You are not logged in.

#3251 2013-07-02 18:59:50

GloW_on_dub

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

I've switched to arch when i get so annoyed by debian out of date stable release and new version of gnome wich i dislike.

So i switch to Arch+awesome and after some learning, i regain a certain level of control on my system.
I also gain a lot of productivity in my work, thx to awesome in that case (i'm a software engineer)

#3252 2013-07-02 22:47:11

Flaco
Website

Hi people smile

I'm Arthur (AKA Flaco) and I'm a GNU/Linux user (ex-Ubuntuer) since 2 years only, I'm 17 and I'm programming in C++ actually... big_smile
Oh and I living in Belgium (french speaker)!

I'm new here (ArchLinux in on my machine since... two days) and I wanted to say ArchLinux pierres (ok, this is a bad joke)
I choose Arch for its philosophy and to have a better point of view on a computer / GNU/Linux architecture.
Also, I want to know what I'm doing on my computer... so here it is. big_smile

#3253 2013-07-03 08:40:03

mgbob

Hi everyone,

My friends call me Bob, and I'm using Linux for 8 years. First I started with Suse 9,2 (if I remember correctly) and then I used Debian, Ubuntu and vice versa for a while. Until I found Arch, and I felt fell in love. big_smile (thx SanskritFritz)

I love Arch because it's philosophy, the simplicity and the control it gives you. I like the idea of knowing what are you installing and install only what you need. The idea to have a lot of unknown stuff moving under the bonnet, scares me. That's the reason I don't like (for my computers) other distro's that gives you everything done.

There'll be a lot to talk about, but after a few years with Arch I wanted to join the community and at least participate in the forum that gave me a lot of useful information.

And finally I want to say, that English is not my native language and be patient and please correct me every time I make a mistake.

^_^!

Last edited by mgbob (2013-07-03 13:32:01)

#3254 2013-07-04 17:34:14

litzel

Hello everyone, I just joined the forum! it's nice to be here!

#3255 2013-07-04 17:40:25

bohoomil
Website

Hello. There's been even a dedicated thread waiting for you: The Official Hello Everyone Thread.

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#3256 2013-07-04 18:00:27

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3257 2013-07-05 19:38:52

crrama

If you're using mingw32 (and compiling Windows apps on Linux: that's weird, I know) and wondering where is liburlmon.a (there is no such file in mingw32-w32api package) to link against (urlmon.h is already in wine package, but still no liburlmon.a), here is the solution:
1) Get urlmon.spec for your Wine version somewhere (i.e. from http://source.winehq.org/git/wine.git/, its in 'dlls/urlmon')
2) $ winebuild --def -E urlmon.spec -o urlmon.spec.def -fPIC -D__WINE__
3) $ i486-mingw32-dlltool --kill-at --output-lib liburlmon.a --input-def urlmon.spec.def # (or maybe --add-stdcall-alias should be the right way)
4) You've got your new shiny liburlmon.a, and you can move it to /usr/i486-mingw32/lib/ along with the others
That's it. Now you can link your executables against urlmon.dll without that ugly trick with LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress.

I was not sure where to post this, so this is here.

Last edited by crrama (2013-07-05 19:47:28)

#3258 2013-07-07 02:11:04

degmic71

Used arch back in 2008-09, glad to be back on the bleeding edge!!! smile

#3259 2013-07-07 08:38:36

walterpowell
Website

Lenovo Ideapad Y580:

Successful dual-boot Windows 8 Professional/Arch Linux in UEFI/GPT mode (grub loading from default Windows EFI system partition (ESP))
Everything appears to work...
Bumblebee is effectively disabling the discrete Nvidia GTX 660m secondary GPU upon boot...
Will further test Intel HD 4000/Nvidia GTX 660m graphics switching with primus running through optirun tomorrow.    <--07/07/2013--**UPDATE**-optirun-(primus)-works-just-lovely--<<<
Two days (and about 50 hours) later...was definitely worth it.
Now I need to find a way to develope ASP.NET MVC in this envionment...
Sacrilige? I don't know...is it?

Last edited by walterpowell (2013-07-07 18:49:29)

<==[----'/'/ /' |, '|'---->

#3260 2013-07-07 09:15:20

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with the Official Hello Everyone thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3261 2013-07-07 12:29:11

Vulpes

I fell in love with the wiki, tried the OS, packing all my bags off other systems & moving over. All that is left is to watch & follow the community.

#3262 2013-07-07 15:21:44

psytr0nic

#first steps
where was I since all this time ? #Lost planet ..
I feel myself ready to leave GUI linux distro . IN LOVE WITH #aRCHlinux

huting knowledge to keep #Openmind

#3263 2013-07-07 18:37:55

Aspire-Atom

Hello everyone!
I'm a new user of Arch, I'm an ex-user of Debian, well... I have it on some computers but in my personal computer I decided to install Arch, I join the forum because I want to learn more and I was a little bit bored of Debian tongue, also because the forum and the Wiki is awesome!

My PC: Acer Aspire One with  Arch 32bits + Gnome 3

#3264 2013-07-08 06:59:06

surfivor

Hi Newbs,
Glad to be joining the ranks, I love that this distro encourages some independent thought. Autodiadictism ftw!

#3265 2013-07-08 15:33:05

rps_deepan

Hi guys! I'm Suriyadeepan from Puducherry, India. I'm an arch newb! been using Fedora and Ubuntu for over an year! wld love to learn a lot about arch and try them...

#3266 2013-07-08 19:02:28

Sheva

Hello world! I have switched from Windows directly to Arch with the help of my roommate and I'm right now learning all the basics. The reason why I switched... well, I'm just interested in Linux and wanted to have a good system right up from the start. Thats why. What else is to say? Well, my system (since everyone is posting it)
Asrock X79 extreme11
Intel Core I7 3820
32 gigs of RAM
Samsung 830 SSD
AMD Radeon 7970

And I'm happy that the AMD card is running without any major hickups. People told me, the AMD drivers shall be somewhat "bad" under Linux, but it is running pretty well.

See you in the "I have a question"-subforums. smile

#3267 2013-07-10 18:26:27

Jayasankar

Hello I'm Jayasankar from India. I was an Ubuntu user,but now turned to use Arch Linux..Not much idea about how to fix real arch problems.Hope I will get enough information from here, how to troubleshoot my new Arch Linux....:)

#3268 2013-07-10 22:03:31

VanillaFunk
Website

I should probably say hello.

Ever thankful for the wiki and forums... finally starting to get my feet wet in putting stuff on AUR .
been very thankful for arch's presence in the ever growing sea of overloaded distros and what not.

Hope everyone else that installs arch finds themselves as happy as i was for it.  thnx developers.

archx86_64 : awesomewm
https://github.com/dreemsoul

Remeber to feed the squirrels

#3269 2013-07-12 13:07:00

rajasegar

Hello everyone
I am Rajasegar , a web developer and graphic designer from Pondicherry, a small town in India and i fell in love with Arch recently. Actually it was some 4 to 5 years back when i first tried Linux for the first time, one of my friend introduced  Arch to me, but as a newbie i was a little intimidated by Arch and i formatted and lost all my data on hard drive in my laptop while installing Arch, it was my ignorance that i messed up with the partitions.

First i tried Knoppix from a live cd, just had a glance at the user interface, file system and stuff and thought it was a little bit old school, then i thought i could use a dual boot and tried Ubuntu for the first time and quite happy i started using Linux , i was carried away by GNOME interface and my laptop was quite fast and performing well with Linux better than Windows Vista which came installed default with my old COMPAQ Presario Laptop. The only thing that took me a quite amount of time is to use my USB stick to connect internet using the default Network manager that came with Ubuntu, but later i figured it out to use wvdial for that, wow another shell utility for connecting to Internet. CLI utilities rock!!!

I started learning to use the shell and it paid of very well for my programming career since i understood the concepts very clear while learning the internal workings of Linux and Unix systems. I keep on learning about my Ubuntu system and it took me some 2-3 years approximately to switch completely to Ubuntu removing all my Windows from the laptop.

I was waiting eagerly for each and every cycle of new version of Ubuntu to get installed and having the latest software in my system, but sometimes i was frustrated everytime i have to install the operating system again and again but i thought it was worth the effort. But then i always thought i missed something , i am not learning the stuff which i was supposed to learn by starting using Linux or Unix. But every new version of Ubuntu came with its own set of bugs and problems loaded with its bloated user interface aka Unity. I was very restless day by day and i thought its time to switch to another distro.

Fortunately i was given an opportunity to work with Fedora in my new office in my new job as a  web developer, before that i was purely into programming, i used to be a Visual C++ programmer on Windows platform. To my surprise and my curiosity Fedora was much much stable than Ubuntu and the repositories always got the fresh load of software in it. It was pretty amazing to use the package manager "yum" still i prefer "apt" was an easy one to use. I got carried away by the GNOME 3 interface it was much faster and responsive than Unity, then i decided this is the one distro i was looking for despite of the fact that it is still another distro which comes with all the bloated software and unwanted things i would be needing in my system and i could not take complete control of my Linux machine.  My learning curve also got steeper and steeper day by day, i started using different distros.

