You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-28 02:51:14

nonis

[Solved -- sorta] Push conky border off left/right side of screen?

Is there a way I can push the border of conky off the left and right of my screen?

I run tint2 at the bottom of my screen. It's all grey with a 3px blue border, but I offset the panel 3px down and make it 6px wider than my screen so the bottom, left, and right borders go offscreen and I'm left with a grey panel with a 3px blue line across the top.

I'd like my conky to look like the opposite: a grey bar across the top of the screen with a 3px blue line across the bottom of it. However, the closest I can get is getting rid of the top-border, while keeping the left- and right-borders.

With this, I get the desired result by removing the top border (for some reason conky starts pretty far off the top of my screen, so gap_y actually just pushes it down enough so the border doesn't fit on screen) and removing the left border (by pushing it off using gap_x), but I can't get rid of the right border. Using this conkyrc, I have a 3px border on the right, then 3px of background (no conky). Conky won't let me widen the bar past 1366 (my screen's horizontal resolution), so I'm not sure I can get the desired result by using gap_x.

Alternatively, is there a way I can use no border, but just draw my own 3px line across the bottom of the window?

EDIT: Removed conkyrc from this post and added an updated version to my post below with screenshots to avoid confusion.

Last edited by nonis (2013-07-29 00:06:08)

#2 2013-07-28 06:01:06

Stebalien
Website

Re: [Solved -- sorta] Push conky border off left/right side of screen?

You can use $hr to draw a line but that might look funny.

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#3 2013-07-28 10:44:38

t0m5k1

If you push the borders offscreen why draw them?

refer to this for full settings list: http://conky.sourceforge.net/config_settings.html

refer to this for full variables: http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html

ROG Strix (GD30CI) - Intel Core i5-7400 CPU - 32Gb 2400Mhz - GTX1070 8GB - AwesomeWM (occasionally XFCE, i3)

If everything in life was easy, we would learn nothing!
Linux User: 401820  Steam-HearThis.at-Last FM-Reddit

#4 2013-07-28 17:42:47

nonis

t0m5k1 wrote:

If you push the borders offscreen why draw them?

refer to this for full settings list: http://conky.sourceforge.net/config_settings.html

refer to this for full variables: http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html

Like I said, it's just a way to get a 3px line across the bottom. Like using the css property border-bottom in a webpage to only get a line across the bottom with no border on the top, left, or right.

Here's an imgur gallery with the closest setups I've gotten. The bottom of my screen, shown in the first pic, is my tint2 bar which looks exactly how I'd like. The top, shown in the next two pics, is my conky, which I'd like to look like a flipped version of my tint2 bar. As you can see, if I turn the border on, it looks good on the top and the right side, where I've offset it to push the border off screen.

The hr object doesn't work quite right because it leaves some of the dark blue below the line.

http://imgur.com/a/u04j9

This is the conkyrc right now:

background yes
use_xft yes
xftfont Terminus:size=8
xftalpha 1
update_interval 1
total_run_times 0
own_window yes
own_window_transparent no
own_window_type normal 
own_window_hints undecorated,above,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
own_window_colour 002b36
double_buffer yes
draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders yes
border_width 4
draw_graph_borders no
default_color 2aa198
alignment top_middle
#maximum_width 1374
minimum_size 1366
gap_x 0
gap_y 3
no_buffers yes
uppercase no
cpu_avg_samples 2
override_utf8_locale no
color1 eee8d5
color2 cb4b16

##############################################
#  Output
##############################################

TEXT
  ${color1}processor i${color} ${color2}${cpubar cpu1 7,90}${color}\
  ${color1}processor ii${color} ${color2}${cpubar cpu2 7,90}${color}\
  ${color1}memory${color} ${color2}${membar 7,90}${color}\

#5 2013-07-28 18:29:27

nonis

Setting own_window_type to 'desktop' or 'override' fixes the alignment issues, but each has it's own caveat. own_window_type 'desktop' doesn't get a shadow from compton, and both of them are always on bottom even if I set own_window_hints to have 'above' in it.

#6 2013-07-29 00:08:24

nonis

I ended up just using own_window_type override. It gets a shadow from compton, and it allows me to hide the side and top borders. Only bad thing is that windows don't go under it, but that's no big deal. I just set openbox to have a margin at the top of the screen and stuff and it looks pretty rad.

Board footer