You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-20 06:31:11

tapia

[Solved] No backlight in Dell Studio XPS 13 (Nvidia)

Hi,
I hope someone can help me with this. Yesterday my screen started to go black. It happens when the screen turns off to save power, and when I move the mouse it turns on for less than a second and then I can't see anything. So I have to write my password without seeing much. Only if I put a lamp very close to the screen I can read.
I have tried "acpi_osi=Linux" and "acpi_backlight=vendor" but it doesn't work always... really strange. At first I thought it was fixed (after I used the acpi options ) but then it begun again. And now nothing seems to help. This is really annoying, I have to connect my laptop to an external screen to use it.
I'm using the "kernel-ck" and the proprietary nvidia drivers.
When it turns off, it stays always off. Even when I reboot. The whole time stays off until It works again.

I don't think it is a hardware problem, since it works sometimes and I see the screen flashing when I turn the computer on and also when I unlock the computer (I use gnome-shell). Does anybody has an idea of what I could do?

Thanks

Last edited by tapia (2013-07-20 16:58:05)

#2 2013-07-20 07:00:46

Aestus

Re: [Solved] No backlight in Dell Studio XPS 13 (Nvidia)

Does this problem ONLY occur after Arch begins loading?  I.e., is it also happening with the BIOS screen, or boot menu?  It sounds like a hardware problem... screens are really fairly simple, driver wise.  Can you try booting with a different distro, for example with a Ubuntu install cd, and see if the problem persists? As to its working sometimes and not others, hardware sometimes takes awhile to give out...  once saw a TV slowly turn bright orange over a few hours from a blow to the screen.

ifixit.com wrote:

"Backlight problem with Dell Studio 1536 Screen flickers on and off when the battery in ues and some times with the power cord in"

"I had a similar problem with my Studio 1535 and I lived with it for about 2 years as I couldn't find any solution. Installing Windows 7 on it reduced the frequency of the problem but eventually it did get worse and my screen just turned off. Dell replaced my screen when this happened and I haven't had any problem since. I think it was caused by some loose contact."

"I have a sort of similar problem...coming out of sleep or hiberante when I lift the screen it is very dark, I can just make out some data but barely, I need to move the screen panel back and forth to get the backlight to turn on. It must be a switch or connection in the screen mechanism. Does anybody have any experice going in and fidling with the connection mechanisms."

Similar?

Last edited by Aestus (2013-07-20 07:18:40)

#3 2013-07-20 16:41:38

tapia

Hi Aestus,
thanks for your reply. Yes, this is also happening in the BIOS. I've tried with the ubuntu live disc, but the problem persists. Maybe it is a hardware problem. I bought this computer back in 2009, so it is possible. If it is a loose contact, maybe I can fix it by myself.

#4 2013-07-20 16:45:46

Aestus

Yeah.  Dells tend to be easy to take apart, nice and logical.  Mark as solved?

#5 2013-07-20 16:53:06

tapia

Now it's working again... :S

#6 2013-07-20 16:56:30

tapia

Is the same as is happenning to this person: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 331AAO0axQ
He is using Windows, so it must be a hardware problem. I'll mark this as solved.
Thanks

Board footer