You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-08 23:07:46

Decesive

gdm.service masked

I'm nearly mad by this point (laughing at water).

I'm trying to get gdm to work for me, but it just doesn't want to let me, when I run systemctl enable gdm.service it goes with :

The unit files have no [Install] section. They are not meant to be enabled
using systemctl.
Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:
1) A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another unit's
   .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
2) A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which has
   a requirement dependency on it.
3) A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path, timer,
   D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...).

Which is really funny because there is not a single scrap of information on how to bypass this. Also when I run systemctl status gdm.service it gives me this :

gdm.service
   Loaded: masked (/usr/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service; masked)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Which is just as funny the previous command, because there is nothing, JUST NOTHING explaining what would masked mean. Another amazing thing is this:

display-manager.service    error  inactive dead      display-manager.service

and so I can't do anything with this, the status for it says:

display-manager.service
   Loaded: error (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Can someone please help me ? Please ?

#2 2013-06-08 23:11:51

karol
Archivist

Re: gdm.service masked

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/three- … f-off.html

systemd will recognize units symlinked to /dev/null and show them as masked.

#3 2013-06-08 23:13:52

WonderWoofy

This is very clearly explained in the man pages... so I have to call bull on your "not a single scrap of information on how to bypass this".

#4 2013-06-08 23:40:14

Decesive

OK, there was not a single scrap of information describing this on google, what is funny, it that I cheched the man pages and didn't find anything interesting ; /

Well, and out of my retardness after reading what that guy said here http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/three- … f-off.html I just deleted the file, and funny thing, it is not retrievable, awesome, well, thanks for your help, I'm going to reinstall my archlinux, and probably install KDE which is so painful on my eyes (literally).

#5 2013-06-08 23:43:03

karol
Archivist

Not sure what you mean by "not retrievable" - /usr/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service is provided by gdm.

#6 2013-06-09 01:02:45

hadrons123

Decesive wrote:

OK, there was not a single scrap of information describing this on google, what is funny, it that I cheched the man pages and didn't find anything interesting ; /

Well, and out of my retardness after reading what that guy said here http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/three- … f-off.html I just deleted the file, and funny thing, it is not retrievable, awesome, well, thanks for your help, I'm going to reinstall my archlinux, and probably install KDE which is so painful on my eyes (literally).

If you have removed ln file then you can restart gdm.service, which should restore the function.

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#7 2013-06-09 05:12:38

WonderWoofy

systemctl(1) wrote:

mask NAME...
           Mask one or more unit files, as specified on the command line. This will link these units to /dev/null, making it impossible to start them. This is a stronger version of
           disable, since it prohibits all kinds of activation of the unit, including manual activation. Use this option with care.

unmask NAME...
           Unmask one or more unit files, as specified on the command line. This will undo the effect of mask.

Systemd might be one of the best documented younger projects I have ever seen.  The issue tends to then be that there is an awful lot of docs to wade through.  Still masking with systemctl is no secret and Lennart's blog post linked to above was my very first hit when I searched for "systemd mask service".

#8 2013-07-14 13:18:27

Decesive

Hah, thanks for all the answers, from what I rememeber I just reinstalled arch linux and it seems to have worked ; ) And yes, I was wrong about lack of information, though all methods described didn't work for me, sorry that I didn't answer earlier, guess I'm just that kinda guy ; (

#9 2013-07-14 13:29:46

WonderWoofy

Decesive wrote:

Hah, thanks for all the answers, from what I rememeber I just reinstalled arch linux and it seems to have worked ; ) And yes, I was wrong about lack of information, though all methods described didn't work for me, sorry that I didn't answer earlier, guess I'm just that kinda guy ; (

You reinstalled because you had a masked service?!  You should really learn to work through your problems if you want to really learn anything about your system.  Reinstallation is not a solution.

I googled "systemd masked service" and this was the top hit.  Now, there may be some google result customization at play there, but my point is that it would not have been hard to find the information.  Actually that entire blog series by Lennart is a great wealth of information about some of the features of systemd.  It is a highly recommended read if you are going to continue to use Arch/systemd and want to successfully administer your own system.

Board footer