You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-31 13:17:28

Hysoka

Troubles with WiFi setup

Hi there, I am new in the Arch-world, and I am having some troubles in installing this OS.

I have read every documentation file I found in the web, unfortunately I can't connect the pc to my wifi network.

First, I used LiLi to create a bootable iso on my IoMega HD.

I followed (mainly, but not only because I read other resources on the web) the Wiki wireless setup guide, but with no success.

I have a broadcom wifi card (BCM4313) and according to Ubuntu doc I should not have any troubles.

Using the "wifi-menu" command, I get this error message:

Job for netctl@wlp10s0\x2dTNCAPD1D28F.service failed. See 'systemctl status netctl@wlps0\x2dTNCAPD1D28F.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

Thank you very much!

#2 2013-07-31 14:22:51

Lone_Wolf

Re: Troubles with WiFi setup

See 'systemctl status netctl@wlps0\x2dTNCAPD1D28F.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.

please post the output of those 2 commands

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2013-07-31 14:46:51

Hysoka

Thanks for the reply!

journalctl -xn

systemctl status netctl@wlps0x2dTNCAPD1D28F.service (screen was a little dirty lol)

#4 2013-07-31 14:55:21

cris9288

I have the same chip in my HP dv4. The wiki says bcm4313 is supported and uses the brcmsmac module, but that's bunch of crap because I could never get that module to work properly. In any case, have you tried setting up your wifi with broadcom-wl?

#5 2013-07-31 15:48:31

Hysoka

Do you mean this process https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Br … roadcom-wl?
It doesn't work. During the first steps I have to remove some modules, but it says those modules are not currently loaded.

P.S. when I am using the shell, before the root@archiso sometimes appears a number  (127, 1, etc...) .
What does it mean?

#6 2013-07-31 15:55:48

cris9288

if those modules aren't loaded then you can proceed to the next steps. For broadcom-wl to work, the other modules (brcmsmac) have to be removed. If you install broadcom-wl from the aur, it will create a file which automatically blackulists those modules. You then have to make sure you load wl, and it's deps (may be loaded automatically) at boot.

Also, keep in mind that the interface names might be different from the brcmsmac names under the wl module. Always check iwconfig/ip link. The numbers that appear in front of your prompt are the return values from the previous operation, I believe.

what modules do you have loaded right now? You can check with lsmod.

#7 2013-07-31 16:36:53

Hysoka

cris9288 wrote:

if those modules aren't loaded then you can proceed to the next steps. For broadcom-wl to work, the other modules (brcmsmac) have to be removed. If you install broadcom-wl from the aur, it will create a file which automatically blackulists those modules. You then have to make sure you load wl, and it's deps (may be loaded automatically) at boot.

Also, keep in mind that the interface names might be different from the brcmsmac names under the wl module. Always check iwconfig/ip link. The numbers that appear in front of your prompt are the return values from the previous operation, I believe.

what modules do you have loaded right now? You can check with lsmod.

When I write # modprobe wl, I get another error message:

modprobe: FATAL: Module wl not found

Right now I am unable to take a photo, so this is the list of the modules (note that the list fills the display, so probably there are more mods up):

--------
lis3lv02d
mei
ac
input_polldev
battery
processor
evdev
lpc_ich
nfs
lockd
sunrpc
fscache
ext4
crc16
mbcache
jbd2
dm_snapshot
dm_mod
squashfs
loop
nls_cp437
vfat
fat
usb_storage
sr_mod
cdrom
sd_mod
rtsx_pci_sdmmc
mmc_core
ahci
libahci
i915
libata
intel_agp
intel_gtt
crc32c_intel
nouveau
i2c_algo_bit
mxm_wmi
ttm
scsi_mod
drm_kms_helper
ehci_pci
xhci_hcd
rtsx_pci
ehci_hcd
r8169
mii
drm
usbcore
usb_common
i2c_core
wmi
video
button

--------

#8 2013-07-31 16:52:08

cris9288

So you don't have any of the necessary network modules loaded...if modprobe fails because it cannot find a module then that means you do not even have the module installed. I suggest doing a bit more reading around the Broadcom wireless wiki page.

#9 2013-07-31 17:38:07

Hysoka

cris9288 wrote:

So you don't have any of the necessary network modules loaded...if modprobe fails because it cannot find a module then that means you do not even have the module installed. I suggest doing a bit more reading around the Broadcom wireless wiki page.

