You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-01 21:34:03

Lowra

[SOLVED] Can't install extension pack of VirtualBox

Hi, I followed the Wiki article but I can't install the extension pack for VirtualBox neither through Virtualbox itself, nor through a command line:

[david@laptop ~]$ VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.4-74291.vbox-extpack
0%...
Progress state: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
VBoxManage: error: Failed to install "/home/david/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.4-74291.vbox-extpack": The installer failed with exit code 127: Error creating textual authentication agent: Error opening current controlling terminal for the process (`/dev/tty'): No such device or address

I'm running Arch x64 without a DE (Openbox, lxterminal...)

If you could help me,
Thanks

EDIT: SOLVED: had to run with sudo

Last edited by Lowra (2011-11-01 21:45:31)

#2 2013-07-12 12:24:38

xarragon

Re: [SOLVED] Can't install extension pack of VirtualBox

Be careful with this, using sudo the package contents was installed into the root account's home directory instead of my current user. Also, the package might write stuff into system directories, damaging or conflicting with your systems package manager.

#3 2013-07-12 14:01:20

Scimmia
Fellow

You bumped a year and a half old thread for that?

Nothing in the extension pack writes to home dirs, so that's of no concern. The files the extension pack writes to are very specific to VBox, so they won't conflict.

#4 2015-03-19 14:24:21

windozupdate
Banned

Yes he bumped it up for that because he has right. Here is the answer for everybody who crawling the web for this stupid "Virtualbox `/dev/tty'): No such device or address" error:

If you run the vbox service with an unprivileged user you also must install the extension packs under this user, otherwise Vbox will not see it.

If you try to install the expansion as unprivileged user (like vbox):

su vbox -c "VBoxManage extpack install --replace Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.18.vbox-extpack"

and you get this:

The installer failed with exit code 127: Error creating textual authentication agent: Error opening current controlling terminal for the process (`/dev/tty'): No such device or address

Then install the extension as root with:

VBoxManage extpack install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.18.vbox-extpack

Then copy the installed files which go under the users home directory:

cp /root/.config/VirtualBox/* /home/vbox/.config/VirtualBox/
chown vbox:vbox -R /home/vbox/.config/VirtualBox/

Just because this site come up for hit 3, not because I'm a great fan of this arch distribution. Debian FTW!

#5 2015-03-19 14:37:39

ewaller
Administrator

windozupdate wrote:

Just because this site come up for hit 3, not because I'm a great fan of this arch distribution. Debian FTW!

Well, allow me to welcome you to Arch Linux anyway smile Mayhap we can convert you.

Thank you for the contribution and your post is relevant.  I hope the original poster is not still looking for an answer six years later, so I am going to consider your post to be the solution and will go ahead and close this thread.

Everyone: If conversation needs to continue, a new thread can be started -- the advantage being that the new thread will be owned by someone actively working the issue.  If appropriate, link back to this thread as a reference.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer