You are not logged in.

#26 2013-07-29 23:29:28

WonderWoofy

Re: Filesystem corruption --- how to prevent?

You really need to read through the btrfs wiki.  All these things are really honestly covered there. 

Quotas are a bit confusing, I must admit.  But you can turn them on and off with "btrfs quota enable/disable <path>" (which by the way is exactly what the command "btrfs quota --help" I gave above would ahve told you).

There are two ways to specify subvolume, you can do it in the fstab, but you can also do it from the kernel command line.  So if you do it form the kernel command line, you can change it as needed before boot, assuming that you know the path to the snapshot (or the subvolid) you wish to use.  Again, this is in the btrfs wiki.

#27 2013-07-30 03:32:22

Scimmia
Fellow

g3n3r1c wrote:

@Scimmia: May I ask for the mount options you use for your btrfs-(sub-)-volumes? I just setup the laptop with btrfs. Do you think "inode_cache" (btrfs mount options) is safe? I also wonder if i should use "recovery","check_int" and "check_int_data".

I use noatime,compress=lzo,space_cache but listen to WonderWoofy, not me. He follows btrfs a lot more closely than I do.

#28 2013-07-30 08:28:19

g3n3r1c

WonderWoofy wrote:

which by the way is exactly what the command "btrfs quota --help" I gave above would ahve told you

I looked at the output before asking my question. I just was and still am unsure if it can be done when mounted (because of this: quota in btrfs).

I read the the wiki aswell, but in terms of things like 'quotas' and 'qgroups' I honestly would have not known what to even look for.

Last edited by g3n3r1c (2013-07-30 08:30:35)

#29 2013-07-30 13:45:39

WonderWoofy

Most things can be done while mounted with btrfs.  Of course this excludes the all the recovery functions, which have to be done with the filesystem totally offline.   I'm not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, (and I'm too lazy to go back and look), but if you are going to be using btrfs, it is probably a good idea to use WorMzy's btrfs-progs-git package from the AUR.  It pulls the btrfs-progs straight from Chris Mason's upstream git tree.  So because new stuff gets implemented pretty often, you will often see things show up in the git tree that don't make it to the arch package for a while.

#30 2013-07-30 19:08:36

g3n3r1c

I wrote a little howto on how one can setup automatically bootable snapshots provided one has installed the root filesystem into a btrfs subvolume. I'd like to post it somewhere to give something back to the community --- but I don't know where --- what would be the right place? (I do not want to pollute this thread (any more))

#31 2013-07-30 19:10:57

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@g3 - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Btrfs or better to make a tips/trick page off that one and place it there.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#32 2013-07-30 19:18:46

WonderWoofy

+1 to the creation of a "tips/tricks" page for btrfs as the proper place for something like that.  But TBH, I really think that the btrfs page needs some updating to reflect some of the advanced features that are available.  Though it covers the basics, the btrfs page really does not go in depth in regard to what the filesystem and userspace tools can do.  In fact, I kind of think that the things that it does cover is pretty sparse in detail.

#33 2013-07-30 21:49:41

g3n3r1c

The wiki page is ready (version 0.1) --- Btrfs - Tips and tricks

I wrote a warning for the script (because of possible data loss if it is used incorrectly), but I want to say, that I encountered no problems.

Please tell me your suggestions on what to change (improve) and why.

Board footer