You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-24 12:16:00

smsware
Website

[SOLVED] Can I install only some members of "base" package group?

I was asking if I e.g. choose to pick btrfs as my one and only file system, could I just ignore e2fsprogs, xfsprogs and other packages related to other file systems. Same with e.g. lvm2 and dm-crypt which are in "base" group and are not necessary used by me on some particular Arch installation. Then I read that I can remove them but it is assumed that I have them all for some other packages... so I deleted the question, sorry for that. Still, e.g. xfsprogs is a dependency of util-linux so I would end up with this package anyway... I bet it's similar to most of them.

Last edited by smsware (2013-07-24 12:25:26)

#2 2013-07-24 12:17:39

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] Can I install only some members of "base" package group?

#3 2013-07-24 12:18:19

smsware
Website

Yeah, just found it and edited my quetion, wanted to delete this topic...

#4 2013-07-24 12:18:41

opt1mus
Website

It's entirely possible to cherry pick only the necessary packages from base, and not the entire group. I and many others do it.

-- edit --

Well that's incredibly frustrating to see the original-poster delete the subtance of the post. Perhaps It's because I've missed my morning coffee, but this is downright rude.

-- edit --

I've moved strikes from my first sentence, as the question is back up, I'm a grouchy sod - thanks for putting the question back up, I know it's been asked and answered before, but some may happen across this post, unless it had found its way into file13.

Last edited by opt1mus (2013-07-24 12:37:53)

#5 2013-07-24 12:20:05

karol
Archivist

Don't do that, don't just remove your question. Leave the question, add the answer. If you really want to remove the thread, ask a moderator to do it - there's a 'Report' link in the lower right corner of every post.

I have only some of the packages from 'base' group installed and I'm fine.

#6 2013-07-24 12:27:18

smsware
Website

opt1mus wrote:

Well that's incredibly frustrating to see the original-poster delete the subtance of the post. Perhaps It's because I've missed my morning coffee, but this is downright rude.

I thought I was fast enough to delete it before anyone noticed. I was wrong, sorry - and thank you for the answer as you showed me that there actually are some packages that can be removed without problem. For the sake of me not trying to be rude, I rewrote the question and marked it as solved. smile

#7 2013-07-24 12:43:15

karol
Archivist

That worst that will happen, you will be prompted to install some package when building another one or running 'makepkg -s' will fail due to unresolved dependencies.
It's best to remove packages you're sure you don't need, like lvm2 or xfsprogs, but leave e.g. file https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?name=file

#8 2013-07-24 12:53:06

opt1mus
Website

smsware wrote:

I thought I was fast enough to delete it before anyone noticed. [...]

Yes some people here operate with a hair-trigger, karol managed to find the relevant link and post in a minute of the thread appearing.

There's a tangible pride within the community with keeping the forums useful, although you'd requested it be deleted it'd have been an empty thread, I did not intend to appear cantankerous.

Board footer