You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-25 11:26:48

iandun

[SOLVED] Mouse Acting Up When Using Cinnamon In Non-Root Accounts

I have recently installed Arch linux on my computer, alongside Ubuntu and Windows. I installed cinnamon and xorg from the official repositories, and was happy with the experience. However, I wanted to transition from a root account to a normal user account, because certain software (e.g. Chrome) refuses to run under root. So, I created my user, home directory, and password, and was able to login. I copied my .xinitrc from my root home directory to my normal user accounts' home directory. The contents were this:

exec gnome-session-cinnamon

So, I type startx on the command line, expect everything to work normally, and I find that my mouse is not working properly:

1. I am unable to drag windows around
2. Applications with a scroll bar automatically scroll down to the bottom of page, and you can't scroll back up again
3. I cannot click anything on the sidebar of the cinnamon menu (which contains things like logoff and shutdown, so I had to kill the x server)

However, when logged in on root, none of this happens. At first, I thought this problem was due to me using a display manager (I used gdm and slim). This, however, is not the case. There isn't much out there on the internet for the problem I have, and I assume that this doesn't happen very often. What I did find, however, was to install the following packages:

sudo pacman -S xf86-input-evdev
sudo pacman -S xf86-input-mouse

The problem was still not fixed. I do not have an xorg.conf, but I do have a 50-vmmouse.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d (I don't know if that's helpful, though):

Section "InputClass"
    Identifier    "vmmouse"
    MatchIsPointer    "on"
    MatchTag    "vmmouse"
    Driver        "vmmouse"
EndSection

Edit: I have a (I think) slightly more useful file: 10-evdev.conf in the same directory:

#
# Catch-all evdev loader for udev-based systems
# We don't simply match on any device since that also adds accelerometers
# and other devices that we don't really want to use. The list below
# matches everything but joysticks.

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev pointer catchall"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev touchpad catchall"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev tablet catchall"
        MatchIsTablet "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev touchscreen catchall"
        MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Last edited by iandun (2013-07-26 13:42:05)

#2 2013-07-26 13:41:16

iandun

Re: [SOLVED] Mouse Acting Up When Using Cinnamon In Non-Root Accounts

I have fixed it! After my mouse started automatically moving to the left side of the screen, even when logged in as root, I thought I would have to go back to Ubuntu, but I was able to read another forum thread about someone who was having the same issue (about the mouse moving left), and said that when he unplugged his joystick, everything worked. I realized that I had a joystick, so I unplugged mine and now everything is working like a charm!

#3 2013-07-27 08:34:45

Convergence

Re: [SOLVED] Mouse Acting Up When Using Cinnamon In Non-Root Accounts

I'm glad you resolved this problem.  I'm also glad (and surprised) that Google had the good sense to keep chrome from running as root. 

Welcome to Arch!  Please try not to run root unless you need to, and never run any X programs as root.

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

Board footer