You are not logged in.

#3276 2013-07-17 05:31:03

Anoniem

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Newby here with ArchLinux. Always had Ubuntu/Linuxmint, decides to get over to the proper distro(s) like ArchLinux.
Have tried ArchBang before and now a clean setup with ArchLinux/SLiM/CInnamon -> great working! Still have a few
questions which I will ask at the forum smile.

#3277 2013-07-17 09:18:44

st@uffi

Hello

I'm Jerome (aka st@uffi) and I come from Switzerland (French part).

I'm a Linux user for a while and I've tried some other distribution like Debian or Fedora.
That was fun but now I want a distribution with wich I can learn a lot of things.
So I think that Archlinux will be the best way for that.

KISSes! ;-)

#3278 2013-07-17 10:52:16

Guybrush747

Hi!
Not extactly newbie in Arch, but newbie in this forum!
I tried Arch in an VM three or four years ago, had a mini netbook running arch for a while (until I gave it as a present to my mother, now it runs xubuntu [never window$, hehehe]) and now I'm struggling with new EFI's to make it boot with other systems in my new Asus laptop.
I hope to enjoy all the massive knowledge offered here and share the little bit I have!
Greetings from Spain!

#3279 2013-07-19 03:50:08

alphacrucis

Greetings from the South Seas. I have just signed up to the forum as I plan to replace my current Ubuntu 13.04 install with Arch. So far I have downloaded the install iso and written it to a USB stick and tested that it boots. I will see how I get on with the actual install process. No doubt I will have some questions to ask if I get stuck smile. I'll start the install over the weekend once I have backed up /home.

#3280 2013-07-19 04:00:14

Aestus

Hello, I suppose.  My goal in Linux: optimize until it dies.  Rinse, repeat.  Would like to see how much you can remove while remaining able to use Chromium/Firefox... within sanity.  Anyone have a list, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Aestus (2013-07-19 04:00:59)

#3281 2013-07-19 04:11:30

ewaller
Administrator

Aestus wrote:

...Anyone have a list, I would appreciate it.

Welcome.  Not a list, but a guess.  Core Arch System + Xorg server + some other X bits + Firefox and any dependencies it pulls in.
No Desktop environment, no Windows Manager.  Just copy a seed for .xinitrc from /etc/skel to a user's home directory and modify it to start firefox.  From a console login, run startx.  X should start and pull firefox in and run it full screen without a WM.

Last edited by ewaller (2013-07-19 04:12:07)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3282 2013-07-19 10:01:44

karol
Archivist

You can try busybox + Xvesa, but that's not really Arch anymore, more like slitaz :-)
IIRC Xvesa doesn't support widescreen resolutions and may have troubles displaying CJKV.

#3283 2013-07-19 18:05:04

ElegantMonkey

Hello people!

I'm Brazilian(and that's probably why my English is so bad...), 13 years old, I like Futurama(so bad it's ending... again) and the Simpsons.

I had already used Arch many times, and sooner or later I come back to it. This time I came back because... LMDE is almost freezed!

Bite my shiny metal ass!

#3284 2013-07-19 18:11:53

drcouzelis
Website

@ElegantMonkey

Welcome! Arch Linux is FACA NA BOTA.

#3285 2013-07-20 06:42:00

hoome

I'm new here and new in this wonderful system that is Arch and, i'm also have a bas english rsrs

So, Hello Everybody tongue

#3286 2013-07-20 06:47:23

ewaller
Administrator

hoome wrote:

I'm new here and new in this wonderful system that is Arch and, i'm also have a bas english rsrs

Nice Avatar.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3287 2013-07-20 07:40:02

hoome

ewaller wrote:
hoome wrote:

Nice Avatar.

Thanks,

Yours also awesome tongue

Nice to find someone else that's watch this show smile

#3288 2013-07-20 11:33:37

drcouzelis
Website

hoome wrote:

Here's my trick. When meeting someone for the first time:

"Hi, I'm David." shake hands

"I'm new person. How are you?"

...pause...

"So! Did you catch the recent episode of Doctor Who?"

There are two possible reactions to my question. One, they say "What?" and I say "It's not important", OR two, I have a new best friend. big_smile

#3289 2013-07-20 12:22:09

hoome

drcouzelis wrote:
hoome wrote:

Here's my trick. When meeting someone for the first time:

"Hi, I'm David." shake hands

"I'm new person. How are you?"

...pause...

"So! Did you catch the recent episode of Doctor Who?"

There are two possible reactions to my question. One, they say "What?" and I say "It's not important", OR two, I have a new best friend. big_smile

Nice, you have a new best friend big_smile

Last edited by hoome (2013-07-20 12:22:42)

#3290 2013-07-22 13:54:36

glenhawx
Website

I have an Arching headache...

...but seriously, I am a little out of my depth.

My journey to Linux was a gradual one. I touched on it at University but didn't really start using it until Ubuntu Edgy Eft. Since then I have been Ubuntuing, Mythbuntuing and a little bit of Androiding.
This year I bought myself a Nexus 7 (Ubuntu reference platform ;-) ) and discovered Play Magazines for the first time since I was a kid subscribing to MAD magazine I have subscribed to one, Linux Format. LXF helped me to discover the light-weight, bleeding-edge distro, Arch.

