You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-27 11:54:33

orschiro
Website

[solved] Light GTK alternative to GIMP

Hello,

Which applications would you consider as light but still comparable to GIMP?

I looked into the wiki and there seem to be a variety of them out there based on QT but far less based on GTK which are actively developed.

I just tried xpaint but it takes a lot getting used to with regards to usability.

For me a good alternative must allow for basic image editing such as cutting, adding shapes, changing size...

On Windows for these things I used to have Paint.NET. Although there is Pinta which comes very close to Paint.NET it uses Mono which again is not light either.

What do you use for basic image editing?

Last edited by orschiro (2013-10-22 05:33:35)

#2 2013-07-27 12:29:46

progandy

Re: [solved] Light GTK alternative to GIMP

On Windows for these things I used to have Paint.NET. Although there is Pinta which comes very close to Paint.NET it uses Mono which again is not light either.

Pinta is the same as Paint.NET in this case. one uses mono, the other .net. The only difference is that in windows, .net is now a part of the default installation. In Linux mono still is separate.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2013-07-27 12:29:53

sas

What do you mean by "light"?
Is Gimp in your opinion using too much RAM, or starting up too slowly, or requiring too many dependencies, or has a too bloated user interface, or in what way is it not light enough?

PS: There's an AUR package called gimp-devel-light that compiles a bare-bones version of Gimp with many optional features excluded, thus requiring fewer dependencies and probably also less RAM & startup time (though I haven't tested). Is that along the lines of what you're looking for?

PS: Have you gone through the list of graphics editors on the wiki? (Also, if you end up finding an alternative that is not listed there, be sure to add it!)

Last edited by sas (2013-07-27 12:42:57)

#4 2013-07-27 13:09:48

lolilolicon

For situations where interactive editing is not needed, you can use the CLI imagemagick/graphicsmagick for mass image processing.

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#5 2013-07-27 18:42:36

drcouzelis
Website

orschiro wrote:

Although there is Pinta which comes very close to Paint.NET it uses Mono which again is not light either.

I use Pinta. It starts up WAAAY faster than the GIMP.

I only started using Pinta recently, once I finally overcame my "OH NO I just CAN'T install a piece of software (Mono) to use ANOTHER good piece of software!" problem.

If Pinta works and does what you want then use Pinta.

#6 2013-07-28 16:55:13

orschiro
Website

Thanks for all your responses.

What do you mean by "light"?
Is Gimp in your opinion using too much RAM, or starting up too slowly, or requiring too many dependencies, or has a too bloated user interface, or in what way is it not light enough?

I would say a combination from all of these. It takes a while to start, the user interface is bloated and confusing. Most of the function of GIMP I have never used.

PS: There's an AUR package called gimp-devel-light that compiles a bare-bones version of Gimp with many optional features excluded, thus requiring fewer dependencies and probably also less RAM & startup time (though I haven't tested). Is that along the lines of what you're looking for?

I built it but could not note any subjective difference in speed and usability. It did not feel lighter in any perspective.

PS: Have you gone through the list of graphics editors on the wiki? (Also, if you end up finding an alternative that is not listed there, be sure to add it!)

Yes as mentioned in my initial post.

For situations where interactive editing is not needed, you can use the CLI imagemagick/graphicsmagick for mass image processing.

Thanks but I am explicitly looking for interactive editing.

I use Pinta. It starts up WAAAY faster than the GIMP.
I only started using Pinta recently, once I finally overcame my "OH NO I just CAN'T install a piece of software (Mono) to use ANOTHER good piece of software!" problem.
If Pinta works and does what you want then use Pinta.

[orschiro@thinkpad ~]$ sudo pacman -S pinta
[sudo] password for orschiro: 
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (5): gtk-sharp-2-2.12.11-1  libgdiplus-2.10-4  mono-3.0.7-1
              mono-addins-0.6.2-3  pinta-1.4-1

Total Download Size:    47,17 MiB
Total Installed Size:   192,88 MiB

Sorry, but this is what I would definitely consider 'heavy'.

Unfortunately for now I could not find any adequate alternative...

#7 2013-07-28 18:08:10

mrunion
Website

@orschiro: I believe you cannot find something that meets your requirements. Image editing -- by nature -- requires a lot of "processing", so you're not gonna find a "pamphlet"-sized coverage of that "book"-sized subject matter.

