyst-test") if the opensource driver is too inefficient.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer