You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-09 21:33:48

battlepanic
Member
Registered: 2009-08-22
Posts: 74

A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

I wanted to add some compile-time options to the qemu package so I synced my local ABS tree and made a copy of the relevant PKGBUILD and its associated files:

$ sudo abs
$ cp -r /var/abs/extra/qemu/ ~/abs/local/

However, I noticed that this particular qemu PKGBUILD is at version 1.4.2-2 whereas the qemu version available from the extra repo is currently at 1.5.1-2. 

To be sure I wasn't mistaken, I synced my local abs tree twice and had someone else confirm that they too are seeing the qemu 1.4.2-2 PKGBUILD after updating his abs tree.

Is this to be expected?  How often is the central ABS tree updated?

Offline

#2 2013-07-09 21:39:56

jasonwryan
Forum & Wiki Admin
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 19,329
Website

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

┌─[Veles ~]
└─╼ abpkg qemu
Extra version
1.4.2-2
ABS version
1.4.2-2

Installed
1.4.2-2

ABS mirror is only synched once a day; and my mirrors still haven't caught up with 1.5.1, which was only uploaded in the last couple of hours...


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#3 2013-07-09 21:46:42

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,432

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

Offline

#4 2013-07-09 22:42:00

WonderWoofy
Member
From: Los Gatos, CA
Registered: 2012-05-19
Posts: 8,412

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

jasonwryan wrote:
┌─[Veles ~]
└─╼ abpkg qemu
Extra version
1.4.2-2
ABS version
1.4.2-2

Installed
1.4.2-2

ABS mirror is only synched once a day; and my mirrors still haven't caught up with 1.5.1, which was only uploaded in the last couple of hours...

What is this abpkg witchcraft you have here?  A self made script I presume?

Offline

#5 2013-07-09 22:43:29

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,432

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

WonderWoofy wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:
┌─[Veles ~]
└─╼ abpkg qemu
Extra version
1.4.2-2
ABS version
1.4.2-2

Installed
1.4.2-2

ABS mirror is only synched once a day; and my mirrors still haven't caught up with 1.5.1, which was only uploaded in the last couple of hours...

What is this abpkg witchcraft you have here?  A self made script I presume?

https://bitbucket.org/jasonwryan/centur … at=default

Offline

#6 2013-07-09 22:47:01

jasonwryan
Forum & Wiki Admin
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 19,329
Website

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

karol, your omniscience is getting scary...

It is a badly adapted version of absent; and I really should spend some time fixing it up.


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#7 2013-07-09 22:48:38

WonderWoofy
Member
From: Los Gatos, CA
Registered: 2012-05-19
Posts: 8,412

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

Neat.  Thanks karol.  I didn't even think about checking jasonwryan's bitbucket. 

To add to the actual topic of the thread.  If you really need the updated pkgbuild (and any accompanying files), you can always use the packages web interface and follow the link to the git repo that holds all those stuffs.

Offline

#8 2013-07-09 22:58:29

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,432

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

WonderWoofy wrote:

To add to the actual topic of the thread.  If you really need the updated pkgbuild (and any accompanying files), you can always use the packages web interface and follow the link to the git repo that holds all those stuffs.

You need to be careful if there are versions of this package in testing and non-testing repos, as the web interface will point to the testing ones e.g. https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/i686/amule/ If you click 'Source Files' link in the top right and then view the PKGBUILD https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit … ages/amule you will see it is for version 10803-3, even though we wanted version 10803-2 from [extra].
For amule, there shouldn't be a difference, but for some other packages, there might be: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=164759

Offline

#9 2013-07-09 23:07:51

WonderWoofy
Member
From: Los Gatos, CA
Registered: 2012-05-19
Posts: 8,412

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

It is probably good to point that out.  But if you follow the "View Changes" link, then it will give you a list of all recent updates to the package.  So you can then select the one you want, and it will give you single diff for all the files in the tarball.  So you can just run a quick patching on the outdated ABS directory, and then you're up to date!

Offline

#10 2013-07-09 23:16:39

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,432

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

WonderWoofy wrote:

It is probably good to point that out.  But if you follow the "View Changes" link, then it will give you a list of all recent updates to the package.  So you can then select the one you want, and it will give you single diff for all the files in the tarball.  So you can just run a quick patching on the outdated ABS directory, and then you're up to date!

The thing is, 'View Changes' link doesn't work as expected if there are versions of the package in both testing and non-testing repos. Compare https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit … s/syslinux with https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit … s/syslinux - only the latter shows the diff 4.06-1 -> 4.06-2 (it's the latest diff).

Offline

#11 2013-07-09 23:21:51

progandy
Member
Registered: 2012-05-17
Posts: 2,151

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

WonderWoofy wrote:

It is probably good to point that out.  But if you follow the "View Changes" link, then it will give you a list of all recent updates to the package.  So you can then select the one you want, and it will give you single diff for all the files in the tarball.  So you can just run a quick patching on the outdated ABS directory, and then you're up to date!

If you need the current stable version and the default is the testing build, then don't search in the log, but use the directory structure:
ROOT/trunk : current dev version (this is where the "Source Files" link points you)
ROOT/repos : current files for specific repos, e.g. there might be a subdir for core, extra, testing, ...
(if you are in "trunk", click on "root" in the line which shows the path, then navigate to the repo you want)

Last edited by progandy (2013-07-09 23:25:19)

Offline

#12 2013-07-11 20:57:39

battlepanic
Member
Registered: 2009-08-22
Posts: 74

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize that 1.4.2-2 was actually the previously released qemu package for Arch.  Looking at the commit log for qemu on the svntogit interface, version 1.4.2-2 doesn't appear in the logs.  How do these commits correspond to actual package releases?

This is probably pretty basic stuff, but I'd love to get a better handle on the flow of package development.

Offline

#13 2013-07-11 21:01:07

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,432

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

Please read https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 4#p1298474 and follow the forum link I posted.

https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit … kages/qemu - you don't get the version numbers in the log, just the date, but you can always click and see the diff.

Offline

#14 2013-07-11 21:25:55

Xyne
Moderator/TU
Registered: 2008-08-03
Posts: 5,724
Website

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

a very old package version

last couple of hours

oy vey roll

Offline

#15 2013-07-11 21:29:48

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,432

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

Xyne wrote:

a very old package version

last couple of hours

oy vey roll

As OP wrote https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1299147 , at the time he started this thread, he wasn't aware that it was the previous version.

Last edited by karol (2013-07-11 21:31:41)

Offline

#16 2013-07-11 22:15:49

Xyne
Moderator/TU
Registered: 2008-08-03
Posts: 5,724
Website

Re: A very old package version is still in the ABS tree

karol wrote:

As OP wrote https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 7#p1299147 , at the time he started this thread, he wasn't aware that it was the previous version.

It wasn't a critical post (I would not use "oy vey" seriously). I just find the juxtaposition of those quotes entertaining.

Nevertheless, your defence doesn't excuse not checking first, so "oy vey" += 1 tongue

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB