You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-26 13:28:23

MNKyDeth

Creating optimized packages for my machine?

Well, I want to create x86-64 packages for my machine with Arch linux. I really enjoy pacman hence my decision.

Is there anything I need to do special for changing the optimization from i686 to x86-64? Or would a standard pkgbuild do this for me?

I read the documentation for making my own packages but I saw no way to change the optimizations that the package is built with. Does it rely on other files for the optimizations or is there a file I need to edit. I really have no clue as what I need to do exactly to make this happen.

The general build scripts seem pretty straight forward so I see no problem except for the optimization part. Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks. smile

#2 2004-01-26 14:13:46

contrasutra

Re: Creating optimized packages for my machine?

Edit your /etc/makepkg.conf and change the compiler FLAGS.

Easy.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#3 2004-01-26 18:10:50

dp
Website

theoretically you should be able to build them for PPC, right? ArchPowerPC? anyone want to propose this to apple? :-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2004-01-26 18:14:46

sarah31
Website

dp wrote:

theoretically you should be able to build them for PPC, right? ArchPowerPC? anyone want to propose this to apple? :-)

you would need a PPC first. then you would need another base linux installed then you could port  Arch. it would be alot of work for whoever endeavors in it....... it is not up to Apple to do it though and frankly, being a Mac user myself, i see no reason to port it because linux PPC users are very rare. i have no need for linux on my Mac.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-01-26 21:02:28

dp
Website

sarah31 wrote:

[...]you would need a PPC first.[...]

well, that's the only problem i have wink ... the hardware looks much nicer!! i would really like to have a white laptop instead of a black one (thinkpad -> good hardware, flexiview-screen, but black is somewhat uncool) --- but when i find a cheap powerbook (students do not have a lot of money wink ), i will definitely makeworld from arch-things --- this means actually: if i come to a powerbook of at least 800MHz, i will start a ArchPowerPC project, if Judd likes this idea of me using his pacman/makepkg to build an arch for PPC's

... but it may take at least time till may, because i have a lot of exams in next months :-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Board footer