You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-25 17:46:39

rberry88

xmms playlist problem..

I have XMMS installed and running just fine. My problem is when I want to put new music files into a playlist it opens a window to select the directory for me to find the music files, the problem comes because the  music files are in is a hidden file (starts with a "." and I see no option to 'show hidden files'.

Normally I would just rename the directory so it's not hidden but 1) there are tons of files in there and 2) I depend on that file being hidden for another program to use.

rberry88

#2 2004-01-25 17:56:06

sarah31
Website

Re: xmms playlist problem..

can you not type in the true full path to the directory/music files?

you may not get "into" that directory again ujntil you click on the dir/file+ again but you should be able to get in that way.

alternatively i suggest mp3blaster. it is a console terminal player but it is all hotkey navagatable and it is really easy to make playlists even when the files/dirs are in a dot file.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-01-25 18:12:01

rberry88

I tried entering the path to the directory and the path each song but it keeps telling me "unable to read directory" error. I even did a chmod 777 on the directory before this.

The only solution I found was to open up Krusader (file manager) and select the songs and when I right click it has an option to "add to xmms playlist" which works fine. I don't know if other file managers will work this way as I haven't tried them but this method seems to work just fine. I just select them this way and open xmms and then select "save playlist" and save it with a .pls extension and all is good.

rberry88

#4 2004-01-25 19:59:22

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

If you go to the directory that has the hidden directory in it (using the xmms file selection window thingy) and type in .directory/ and hit enter, it will go into that directory no problem.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2004-01-25 21:13:31

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

rberry88 wrote:

Normally I would just rename the directory so it's not hidden but 1) there are tons of files in there and 2) I depend on that file being hidden for another program to use.

You should be able to get it working in xmms, but you could also create a non-hidden symlink to the hidden directory so that both programs can access it.

ln -s .hidderddir nonhiddenddir

Dusty

#6 2004-01-25 22:19:56

rberry88

Xentac wrote:

If you go to the directory that has the hidden directory in it (using the xmms file selection window thingy) and type in .directory/ and hit enter, it will go into that directory no problem.

Ahh, that worked perfectly, I guess I wasn't hitting enter after typing in the .directory/ name.

Thanks, that is much easier.

rberry88

#7 2004-01-25 23:14:58

sarah31
Website

i thought i basically said this already
:?:

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2004-01-26 02:42:21

rberry88

sarah31 wrote:

i thought i basically said this already
:?:

Yeah, but what I was doing, like you said, was putting the whole directory (path) in and then hitting one of the buttons "add directory to list" and "add all files in directory" but it wasn't working because I wasn't hitting the "ENTER" key after doing this instead of one of those buttons. I think this is what you were telling me but I was missing the obvious that Xentac pointed out.

It doesn't matter since it's figured out anyway.  8)  big_smile  8)

rberry88

Board footer