And in my opinion, refusing something because it depends on Mono, but comparing it to the "Windows equivalent" as the acceptable solution doesn't make sense to me.

My $0.02 only.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#8 2013-07-28 19:45:51

sas

mrunion wrote:

I believe you cannot find something that meets your requirements. Image editing -- by nature -- requires a lot of "processing"

Well, it is possible for an interactive graphics editing program to be simpler and smaller than GIMP.

For example KDE has KolourPaint, which starts up quickly and has a very simple interface reminiscent of Microsoft Paint. Feature-wise it's more powerful than MS Paint, but less powerful than GIMP.

If an application similar to it (but based on plain GTK rather than Qt+KDE) exists, and there is no reason why it can't, then that might meet the OP's requirements.

#9 2013-07-28 20:41:00

progandy

You might be interested in mypaint. On my laptop it requires ~6sec while GIMP starts in ~14sec
Edit: I just saw that it does not support resizing and predefined forms I think.

size comparison with all dependencies:

$ package-query -Qf "%3" $(pactree -u mypaint | cut -d\  -f1) | tr \\n + | cat <<<0 | calc -p
$ package-query -Qf "%3" $(pactree -u gimp | cut -d\  -f1) | tr \\n + | cat <<<0 | calc -p  

Last edited by progandy (2013-07-28 20:57:38)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#10 2013-07-28 21:25:13

drcouzelis
Website

orschiro wrote:

You don't have to apologize to me. If you don't want to use an outstanding piece of open source software because you can't spare HUNDREDS of MEGABYTES of hard drive space, it's your loss.

progandy wrote:

You might be interested in mypaint.

MyPaint is an AMAZING piece of software, but it is extremely tailored to digital artists. I mean, like, drawing with a pencil artists. It's missing many feature that I personally look for in image editing software.

Man, MyPaint makes me want to be a digital artist JUST so I can use it, it's THAT nice. tongue

#11 2013-07-29 02:23:26

Pse

So on Windows you used Paint.NET, that depends on the .NET framework (i.e. heavy), but you won't use Pinta because it depends on Mono?

Just in case, I just checked the size of gtk3 on my system:

Installed Size : 58183.00 KiB

That's not what you would call light, I guess. And that does not even take into account its dependencies:

atk  cairo  gtk-update-icon-cache  libcups  libxcursor
libxinerama  libxrandr  libxi  libxcomposite  libxdamage
pango  shared-mime-info  colord  at-spi2-atk  wayland
libxkbcommon

#12 2013-07-29 06:53:22

Rasi
Website

orschiro wrote:
[orschiro@thinkpad ~]$ sudo pacman -S pinta
[sudo] password for orschiro: 
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (5): gtk-sharp-2-2.12.11-1  libgdiplus-2.10-4  mono-3.0.7-1
              mono-addins-0.6.2-3  pinta-1.4-1

Total Download Size:    47,17 MiB
Total Installed Size:   192,88 MiB

Unfortunately for now I could not find any adequate alternative...

Sorry, but none of these are bloated dependencies. its an interpreter for a programming language with the appropriate bindings for gtk. If you are against such things, fine: But please uninstall python + all apps depending on it.

Packages (4): pygtk-2.24.0-3  python-3.3.2-1  python-gobject-3.8.3-1  python2-2.7.5-1

Total Download Size:    24,29 MiB
Total Installed Size:   165,77 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0,00 MiB

*edit*
don't get me wrong, there are reasons against mono. But calling it bloated, because it needs to install a runtime + its bindings is just plain wrong.

Last edited by Rasi (2013-07-29 07:52:59)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#13 2013-07-29 10:56:59

arokh

Pinta is 2.38 MiB installed. Are you looking for a console version outputting direct to KMS framebuffer or what?

#14 2013-07-30 00:20:54

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

arokh wrote:

Pinta is 2.38 MiB installed. Are you looking for a console version outputting direct to KMS framebuffer or what?

Did you even read the conversation. They're discussing dependencies.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#15 2013-10-03 18:57:06

totolotto

I was looking for an alternative too and for me he answer is mtPaint. Small, few dependencies and knows everything I need.

#16 2013-10-22 05:33:16

orschiro
Website

@totolotto

Thank you for suggesting mtPaint!

The longer I work with it the more I start to like it. It is small in resource consumption, light in terms of dependencies and rich in features. I now barely have to open GIMP. smile

And for even smaller tasks - such as conversions - I now simply use ImageMagick.

Board footer