The final part of my story involves a netbook I purchased somewhat by accident last year. I had planned to pick up a Transformer Prime in Singapore while stopping-over on holiday (they had not been released in Australia at the time). Just my luck they were sold out so, needing a PC, I bought the cheapest netbook they had and used the hotel internet to install Ubuntu on it. I had suspicions then that I had made a poor choice but had no idea just how poor.
I had inadvertently purchased a... dun dun daahhhhhh... Cedar Trail netbook :-(

Ubuntu 12.04 was ok, 12.10 not too bad but even with "poulsbo" support Ubuntu 13.04 wasn't cutting it. Last week I downloaded Fedora and Arch liveCDs, Arch was more complicated but Fedora wouldn't boot.
I have the base installed, LXDE will now load on startx, I have a user with sudo abilities and I can connect to the internet using wifi-menu from the command line.

I'd have to say it is going well, it is very fast and not too difficult to work on (following wiki pages) but it does have its challenges; I will post more about these when I find the relevant forums. Suffice to say my current goals are:-
- Getting network manager to work (currently does not link to the hardware, all settings greyed out)
- Gaining access to my network shares (I assume setting up Samba and NFS)
- figuring out why I occasionally get the message "Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed" on boot
- figuring out why some applications fail to install via pacman (I cannot install "Evolution" or "imagemagick", they fail with a bunch of "failed retrieving file" messages

The fun is just beginning,
Glen

Last edited by glenhawx (2013-07-22 14:02:39)

#3291 2013-07-22 14:02:02

karol
Archivist

Welcome to the forums, glenhawx.
You can search for the error messages you're getting. Forums search isn't perfect, but e.g. googling 'site:bbs.archlinux.org failed retrieving file' should give you some hints.

Last edited by karol (2013-07-22 14:02:11)

#3292 2013-07-22 14:03:30

RobHaz

Hello there,
I'm Rob, i'm 14 years old and im now using Arch Linux 2 - 3 days, Its realy awesome and fast.
Bye wink

#3293 2013-07-22 14:11:03

glenhawx
Website

Yep, my google-fu isn't too bad. I just need the time to throw at it.

#3294 2013-07-22 14:13:02

glenhawx
Website

geez, I probably first tasted Linux before you were born and I'm still playing catch up! ;-)

#3295 2013-07-22 14:31:08

Arthad

Hello to everyone,
I've been using Arch for a couple of years now, I'm not a programmer nor an informatics expert, I use Linux for my everyday desktop activities.
I began using Linux for universty and then I just liked it and kept it that way. I've tried many distributions (Fedora, Mandriva, Suse, Sabayon, Zenwalk, Mageia and others) whith various degrees of success: the little I know I've learned from the internet.
I found Arch to be the more friendly distribution in explaining how to solve problems when they strike you, thanks to the wiki and the community, and I like it that way, much more than just having things work out of the box without knowing how they are made.
Bye!

#3296 2013-07-22 18:00:15

delparnel
Website

I'm going to be trying out Arch in the coming week or so in order to experience a new distro. I've used similar distros before (Gentoo), but I've heard a lot of good things about Arch.

I'm looking forward to trying it out.

//Dave

#3297 2013-07-23 00:41:39

bazmonkey

Arch World,

I'm back... thanks for not taking it personally when I went all Fedora on you for some silly reason last year.

...and when I went back to Debian for nostalgia.  It's hard to let go of 12-year habits.

I promise I'll stick around!!!

-Basil

#3298 2013-07-23 06:04:24

monkeyhacker
Website

Hello,
    My name is Brandon. I'm not new to Linux and have been on arch for about 4 months but I'm new to the forum so I'll explain a little about how I started into Linux.
    I first read about Linux when I got a new computer and googled what to do with old computers. I figured I might as well try it, Puppy linux was the first distro I tried on my laptop from 2006, then Lubuntu, Then I ended up installing Lubuntu and Ubuntu studio on my desktop which was a really big deal considering that I really didn't want to mess up my Win7 ultimate ed. installation.
    After a while I got really into bringing old computers back with linux and I got pretty good at it and decided to try something harder on an old laptop, I tried Arch back when the installer was still in ncurses I went through the whole process and after I installed all the components for x I missread the command startx in the wiki as start x (still feel stupid for that) and I got frustrated and gave up and installed Crunchbang instead. Later I tried Slackware on an older computer also and I fell in love with it and actually ended up installing it on my desktop over Lubuntu and Ubuntu studio. I actually got to where I seldom used windows and stayed in Slackware. The only problems were resolving dependencies, the bloat that came with the full install of Slackware, and the time it took installing from source. I figured I'd give Arch another go and installed it on my laptop and I fell in love all over again, I now run Arch with Ratpoison on my laptop and Arch with Gnome on my desktop, with Windows for flight sim purposes (I'm going to college to be a pilot), and Slackware 14 64bit and I'm thinking of wiping Slackware in favor of Arch as grub is pointing to Arch's init files under Slackware's menuentry or something (everytime it boots Slack at first but ends up at Arch's login really messed up).
TL;DR
I started with Ubuntu jumped to Slackware and ended at Arch.

Infinite Monkey Theorem: When applied to computers could mean that any average user could completely make something work on their own. Unfortunately ,given probability, they will invariably mess something up.

#3299 2013-07-23 16:49:51

sephrael

Hello everyone!
   A friend helped me start my Linux experience with Ubuntu a while back, and shortly after I decided to jump headfirst into Arch, around the release of netcfg 2.6.6. Challenges are fun, and this was no exception! I've made so many mistakes, but I've also learned so very much. Archlinux is phenomenal!

#3300 2013-07-23 20:57:06

Spine

Hello Arch community,

got the install running last night, looking forward to continuing the buildout and (eventually) contributing to the community.

Board footer