You are not logged in.

#3301 2013-07-23 21:59:27

at0m5k
Website

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi all smile

I've been using Arch and reading the forums for over a year now and finally got around to joining!

#3302 2013-07-24 18:14:34

boraalper4
Website

Hello everyone!

I'm Bora, I come from Turkey (Istanbul) and i'm 16.

I'm using Arch Linux because it just works (after some configuration :D) and i love rolling distros. Arch has a really powerful&active community, and i want to be a part of it.

#3303 2013-07-25 13:40:59

kfrazier
Website

Greetings...again.  I have been away from the Linux world for the last 19 months. Other hobbies and work have been taking all my time. I just recently found my ASUS netbook in storage and upon booting discovered there was no OS on it.  Spending the last few days trying to figure out what happened, I remembered that I was doing an install and had just finished partitioning the disk when I was interrupted. Apparently I never went back and finished the install. 

It appears a lot has changed since I last ventured in Arch land... systemd has replaced sysVinit, and I don't remember having heard of GPT or syslinux.  I was going to install last night, but after a very quick and cursory read of the Beginner's Guide I decided that with all the apparent changes I'm a "beginner" again. I'll be spending some time lurking and searching past threads to look for answers to questions I now have. I'm looking forward to getting Arch up and running on my netbook in the near future.

Kent

#3304 2013-07-25 18:08:48

Matto80

Hi everyone!
I'm Matt. Pretty new to Linux but over the past few months I've been learning a lot about UNIX-like machines through OSX terminal and various Linux distros.
Currently I'm running Ubuntu on a drive in my desktop and crunchbang dual-booted with OSX on my laptop.
I'm now working on installing Arch on my laptop as well. Quite excited about this because I only found crunchbang because I was having trouble previously trying to install Arch (don't get me wrong though I thing #! is great).
Anyway hello again, looking forward to getting to know some of you!

Matt

#3305 2013-07-25 21:42:07

VanillaFunk
Website

@ Matto80

yea give it time and youll migrate from dual booting (random linux distro) and osx to being a diehard arch fan!!!

archx86_64 : awesomewm
https://github.com/dreemsoul

Remeber to feed the squirrels

#3306 2013-07-25 23:16:57

china

Hiya! I've finally gotten around to registering an account here. I've had Arch installed on various laptops for about 10 months now, and am still very much in love. Right now, my main laptop has succumbed to a broken LCD inverter, so I'm mainly using an Asus EeePC 900 for your every-day browsing. It's not the most powerful thing out there, but that's what I find the most interesting about it, trying to keep and maintain a minimal system whilst it still harbors the functionalities that I wish for. I'm looking forward to contributing to the community in whatever way I can.

#3307 2013-07-26 11:51:44

hsul

Hi everybody!
I'm Tim and I'm 15 years old and I'm from germany.
(That's why my english sucks smile )

I'm running Arch since a while tongue

I love the KISS-Philosophy behing Arch and the Rolling-Release-Model.
In combination with the awesome-wm Arch ist just unbreakable.

Usually I'm called lush but the name is already awarded..

cheers.

Last edited by hsul (2013-07-26 11:52:12)

#3308 2013-07-26 14:27:10

ewaller
Administrator

hsul wrote:

Hi everybody!
I'm Tim and I'm 15 years old and I'm from germany.
(That's why my english sucks smile )

Welcome to Arch.  Your English is fine.

Usually I'm called lush but the name is already awarded..

Probably for the better (especially a minor).  In American English, 'Lush" is slang
for a drunkard.  smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3309 2013-07-26 23:16:30

DevPug

Hi all! I'm the Deviant Pug, and I just got everything up and running today, after a marathon three days of research. I've been a hobby Linux user for a few years now -- until I finally gave up on Ubuntu and their hideously slow "update manager" with seemingly thousands of ridiculous updates every day. Unity was equally slow on my poor netbook. NEVER AGAIN! I'm very much enjoying SLiM and xfce4.

So, I'm not a computer science major. I'm a musician. It took me 12 hours to install Arch all by myself, and I think I nearly cried, but here I am. It's not perfect yet, but now I know it will be... Eventually. When I build it right.

