You are not logged in.

#51 2013-07-08 01:09:04

BurntSushi
Website

Re: Wingo: floating and tiling window manager with per-monitor workspaces

`bar` seems to be setting struts correctly in a single monitor set up, and Wingo allocates appropriate space for it.

I tried testing it further in a multiple monitor environment though, and things got a little weird. In at least one instance, I found that `bar` was setting struts incorrectly with respect to my configuration in `config.h`. However, I also found another instance where Wingo was behaving badly. So there may be two bugs at work here.

Could you please post your monitor configuration? (I think the output of `xrandr -q` would work.) Also, could you post your `config.h` for your `bar` program?

You may also want to check out this fork of `bar`, which seems to add xinerama support if you are indeed running multiple monitors. However, it hasn't been updated in a while, so you might need to use some git-fu to merge changes from upstream. I think the following would work:

git clone git://github.com/llchan/bar
cd bar
git remote add upstream git@github.com:LemonBoy/bar
git pull upstream master

I just tried it and there aren't any merge conflicts. But I couldn't get that version to cooperate either... :-(

Thanks for your patience!

Last edited by BurntSushi (2013-07-08 01:13:28)

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#52 2013-07-14 04:53:51

Poplus

Hello,
I'm sorry but I won't be able to test Wingo again as I had to remove arch linux from my notebook hmm
However, while I was using it I didn't have multiple monitors, so I might have messed up something hahaha
Anyway, thanks for the support and sorry for taking so long to reply.  Unfortunately due to college studies and lack of time I had to abandon Linux word sad
If I end up installing arch again, I'll definitely go for WIngo wink

#53 2013-07-14 14:58:11

BurntSushi
Website

@Populus - Okey dokey. FYI, I used Archlinux throughout my college years (and now, still, in my graduate years), so if you'd like any help I'd be happy to offer it. Just come over to #wingo on FreeNode.

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

#54 2013-07-15 01:58:26

hellbuster

I can't get compositing to work correctly:
  - Using cairo-compmgr: only conky works (changing window type from desktop to override, but that makes conky stay on top)
  - Using compton: tint2 and conky work correctly, but none of the terminals I tried work (roxterm, tilda and guake).
Currently, I'm using a laptop with an Intel card, but when I tried (some time ago) in my desktop (with a Nvidia card) I had the same problems sad

#55 2013-07-15 04:10:43

BurntSushi
Website

hellbuster wrote:

I can't get compositing to work correctly:
  - Using cairo-compmgr: only conky works (changing window type from desktop to override, but that makes conky stay on top)
  - Using compton: tint2 and conky work correctly, but none of the terminals I tried work (roxterm, tilda and guake).
Currently, I'm using a laptop with an Intel card, but when I tried (some time ago) in my desktop (with a Nvidia card) I had the same problems sad

That is odd. Your video card/drivers shouldn't have anything to do with it. I have a laptop with an Intel chipset that works OK. (I have desktops with AMD and nVidia cards that also work OK.)

My suspicion is that some part of your configuration is a bit off. For example, are you just trying to get transparency to work? If so, then the application you're running shouldn't affect whether compositing is working---most of them will be treated equally. (Although I guess I can imagine that a compositing manager would treat panels differently.)

How are you trying to use the compositor? Do you have the focus transparency hook in Wingo enabled? Are you trying to set transparency in application specific settings? Basically, I need more details about what you're trying. Also, did you use a window manager previous to Wingo where you had compositing working like you want? If so, which WM?

If possible, you should ping me (burntsushi) in #wingo on FreeNode. I suspect it will be easier to debug that way.

#56 2013-07-15 05:42:38

hellbuster

I'm trying to get transparency using the application specific settings (and not the focus hook). I did some testing and:
  - notify-osd works fine
  - shadows works fine
So it seems that I have problem with the terminals only, instead of transparent background I get solid color. It could be a bug in vte, so I will make some tests with a non-vte based emulator.

Using Openbox I get the expected behavior.

EDIT: urxvt doesn't work, either.

Last edited by hellbuster (2013-07-15 17:11:14)

#57 2013-12-07 22:54:55

rod

Hi Andy,

First of all, thank you. I love Wingo. It is one of the best (if not the best) WM i have tried. I have though a couple of questions with regards of options (I am not sure if i have missed them out though).
1 - Is there any command or way to AutoSwitchLast (rather than AutoSwitchNext / AutoSwitchPrev) meaning the last visited workspace
2 - Is there any command or way to hide or toggle the bar ? (this can be easily resolved with scripts though)

Cheers - Rod

#58 2013-12-13 22:56:44

BurntSushi
Website

rod -

I'm glad you're enjoying Wingo!

Re #1: Wingo itself doesn't log workspace history, so it doesn't support a "last visited" kind of switch. However, that's definitely doable with a little bit of Python scripting with [pywingo](https://github.com/wingowm/pywingo) ([api docs](http://pdoc.burntsushi.net/pywingo)). If you hop on to the #wingo IRC channel on FreeNode, I'd be happy to help you with that.

Re #2: Wingo always obeys struts set by client windows. It seems to be that it should be the bar's responsibility to provide a toggle feature (i.e., set and unset the strut property).

#59 2013-12-14 19:26:40

rod

Thank you Andy, and thanks for the link. I may take a look and re-write what I have. So far I sorted it out using bash+tmpfs. Very simple. just a line and it works fine. As for the second point, I fully agree with you.

Only for feedback, what I have not been able to resolve so efficiently (speed-wise, although it works), is (in floating mode) move-relative, resize-relative, max-H, max-V because some of the EWMH functionality is still in beta. Also, not very eficient is the script to search for non empty Workspaces (only really noticeable when the number of WS is big - normally I use 22). Possibly those can be done better/faster in phyton with pywingo. I may drop you a line about this on IRC.

Thank you again (for everything) - Rod

#60 2013-12-14 20:20:54

BurntSushi
Website

Yes, please swing by IRC. We can take a look at what you have. If they're short programs, I should be able to help you convert them to Python in a jif.

Although, you shouldn't be hitting any performance problems with only 22 workspaces.

#61 2014-04-06 00:28:09

Cpt.Teacup

Is there any way to enable window resistance like Openbox has?

#62 2014-04-06 02:04:56

BurntSushi
Website

No, sorry. Wingo doesn't have any snap-to feature.

#63 2014-04-06 02:30:58

Cpt.Teacup

Darn. Have you dropped support for Openbox-Multihead?

#64 2014-04-06 03:22:25

BurntSushi
Website

Pretty much, yeah. I don't intend to continue working on it since I haven't been using it for a few years now.

Note that Wingo has automatic tiling built in and you can script it with Python.

#65 2014-04-06 03:44:21

Cpt.Teacup

I can only see myself using automatic tiling in a few specific situations. I like to keep certain programs in specifically sized windows and reorganize/resize them depending on what else I want to keep open and visible at the same time, I can't do that with auto tiling. Maybe I'm missing something but Openbox's resistance is the only way I've been able to do that. Unfortunately, I now find myself needing a second monitor with a separate workspace and these two features seem to be mutually exclusive.

Board footer