I read in this page that my device is not supported (my PCI-ID is 14e4:4727), but says there is an alternative.
I can't get how to install what is missing. Could you be more specific?
Thank you.

#10 2013-07-31 18:35:47

cris9288

well, like I said, you need to comb over the Broadcom Wireless wiki very carefully. There are 3 modules for Broadcom cards... brcm80211 (or brcmsmac i believe), b43, and wl. The page you visited is listing compatibility for the b43 module. For your card (which is the same as mine), b43 is not supported...you instead have to use brcmsmac or wl. I'm going to assume that you have brcmsmac by default, and your card doesn't work very well with that driver. To get wl to work (and this is detailed in the wiki) you have to actually install a package from the aur (broadcom-wl) and blacklist and load the appropriate modules.

#11 2013-07-31 19:10:32

Hysoka

cris9288 wrote:

well, like I said, you need to comb over the Broadcom Wireless wiki very carefully. There are 3 modules for Broadcom cards... brcm80211 (or brcmsmac i believe), b43, and wl. The page you visited is listing compatibility for the b43 module. For your card (which is the same as mine), b43 is not supported...you instead have to use brcmsmac or wl. I'm going to assume that you have brcmsmac by default, and your card doesn't work very well with that driver. To get wl to work (and this is detailed in the wiki) you have to actually install a package from the aur (broadcom-wl) and blacklist and load the appropriate modules.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am sorry for bothering you, but how may I download and install a package from the web when I can't even connect to internet?

#12 2013-07-31 20:19:51

cris9288

Is your arch machine able to connect via a wired connection? That would be easiest of course. Otherwise it might be a little tricky without another machine running arch. Someone better versed in building packages might be able to help. Basically, if you download the tarball, along with the sources from the upstream URL on another machine, you should be able to build the package without accessing the internet since all makepkg (in regards to its internet usage) does is fetch the sources from the URL provided in the PKGBUILD. You might have to do some tweaking to the PKGBUILD file, but again, i'm not the most qualified person on the subject. I always have a wired connection available to run makepkg and then pacman -U.

#13 2013-08-01 08:57:03

Hysoka

cris9288 wrote:

Is your arch machine able to connect via a wired connection? That would be easiest of course. Otherwise it might be a little tricky without another machine running arch. Someone better versed in building packages might be able to help. Basically, if you download the tarball, along with the sources from the upstream URL on another machine, you should be able to build the package without accessing the internet since all makepkg (in regards to its internet usage) does is fetch the sources from the URL provided in the PKGBUILD. You might have to do some tweaking to the PKGBUILD file, but again, i'm not the most qualified person on the subject. I always have a wired connection available to run makepkg and then pacman -U.

As you suggested, I used the wired connection to go on with the installation (I followed the wiki page). But now I am unable to install the bootloader (I prefer grub).
Now I am connected to the web, but I still get this error:

I hit #pacman -S grub:

warning: database file for 'core' does not exist
error: target not found: grub

(if this question is off-topic, I can open another thread).

Thanks again!

EDIT: Problem solved.

Last edited by Hysoka (2013-08-01 10:21:30)

#14 2013-08-01 16:48:45

Hysoka

I did some mistakes during grub configuration, because just after the reboot, OS doesn't start and says:
----
GRUB loading.
Welcome to GRUB!
error: ELF header smaller than expected.
Entering rescue mode...
----

So I guess I have to reinstall grub. The fact is that, with the interface of above, I am unable to do anything!

I used Rescatux to restore grub, but it didn't help me. Thanks.

#15 2013-08-01 17:04:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Hysoka, grub is not likely the problem - instead it is something grub is trying to load - most likely the kernel.

The previous message where you said you solved the pacman problem ... how did you solve it?  That looks like not all your partitions were properly mounted.  If /boot/ was not mounted or writable when you did an upgrade, that could explain this error.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#16 2013-08-01 17:11:56

Hysoka

Trilby wrote:

Hysoka, grub is not likely the problem - instead it is something grub is trying to load - most likely the kernel.

The previous message where you said you solved the pacman problem ... how did you solve it?  That looks like not all your partitions were properly mounted.  If /boot/ was not mounted or writable when you did an upgrade, that could explain this error.

I simply followed the guide step by step, installing grub with pacman. I restored the wired connection and downloaded all the grub files (it was gone, but I don't know why).
Probably you are right when you say /boot was not mounted. Is there a way to repair what I did?

Thanks for your reply!

Board footer