You are not logged in.

#1 2005-12-19 15:46:06

thegnu
Website

Arch64 sounds studio -OR- help get me out of FC3

Hey everybody,  It's been a while since I've been on the messageboards.  My computer died before I went on vacation, and on my return I decided to set up a Linux recording studio.  I decided to go with the Planet CCRMA version of FC3 so I could see what they consider to be "proper function" for their audio apps.

So I've pretty much got it, and I still hate RPMs.  I'd also like to take advantage of my 64-bitness, but since I haven't been around, I don't know how Arch 64 is going.  My rig:

Athlon 64 3000+
1GB dual channel DDR
NF4-SLI motherboard
Geforce 6600GT 128MB PCIe
100GB ATA WD HDD - OS
120GB SATA WD HDD - Music library
200GB SATA Samsung HDD - Recording
BenQ DVD-RW
RME HDSP9652

I'm using a Presonus DigiMAX 96k as mic preamps, with ADAT lightpipe into the HDSP9652.  I'm wondering if there are any people out there doing similar things on Arch64, and how it's going for them.  Questions:

1. Can I usually just recompile most Arch packages and have them work, or are those the exception?

2. Does anybody have Ardour up and running with the LADSPA plugins listed at the CCRMA site?  How about with RME hardware?
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/s … world.html

3. I see there's a wiki entry for installing Arch64, but there's also an install CD at www.arch64.org.  Should I just be able to install off the CD like I do the normal Arch CD?

If I get up and running, I'll be happy to maintain apps I use and I wouldn't mind using my computer as a compiling box for 64-bit stuff.  Apps I use (some better than others):

Ardour
HDSPConf
HDSPMixer
LADSPA
Rezound
JAMin
Freqtweak
Ceres3
Hydrogen

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.  I wouldn't mind that much just running i686 Arch for the time being.  I'm looking forward to being back in Arch again. smile

fffft!

#2 2005-12-24 00:39:15

thegnu
Website

Re: Arch64 sounds studio -OR- help get me out of FC3

I'm in Arch again.  AaaaahHH!!! Thank God.  it's like, you can f8king tell it what to do, and it DOES IT!

Oh, my.  I am flush with the glory of Ardour working without any tweaking!  FLUSH!

No 64 bit yet, but soon to come.  WEEE!

fffft!

Board footer