#3310 2013-07-27 00:33:11

piBendik

Yo. I'm in high school in scandinavia, and I like how powerful arch can be. And also, I guess, how powerful it makes me feel. Dad has allways pushed Linux/GNU on me, and when I finally broke free, and installed my own distro, independent of him, it was puppy, and when that crashed on me (or when I made it crash), I went over to arch (finally! I've wanted to do so for years , but never really had enough courage).
Arch is the fastest and best option for my tiny little miniature-computer, and great fun.

Last edited by piBendik (2013-07-27 01:12:41)

#3311 2013-07-27 06:33:11

x33a
Forum Fellow

piBendik wrote:

Dad has allways pushed Linux/GNU on me

That's a new one. Stallman would be proud.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

#3312 2013-07-27 09:59:39

hsul

ewaller wrote:

Welcome to Arch.  Your English is fine.

Thank you.

ewaller wrote:

Probably for the better (especially a minor).  In American English, 'Lush" is slang
for a drunkard.  smile

*rofl*
That's really funny big_smile
I never thought that "lush" has a deeper sense.
But I like it's meaning..

#3313 2013-07-27 17:08:13

grandtheftjiujitsu

Hello fellow ARCHers,

I made the switch to Linux about a year ago from Windows7 to Ubuntu, then to Mint.  I stuck with Mint for a couple versions, then switched to Antergos (formerly Cinnarch) to get my feet wet in the Arch world.  Just recently I took the plunge so to speak and attempted to "graduate to Arch."  Graduation successful!  Glad to be here and be part of the community.

#3314 2013-07-27 22:38:38

Gregosky

Hi All,

I'm arch user for last 5 years. Arch only since 2010 (before that dual boot). User of this forum for a long time too - as a guest. Joining now so can ask/answer questions.

Cheers!

#3315 2013-07-28 01:24:04

thisMoment

Test post, please ignore.

#3316 2013-07-28 17:48:15

thechancellor

Hello,

I've been on Arch for a few months or so, and thought I'd finally join so I can post questions.

smile

#3317 2013-07-29 04:23:16

quequotion
Website

Hello everyone!

Maybe we've met in other forums smile I often make use of your wiki and discussions in resolving issues related to another distribution, but I am seriously considering migration to Arch.

#3318 2013-07-29 04:47:54

WonderWoofy

quequotion wrote:

...but I am seriously considering migration to Arch.

If you're willing to truly maintain your system, using Arch can be highly rewarding, and incredibly interesting.  I have loved my time with Arch Linux.

#3319 2013-07-29 07:10:35

Walter White

Hello Arch community. Having heard so many great things about this wonderful distro and having read through the documentation, I saw this as an incredible learning opportunity. I've installed Arch on a VM and I'm enjoying the user experience. With that said, I am working on installing Arch on an older PC and will eventually migrate to it on all my PC's. I hope to learn as much as possible in order to contribute to this knowledgeable community, but until then I'd appreciate it if ya'll could help out a noob.

*raises glass* Here's to a long, frustrating, yet rewarding journey. To Arch!

#3320 2013-07-29 15:23:07

ajdunevent

Greetings Arch Linux community,

Oddly enough, my foray into GNU/Linux started because I was tired of Windows and had always liked Mac OS X.  Back in the day, getting OS X to install on non-Mac hardware meant using an Ubuntu LiveCD.  As I became more comfortable with operating system installation and partition management, I ventured out more and more.  I'm pretty sure I had 7 entries in my GRUB at one point. Anyway, I couldn't help but find myself in love with the flexibility, security, philosophy, and simplicity of GNU/Linux.  I started with an early (pre-Unity) version of Ubuntu and, while I would occasionally do some distro hopping, tended to stick with it.  By the time Unity became the default for Ubuntu, I had grown tired of the 6 month update cycle and had migrated over to Debian/Sid.  Even that wasn't enough.  The slow releases, package freezes, and unnecessary dependencies drove me into the loving, fully customizable, rolling-release arms of Arch Linux.  I've probably only been with Arch Linux for 7 months or so, but I'm hooked.