But i was not quite happy with the 6 month release cycle and the unnecessary software that comes preloaded with the distro and everytime i have to reinstall my operating system whenever i am moving to new version of the distro. Then i tried Linux Mint for some eye candy and simple approach and out of the box working software which was much better than Ubuntu.

For the past 1 or 2 months it was quite an amazing experience for me that i installed some 6-7 distros (including Arch) in my machines both in my home and office, but it was very helpful and great learning many new things and this all started with me trying Arch once again and coming back to it with some little knowledge after studying so much about Linux all these years, still i need to learn much much more about Linux...

Now i feel like i am completely free from all the shackles of proprietary operating systems, commercial packages and bloated software, its quite amazing to learn, install and use an Arch system, i have complete control of my machine, i can keep track of what software i have and i am using in my machine, how much hard disk space, how much ram, everything and anything i can get my hands on, now i have my own choice of software starting from very simple utilities like my shell to much more complex applications like file managers, window managers, etc.,

I take this opportunity to thank all my fellow Archers for providing such great operating system along with complete set of packages, community, forums and wonderful wiki pages.

Thank you all , thanks a lot, all the efforts are much much appreciated...

ArchLinux rocks!!

"Governing sense, mind and intellect, intent on liberation, free from desire, fear and anger, the sage is forever free." - Bhagavat Gita

I am the one
Website     Deviantart
Behance

#3270 2013-07-12 13:28:20

BahbGTR

Yet another hello!

I'm a CS Master's student in the US.  I have dabbled with Linux for about 13 years now, but have never made the full switch I just undertook.  I wasn't happy with the way Windows was shaping up with 8 and 8.1.  I was pushed over the edge when I read that MS was integrating advertisements into their local programs.  Seems tacky to do that when people shell out $100+ for software.  Ironically, the MS bootloader took a nose dive one evening two weeks ago and I thought "The heck with it".

Most of my Linux experience comes from Gentoo and Funtoo.  I thought it would be better to switch to a distro that seemed familiar enough to me, but didn't require a sizable time investment to keep stable and up to date. I did run a VPS for about two years that was based off Ubuntu running a small webserver and IRC node.  I think Unity is a dog, so I didn't want to go there on my desktop and I don't like how long it takes Debian to get software into their official branch.   I had heard a lot about Arch and figured I would give it a shot.  I was sold when the Arch liveCD booted to straight to CLI instead of a desktop.

Been solely running  Arch on my desktop for about a week now, and I am loving it!  My other systems are all running OS X.  I keep this system for heavy lifting (I'm focusing on databases in my studies) and gaming.

#3271 2013-07-12 19:16:10

p1010

Greettings programs! Mr-E here.

I'm a newbie Arch Linux user; I use Linux since 2009 (if mind don't lie).

+ Actually running 7 servers (4 real, 3 virtual) most are Debian, one Ubuntu server LTS, and one old Win2000 SBS
+ My current desktop at work is an Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
+ Actually Learning how to install a PDC in zentyal

Currently I try to learn the most of every distro for the task that is need it.
so I seek to learn the best tool for virtualize servers (with mixed vm OS)
I seek to learn about Arch, CentOS and virtualization (kvm, xen, qemu) to acomplish my tasks.

At home, I'm a very happy Arch Linux/Cinnamon user, since 3 weeks ago.

I have some little issues that I need to fix but my current system works 99.99% like I want/need.

Regards

#3272 2013-07-15 13:53:15

seumenezes

Hello Everyone!

I am Jean Menezes from Brazil. I have been using Arch for the latest week or so.

Despite not working with anything heavily computer-related (I am a PhD candidate in musical composition and a music teacher), I am a soon-to-be seasoned Linux user. Started with OpenSuse LiveCD in 2005. After that, I had some fun with PuppyLinux. Between late 2006-2009 I dual-booted Windoze XP and Ubuntu/UbuntuStudio. From 2010 on I started to work with electronic music and computational musicology. I ditched Winderps with great pleasure and started using CrunchBang exclusively, which was awesome at start, but progressively started annoying me with several things (namely apt and its occasional dependency hell). In this meantime, I flirted with lightweight distros (such as AntiX, SliTaz, DSL and Puppy again) and started to feel the urge to reorganize myself and think more about performance and reliability of my systems. A major data loss (my very fault for being too lazy to backup and too stingy to spend some nickels in another external storage device) made me rethink my entire computational life. Arch was my first step into this new way of thinking and I am all thankful for learning it and progressively starting to tame my system. And pacman is filled with victory and epicness, too!

