You are not logged in.

#476 2013-07-24 15:17:45

bohoomil
Website

Re: infinality-bundle: good looking fonts made (even) easier

Thank you very much -- I always appreciate your support and good news you share with us. smile

Ladies and gentlemen, since keeping the new libraries only for myself would be the greatest dishonor, I updated the packages and included a few minor fixes of my own. From the CHANGELOG:

* changes to infinality-settings.sh:
** Xft hintstyle    => hintslight (this should fix
   kerning issues in a few cases)
** fringe filter    => 50

* changes to 37-repl-global.conf
** Courier rule can be commented out if using Adobe Courier T1
** Geneva TTF       => Noto Sans TTF
** Inconsolata TTF  => Inconsolata-zi4 T1 (TeXLive)
** proxima-nova TTF => Open Sans T1

* changes to 66-wine-aliases.conf
** SegoeUI          => Microsoft Sans Serif
   (due to recent issues with SegoeUI)

* minor changes to 90-non-tt-fonts.conf, 90-tt-fonts.conf,
  92-selective-rendering.conf

I'll soon add two packages to infinality-bundle-any repo: Open Sans T1 and Inconsolata-zi4 T1. I believe the switch to Type1 versions is going to improve your overall screen experience.

As a side note: the bundle has been proved to be working correctly in Debian/Ubuntu and a Puppy Linux spin-off, so the plague seems to be spreading successfully. smile

Thank you and enjoy!

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#477 2013-07-24 15:19:26

flipper T

No, thank you.

If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the [censored] car. -The Wolf

#478 2013-07-25 08:24:26

Ledti
Website

Wow, I'm not sure if it was the last update or the one before that but certain fonts have really improved. Especially bold fonts for random font families like those found in the google fonts package.

Great work bohoomil. smile

#479 2013-07-25 14:42:53

doug piston
Website

I agree with the above poster. I didn't think my fonts could look better but after the last update I was even more impressed. Thank you for the work.

Cheers.

#480 2013-07-25 16:10:06

WonderWoofy

I hope this doesn't get old, but I again want to thank you for another great set of infinality-bundle packages.  Everything looks amazing.  Honestly, I am really glad I don't have to learn all the ins and outs of fontconfig in order to have this level of quality.

Thanks again bohoomil!

#481 2013-07-25 16:18:23

cfr

I should also say that things are looking better even in Okular. I can't tell for sure if this happens to be the fonts in the particular PDFs I'm reading but if it is down to your hard work, you did a terrific job. Whether or no, thank you for all your work on this.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#482 2013-07-25 16:53:35

bohoomil
Website

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I am very happy that you like the update. Just to keep our emotions in balance, the server seems to be temporarily off-line, so in case you urgently need any package, please refer to the backup repo @ Dropbox. I am very sorry for the inconvenience: let's hope the issue will be resolved soon.

This is just a quick info regarding two font packages I promised to upload yesterday with a couple of obligatory screenshots presenting Inconsolata T1, 10px, in termite:

If you decide to install packages t1-inconsolata-zi4 and t1-opensans, they will replace ttf-inconsolata (or ttf-inconsolata-g and ttf-inconsolata-dz from the AUR; the powerline variants will be left intact) and ttf-opensans if any has been found in your system. I think that with this particular version of Inconsolata you should enjoy all the benefits of the font minus the glitches it has been notorious for. To use it, set the terminal font to inconsolata-zi4; just in case you have been using it outside your terminal as well, the updated fontconfig already includes relevant substitution instructions.

Open Sans Type1 behaves more correctly at all sizes and doesn't require most corrections needed by TrueType version, offering a 'cleaner' experience.

Thanks and have fun. smile

#483 2013-07-25 16:59:22

bslackr

I don't know if this is related to your packages or not, but for some reason Calibri doesn't show up at all in libreoffice. It shows up fine in Firefox and gnumeric, but not at all in libreoffice.

#484 2013-07-25 17:09:34

bohoomil
Website

This is a known issue with SegoeUI as well (it has been discussed in a separate thread). There's something fishy about the most recent LO and Microsoft font families, but as far as I can tell it has nothing to do with my packages and/or upstream freetype2/fontconfig libs. As a quick workaround, you can create a replacement pattern in your $HOME/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf, for instance:

<match target="pattern">
    <test name="family" compare="eq" target="default">
      <string>Calibri</string>
    </test>
    <edit name="family" mode="prepend" binding="same">
      <string>Open Sans</string>
    </edit>
  </match>
  <match target="font" >
    <test name="family" qual="any" >
      <string>Calibri</string>
    </test>
    <edit mode="assign" name="family" >
      <string>Open Sans</string>
    </edit>
  </match>

or, if you want to keep Calibri and still use it in other applications, set a replacement rule in LO settings. I guess the latter approach should be enough since the problem seems to affect LO exclusively.

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-07-25 17:12:51)

#485 2013-07-25 18:31:26

WonderWoofy

bohoomil wrote:

This is just a quick info regarding two font packages I promised to upload yesterday with a couple of obligatory screenshots presenting Inconsolata T1, 10px, in termite:

Termite?  I could have sworn your were a urxvt user.  Am I imagining things or have you switched?  I have been having issues with urxvtd crashing on me, so I have started to use termite as well... just for the past few days though.  We'll see if it sticks.

In any case, I modified my ttf-google-fonts-git package so that it would not conflict with the opensans and inconsolata packages you have provided.  They are wonderful.  Thanks.

#486 2013-07-25 19:18:01

bohoomil
Website

Not really: I still do most of my work in urxvt, which I love and am used to. However, when I was looking for a decent terminal emulator that would play nicely with fontconfig, I realized that termite may be just this one project I shouldn't miss. These days termite is a sort of my reference 'fontconfig-compatible' terminal I use mostly to test the font stuff.  And yes, besides that I think it's a very fine piece of software. smile

#487 2013-07-25 19:47:17

bslackr

bohoomil wrote:

This is a known issue with SegoeUI as well (it has been discussed in a separate thread). There's something fishy about the most recent LO and Microsoft font families, but as far as I can tell it has nothing to do with my packages and/or upstream freetype2/fontconfig libs. As a quick workaround, you can create a replacement pattern in your $HOME/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf, for instance:

or, if you want to keep Calibri and still use it in other applications, set a replacement rule in LO settings. I guess the latter approach should be enough since the problem seems to affect LO exclusively.

Thanks for the explanation and the fix.

#488 2013-07-26 21:16:09

georgelappies

No matter what I try I keep on getting key errors sad

acman -Syu
error: infinality-bundle: key "AE6866C7962DDE58" is unknown
error: key "AE6866C7962DDE58" could not be looked up remotely
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 infinality-bundle is up to date
error: database 'infinality-bundle' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))

How can I resolve this?

#489 2013-07-26 21:20:44

karol
Archivist

Just to be sure, you did follow https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1263503 , right?

#490 2013-07-26 22:00:54

georgelappies

karol wrote:

Just to be sure, you did follow https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1263503 , right?

Thanks, issue is resolved now smile

#491 2013-07-28 04:50:53

Perfect Gentleman

solved

Last edited by Perfect Gentleman (2013-07-28 06:05:56)

#492 2013-07-28 06:27:31

bohoomil
Website

So, not relevant anymore, but since I've already installed the app and all its dependencies, here we go with a shot: click.

#493 2013-07-28 06:32:07

WonderWoofy

Perfect Gentleman wrote:

solved

Even though this is not a support thread for your problem in particular, this is really not cool.  You should have left that post in place, then provided either an edit how you fixed it, or a new post explaining it.

#494 2013-07-28 10:09:52

Perfect Gentleman

bohoomil & WonderWoofy, at first I thought the problem was in infinality-bundle-multilib, but then, after several iterations, I found out that the problem was in following: I disabled ipv6 in grub. I don't know why but without ipv6, cuetools doesn't want to make verifications and connect to accuraterip database, and give that error. Now infinality-bundle is installed again, and cuetools works.

#495 2013-07-30 14:32:17

redDEADresolve

tumas wrote:
nasedo wrote:
rutgerr wrote:

Any changes in sig or i missed the update.

roger@slayerarch ~ % yaourt -Syua
error: infinality-bundle-multilib: signature from "bohoomil (dev key) <bohoomil@zoho.com>" is invalid
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
 repo-ck is up to date
 infinality-bundle-multilib is up to date
 infinality-bundle is up to date
 heftig is up to date
error: database 'infinality-bundle-multilib' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))

I keep having the same error, not all the time but often. I think it started this week.

Still getting the same error whenever i run pacman -Syu....

error: infinality-bundle: signature from "bohoomil (dev key) <bohoomil@zoho.com>" is invalid
error: infinality-bundle-multilib: signature from "bohoomil (dev key) <bohoomil@zoho.com>" is invalid
error: database 'infinality-bundle' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))
error: database 'infinality-bundle-multilib' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))

How did you fix this error? I keep getting it and it wont let me update my system

Mine so States:

Last edited by redDEADresolve (2013-07-30 14:33:23)

#496 2013-07-30 14:35:16

karol
Archivist

Have you setup the repo and signatures properly https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1263503 ?

#497 2013-07-30 14:40:48

redDEADresolve

karol wrote:

Have you setup the repo and signatures properly https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1263503 ?

Yes I followed those directions when I setup the repos. I redid them before posting.

It worked fine for about a month or so.

#498 2013-07-30 14:48:05

WonderWoofy

It continues to work fine for me... maybe you should either force a resync of the databases "-Syy" or remove the offending files from /var/lib/pacman/sync then re-'-Sy'.

#499 2013-07-30 14:52:14

redDEADresolve

WonderWoofy wrote:

It continues to work fine for me... maybe you should either force a resync of the databases "-Syy" or remove the offending files from /var/lib/pacman/sync then re-'-Sy'.

pacman -Syy fixed it

thank you for the quick reply, can't believe I didn't think of it.

#500 2013-07-30 14:53:30

WonderWoofy

Soemtimes the simplest, most obvious things can be the hardest to remember in times of frusturation...

Glad it is working for you now.  Yay bohoomil fonts!

Board footer