You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-18 15:29:49

alphaniner

Systemd: more nuanced automatic fs mounting

OOTB, local-fs.target will cause a drop to emergency mode if a filesystem [in fstab without noauto] can't be found, even if the problem fs is not necessary for the system to boot/function. I think this is highly ridiculous, so I came up with a way to make auto-mounting more nuanced. Anyway, below is an abridged account of my tinkering followed by my solution.

The first thing I tried was copying a mount file - we'll call it foo.mount - from /run/systemd/generator to /etc/systemd/system. I changed the line "Before=local-fs.target" to "Before=local-fs-opt.target". I also copied /usr/lib/s../s../local-fs.target to /etc/s../s../local-fs-opt.target and removed the "OnFailure" and "OnFailureIsolate" lines. I'm going to ignore the (now obvious) problem with this approach for the moment. Anyway, I rebooted and ran 'systemctl show foo.mount'. It was clear my static mount file was being used, but it was still "RequiredBy=local-fs.target". I assumed that was due to /run/s../g../local-fs.target.requires/ containing a reference to it, which I further assumed was caused by the fs being set to auto mount in fstab. So I changed the fstab entry to noauto.

Of course, I want it to be automounted. Now we're back to the obvious problem I alluded to earlier: the system has no reason to 'aim for' local-fs-opt.target. IOW it might as well not exist. So I found out what causes the system to 'aim for' local-fs.target, and concluded that was sysinit.target. So I copied /usr/lib/s../s../sysinit.target to /etc/s../s../ and added local-fs-opt.target to its "Wants" and "After" lines. I also created /etc/s../s../local-fs-opt.target.requires/ and created a symlink in it to /etc/s../s../foo.mount . It looks like things are working as planned. 'foo' is mounted when it's available, but if it's not the system continues to boot.

Obviously, a big problem is the amount of custom/static unit files, which will have to be checked for changes upon systemd updates. And of course there's a lot of manual intervention. Anyway, thoughts/criticism/tacos welcome. Thanks.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#2 2013-07-18 15:36:30

65kid

Re: Systemd: more nuanced automatic fs mounting

... or you could just add "nofail" to the mount options...

#3 2013-07-18 15:40:40

alphaniner

Doh, I had never heard of that option. I kind of expected there to be an existing solution, but I didn't expect it to be that simple or I would have asked first.

:'( for my wasted time...

Last edited by alphaniner (2013-07-18 15:41:34)

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#4 2013-07-18 15:42:59

65kid

yeah, this should be documented in the systemd-fstab-generator man page, but currently isn't (it's on systemd's TODO list however).

Last edited by 65kid (2013-07-18 15:43:21)

#5 2013-07-18 17:33:32

WonderWoofy

To me there do seem to be some valid reasons to use a native systemd mount unit rather than have it autogenerated by the systemd-fstab-generator.  But when you do that, you should comment the line in your fstab, because although the unit in /etc will take precedence, you will still have the unit potentially being pulled into a "WantedBy" situation like you noticed.

#6 2013-07-18 18:30:34

alphaniner

With default options, things are pulled into RequiredBy. Add nofail, and they're pulled into WantedBy. Add noauto, and they're not pulled in at all. At least that's what I saw.

Anyway, this was an interesting experience. Down with the haters; I love systemd.

-Lysander Spooner

Board footer