You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-13 16:20:22

pobudz
Website

cardctl: no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices

Well it's certainly not lying... I looked in /proc/devices... no mention of anything pcmcia-like.

Heres a bit of background... I recently lost my /usr partition... well... I've since done my best to recover it... took a while to extract every package in /var/cache/pacman/pkg... eventually I did get the folder recovered and at this time everything has been working beautifully, minus one thing.

PCMCIA shows no drivers installed... yet the pcmcia cards work just fine, but they have to be inserted at boot or they wont show up.

I've tried modprobing yenta and ds and such, I've tried building support into the kernel... just gave me some errors.

If you need output from logs, tell me which log. I'll tell ya, there isnt much to look at. I'm basically wondering if anyone knows the connection between losing the /usr folder and losing PCMCIA control.

If its out there, I'll sniff it

http://www.wifiscan.net/

#2 2005-12-13 16:51:30

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: cardctl: no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices

First off: are you using the testing repo?

In testing, the pcmcia stuff was replaced with raw modalias calls.  It uses the same principle as hwdetect.

Try enabling hwdetect on boot (remove hotplug and hwd from the MODULES array and add a setting "MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes" to the file) and *then* plug in your card - it's most likely you're missing some other random bus driver - as udev will not create appropriate devices if the proper modules aren't loaded.

#3 2005-12-13 16:59:42

pobudz
Website

nope, no testing repo...

Anything specific I need to do if, I'm not using testing repo, to use raw modalias calls?

i should add that hotplug and hwd were not in the modules array, but im not using mod_autoload... perhaps either way i go i might fix the problem?

#4 2005-12-13 17:06:05

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Yeah, the modalias thing might be in use in [current], not 100% sure.
Try setting MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes" in rc.conf and rebooting.

#5 2005-12-21 17:36:40

pobudz
Website

negative.

mod_autoload="yes" didnt result in any change... tried booting with card in  (which has always resulted in the card working) and plugging the card in after boot.

still getting no pcmcia driver loaded, card still not working on reinsertion

#6 2005-12-21 23:11:49

tomk
Forum Fellow

I think you need pcmciautils now - have you installed it?

Board footer