You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-22 17:18:19

desertViking

Cannot build NDISWRAPPER

Hi,

I upgraded my system about 10 days ago, about the time that the new kernel went from testing to current.  At the time, I didn't reboot, and ndiswrapper was fine.

Having some difficulties today so I rebooted the system.  Ndisrapper won't probe (invalid ndiswrapper.ko).  I've recompiled the tool several times, but always with the same result.

I went ahead and downloade 1.7 source, and that didn't help. 

In read in another thread that there was a mismatch between the kernel and the gcc compiler that was causing this difficulty.  I suppose that if I could connect to the network, I could pacman upgrade and make some progress.

Unfortunately, this is a wireless desktop system that does not have a hard wire access.  What I can do is download onto a USB device what I need and take it to the other computer.

I did this in fact with the ndiswrapper binaries in "extra".  I ran pacman -A to install the package from the local hard drive, but it did not install a .ko file into the kernel directory.

I'm at a loss as to where to go next.  Please, any advice you could offer would be welcome.

Regards,

desertViking

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#2 2005-12-23 17:24:54

desertViking

Re: Cannot build NDISWRAPPER

I solved this, but it was certainly a pain.  I ended up disconnecting the PC from its workstation location, and schelping it to a hardwire.  Ended up doing 2 out of 3 falls with the upgrade of xorg before I could continue.

I downgraded the gcc compiler to the one in current which matched the kernel, and I was able to build ndiswrapper and the nvidia drivers.

I do have one question, though.  I removed the compiler

pacman -R gcc

and commented out the testing repository, and used pacman to install gcc from current.  I then added the testing repository back in to pacman.conf.  Now, though, whenever I upgrade I must add

pacman -Syu --ignore gcc

to avoid picking up the mismatched compiler.

Is there a more appropriate method?

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

Board footer