And that's my story.  Thanks for being there, guys, and keep up the great work.

#3321 2013-07-30 08:58:45

tan-ce
Website

Hi all!

My first serious experience with Linux was Slackware, then I switched to Ubuntu a year later. Last version of Ubuntu I touched was 12.10, as I was starting to get suspicious of where Ubuntu was heading. So two days ago I bootstrapped Arch from my Lubuntu install, and here I am. Feels good to be back on the bleeding edge, and being able to choose again exactly what goes on the system is a refreshing change. (I tried to remove plymouth from Ubuntu once. Apt wanted to remove the whole house with the kitchen sink...) Also, getting familiar with a system besides Debian/Ubuntu is probably going to be educational and helpful for me.

#3322 2013-07-31 09:07:07

humpfbold

Hi fellow ARCHers,
I've been sing linux for a few years now. Starting with *buntu based systems. As I went on and learned to value cli applications I found myself allways looking at the Arch Wiki or the Forums.
I installed Arch in a Virtualbox and found it fascinating. Now I have done the switch on my laptop and I am loving the experience.
I hope I can contribute back to the community because it has helped me alot during my Linux adventures.

#3323 2013-08-01 12:13:03

jacobgrevald
Website

Hello there!

I guess you should post here, to humbly admit that you are a noob.. It's a good way to get accepted in new communities!

I've been using arch for about 6 months, both on my laptop and my home server which is running a mail server, a web server, dns, etc. I really like arch, so I decided to have a go at joining the community and contributing to the distro. I've experimented with a few easy PKGBUILDS on AUR, and I'm starting to follow the forums and correct and expand the wiki as I go.

I have yet to file my first bug report, since this fantastic community have often already solved the problems I encounter, and usualy it's my fault smile

Actually, I use parabola, but for most cases I still consider my self to be an acrh user... Does anyone have a different view?

#3324 2013-08-01 12:31:43

drcouzelis
Website

jacobgrevald wrote:

Actually, I use parabola, but for most cases I still consider my self to be an acrh user... Does anyone have a different view?

Unfortunately, distributions derived from Arch Linux are not supported on these forums. sad

But you're still perfectly welcome to read, post, and contribute to the Arch Linux forums. smile Just keep in mind that any thread where you say "I'm having a technical problem with Parabola Linux..." someone will respond "This forum is for Arch Linux technical support. Please ask your question on the Parabola Linux forums."

Anyway, welcome!

It's been a couple years now since I've used a 100% free Linux distribution. One of the biggest challenges was video card drivers. What video card do you use? Do you use hardware accelerated graphics software (3D video games, compix...)?

Another "challenge" was getting around needing Adobe Flash, but I think that's a lot easier nowadays with the growing prevalence of HTML5 video and people using the Internet from mobile phones.

CLARIFICATION: Since more people use the Internet from mobile phones, more websites are being designed using open standards that are supported on those phones.

Last edited by drcouzelis (2013-08-01 13:18:09)

#3325 2013-08-01 12:52:48

jacobgrevald
Website

drcouzelis wrote:

What video card do you use? Do you use hardware accelerated graphics software (3D video games, compix...)?

I don't really play games, or have any other real uses for hardware accelerated graphics (except mayby for simulation software like celestia).. Anyway, I haven't been able to get either nouveau or the nvidia drivers to works easily on Arch either, and haven't really any motivation to invest a lot of time in it.

drcouzelis wrote:

Another "challenge" was getting around needing Adobe Flash, but I think that's a lot easier nowadays with the growing prevalence of HTML5 video and people using the Internet from mobile phones.

Well, since only my server uses parabola right now, I guess I should be looking forward to these problems on my laptop smile I was really lucky on my server. I had no problems at all with parabola, I simply use it like it was arch..

drcouzelis wrote:

Unfortunately, distributions derived from Arch Linux are not supported on these forums.

I know, and I will refrain from posting issues which I know could be related to running parabola.

Board footer