You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-26 01:45:07

MNKyDeth

Possible problem with XFCE4?

I have been using xfce4 desktop for some time now and never really had a problem with it. But after the last update of xfce4 on the Arch repos I have been experiencing random lockups of my desktop. The only thing I changed after that was the icons I was using for my buttons.

I decided to try Enlightenment because of the lockup issues and have not had any lockups for about a week now,but whenever I log into xfce4 it locks up almost straight away.

Is there possibly some error in the newest version of xfce4? I know there is not much info here for diagnosing my problem but any input is welcome. If you have a possible idea or anything or need more info let me know and I will gladly help as best I can. Enlightenment is running good so far so if it comes to it I will make it my main desktop instead.

TIA, MNKyDeth

#2 2004-01-26 02:48:08

sarah31
Website

Re: Possible problem with XFCE4?

i have been using xfce4 with no issues (except some minor plugin issues at the when it was first introduced into the current repo). perhaps it is a missing dependency issue somewhere.  are there any errors worth noting printed to console when you logout of xfce4 (that is if you are not initializing it with a graphical login manager)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-01-26 03:18:32

MNKyDeth

There is one about my display at 0:0 but I think it is cause of my terminating of xfce4. I am using an AMD A64 3000+ and I am possibly starting to wonder if this prob is power management related. As I am in xfce4 now, but if I walk away and the blank screen pops up it won't return me to the desktop when I move the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard.

The only problem with that though is I always disable all power management stuff cause it is pointless for me to use. But I am not sure why my screen would blank to the black screen and then lockup as it should be disabled.

I am jabbing at random stuff I know, none of my logs show anything worthwhile that can help me at theis moment that I can tell. There are no errors in the logs that I see anyway.

This could just very well be a problem with the 2.6.1 kernel and the A64 cpu's for all I know.

I am going to try some different nvidia drivers see if it helps.

#4 2004-01-26 03:28:09

sarah31
Website

maybe xfce4 has issues with 64bit chips (i realize that the amds are capable 32 bit instructions) ?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-01-26 03:48:33

MNKyDeth

Yeah, the A64's are 32bit and 64bit compatable. I tried Gentoo 64bit just to see the speed increase and it was significant. Only problem was that I am a big gamer on linux and my games would not install on the 64bit OS so I quickly came back.

Even with this 3000+ at stock speeds it is faster than my Barton AMD chip at 2600mhz. Wich really surprised me. And after trying the 64bit OS I was literally blown away at the speed, but I need my games.

Well, I let the screen blank out in Enlightenment to see if it would come back to the desktop and it did, so I will start learning "E" so I can use it better. But I do appreciate the help. smile

Just after I posted this message in xfce4 I finally got an error. It said:
The panel has crashed, trying to restart the panel.

Then I click ok, and it says the same thing but tells me to report the problem to xfce4@moongroup or something like that. I didn't memorize it though.

#6 2004-01-26 04:23:40

sarah31
Website

it may not be desireable but you could try recompiling the xfce4 packages.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2004-01-26 20:25:29

skparkes

I can confirm this error.  Xfce4 does not like amd64 chips.  I just got the 3000+, and Xfce4 does the random lockup thing he speaks of.

I think I'll go post something in the Xfce4 forums.

Thanks,

Isamoor

#8 2004-01-26 21:16:53

orelien
Forum Fellow
Website

Indeed, some incompatibilities issues have been raised last week on the xfce4-dev mailing list:
http://lunar-linux.org/pipermail/xfce4- … 09568.html
Some testing tarballs with fixes for x86_64 seem to be available...

Board footer