I should add, I am a wannabe minimalist since #!, trying openbox, xmonad, i3 and finally settling with musca. I do as much as I can with the terminal and aim to dismiss GUI and mouse for everything where it is superfluous. I like tmux and urxvt, and I am an avid vim enthusiast (though I am nowhere near bashing Emacs, as I see where this monster excels. I can even use it if someone point a gun at my head, and can even try some elisp if they threaten my family as well). For making music, I love ChucK, Lilypond and Audacity (and rarely need anything other than these). I am also keen on anything that aims to be lightweight on resources and play nicely with cpu and i/o.

Long life to Arch. I hope I can contribute positively to our discussions, as much as possible. I'll try hard to be polite and useful, but assholeness is sometimes an unstoppable force of human nature. I am sorry in advance for that wink

Best regards!

Não me siga. Estou tão perdido quanto você.
Don't follow me. I am as lost as you.

#3273 2013-07-15 18:02:39

herb

Hi,

my name is Herbert.

I am gambling with linux already a couple of days smile  I switched to arch two day ago, coming from Gentoo/Funtoo. Mainly I switchted because I never used arch before.

My first project went no so bad, I wanted to set up a machine with two disks utilizing ZFS-filesystem (did this with Gentoo and Funtoo before). After I figured out how to get there, (the actual arch description has some points for improvement) it worked. What I like is that installing new programs is much faster then the gentoo-way. Of course, the gentoo-way I have much more control, but compiling a web-browser takes ... and takes .... and takes time.

The ZFS-install went as said fine, but at one point of time I forgot to update initram (the modules to operate zfs-filesystem are not part of the kernel) and I could not boot it any more. Instead of fixing, I switched to lvm on raid with ext4. Installed that yesterday and I am happy till now.

As for the window-manager, I like i3 right now most, web-browser is chromium, and I am preparing the machine right now to develop the pictures I took on vacation.

Biside of that I have a little server build, running ubuntu-server with some virtuel machines on it, firewall, DNS/DHCP server, mail-server, web-server. Was a great project !!

#3274 2013-07-15 19:14:35

nfisher.sr

Finally switched all the way over to Arch. Started out on Linux back in '05, using Puppy to get my feet wet. Grew tired of the limitations and very non-portable code. Did som distro hopping, including Fedora, Slackware, Vector. I found myself running Debian unstable on a laptop and FreeBSD on my desktop, then just FreeBSD on everything for a while. Started toying with a migration back to Linux when it became obvious that most modern software projects were getting harder to port to *BSD. When xfce moved to udev/udisks it was just about the last straw, as Gnome was already gone and I don't care much for KDE. I played around with LFS and pkgsrc for a bit but it was frustrating. Doesn't *just work* on linux, although with some effor a lot of problems can be solved.

I tried Arch under qemu a couple months back and wound up migrating the qemu installation to my hard drive. Dual booting with Debian Jessie. I was still tied to debian until about a week ago due to problems with the newer openchrome driver (mouse artifacts and a screwed up console). But I wound up adding a new video card and things are great now.

I'm quite happy with it now. I'm a huge fan of the rolling release model and up to date packages (my primary reasons for loving FreeBSD) as well as the vanilla nature of the install. Plus, the wiki is just about the best source of documentation out there. And after going back to a simple desktop (openbox with conky, stalonetray, and a bunch of homebrewed pipe menus) I'm getting to be productive again.

I have a few projects going on at present. Working on a number of openbox pipe menus that are shell based (for small systems that might not have room for python or perl plus all the extra modules) and a little gui for sshfs and curlftpfs to provide network connectivity to apps like leafpad and Rox-Filer that don't speak gvfs. Uses gtkdialog (I used it a lot with Puppy, what can I say...) and rox. I'm also toying with a small musl libc based environment that I compiled from scratch, and a makefile based build system that creates a small system resembling LFS. Those last two are more for amusement and my own education.

#3275 2013-07-16 21:11:41

nixifo

Hello!
Newbie here, I tried Mint for some time on my laptop and thought maybe I could try install Arch. It was difficult for me (even with excellent wiki guides) I had 2 unsuccessful tries, this time I chose syslinux instead of grub and I made it(?). Installed SLiM but I have problems with Cinnamon (freeze with the first click of mouse) and thought that again the installation was a failure. Then I installed Mate and couldn't believe that all worked. Looking forward to learn new things and have more control of my system. Next thing is to solve the Cinnamon problem. Nice to join you.
Regards

Board footer