You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-23 10:21:19

Cube_Code

[SOLVED]Characters cut off from left of screen on install disk

After the Arch install disk drops me into the console, the left portion of the screen is cut off. I am assuming that it's a resolution issue. I am using a 1080p monitor plugged in via VGA (it's an old computer and doesn't support DVI). After a bit of research I figured that I could use the command:

vga=parameter

but, it appears that my resolution is unsupported and it's not recognized by the shell.

On the Troubleshooting boot problems section of the wiki it states that "If you are using an Intel video chipset and the screen goes blank during the boot process, the problem is likely an issue with Kernel Mode Setting." Although this is not my specific issue, I am using an Intel video chipset so I decided to give it a try; however, after rebooting and pressing e over the entry that I was trying to boot to, nothing happened (What is e supposed to do?). I then decided to try pressing tab and adding:

i915.modeset=0

to the string (maybe the wiki meant tab?).
And then, despite my problem having nothing to do with the boot process getting stuck:

acpi=off

This was, as expected, to no avail.

I also visited Forcing modes and EDID while looking for a way to just change it from the console. The problem is that the syntax description is vague and says to see my kernel log to determine my connector. I didn't know what it meant by kernel log and after looking it up on Google and it having no apparent link to explaining the syntax for a VGA connector I'm still at a loss.

Does anyone know how to use

video=<conn>:<xres>x<yres>[M][R][-<bpp>][@<refresh>][i][m][eDd]

for a 1080p LED monitor using VGA or have any other idea as to how I can fix this?

Last edited by Cube_Code (2013-07-23 11:14:40)

#2 2013-07-23 10:57:29

Cube_Code

Re: [SOLVED]Characters cut off from left of screen on install disk

I'm sorry. I am pretty sure this has nothing to do with Arch Linux as I just discovered that my boot menu on the motherboard is also cut off. The bios looks fine but I think that if it's getting cut off before the Arch disk even loads then I have some other bizarre problem.

#3 2013-07-23 11:14:24

Cube_Code

Re: [SOLVED]Characters cut off from left of screen on install disk

My Samsung monitor had a "child lock" on it preventing me from adjusting the image location. After figuring out how to turn it off I just moved the image. If a mod could just delete this thread that is completely unrelated to Arch Linux, that'd be great.

Board footer